IGNORED

Brics Early WIP

VGAGuy

This is a very early demo of a game I'm working on, called Brics for now(any better names?).

The goal is to fill up the screen with bricks while dodging the swinging I-Beams.

However I have 2 major problems:

1 The game needs a 3 digit(or four with the first unused) timer AND the 6 digit score

2 the game needs the detect when a screen is full

I also would like a changing player sprite but that is for later on.

BricsWIP.bin

Edited by VGAGuy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you are still trying to add a way to detect when the screen is full, but you could use a counter that keeps track of how many bricks you have laid. It seems to be a 31x11 grid, which would be 341 bricks, so you would need to use 9 bits of RAM rather than a single byte.

I'm not sure if you are still trying to add a way to detect when the screen is full, but you could use a counter that keeps track of how many bricks you have laid. It seems to be a 31x11 grid, which would be 341 bricks, so you would need to use 9 bits of RAM rather than a single byte.

How would do this in 9 bits? Obviously you can do a counter to 512 is 9 bits, but if the bricks can be laid in a random fashion, you end up with a table that is much more complicated than a simple counter, don't you?

How would do this in 9 bits? Obviously you can do a counter to 512 is 9 bits, but if the bricks can be laid in a random fashion, you end up with a table that is much more complicated than a simple counter, don't you?

At the start of the level, you would set the "brick counter" to the number of bricks in a completed screen (341 in this case). Then every time you lay a new brick it would subtract 1 from the counter. When the counter reaches 0, the level is complete. (This doesn't keep track of where each brick is, because that is already taken care of in the program.)

As far as how to set up the 9 bits in RAM, I would set an 8-bit counter to 85 initially (341-256=85) and use any free bit in RAM to act as a "switch". So when the counter reaches 0 it first checks the switch bit before ending the level. If the bit is set, clear it for the next time, and then the second time the counter reaches 0 you can end the level.

Just make sure you are only checking the counter after a new brick is layed and the counter is updated, rather than on every frame. Otherwise the level would end right after the "switch" bit gets turned off if the counter stays at 0 for the next frame.

I hope that isn't confusing!

Edited by JeremiahK

At the start of the level, you would set the "brick counter" to the number of bricks in a completed screen (341 in this case). Then every time you lay a new brick it would subtract 1 from the counter. When the counter reaches 0, the level is complete. (This doesn't keep track of where each brick is, because that is already taken care of in the program.)

As far as how to set up the 9 bits in RAM, I would set an 8-bit counter to 85 initially (341-256=85) and use any free bit in RAM to act as a "switch". So when the counter reaches 0 it first checks the switch bit before ending the level. If the bit is set, clear it for the next time, and then the second time the counter reaches 0 you can end the level.

Just make sure you are only checking the counter after a new brick is layed and the counter is updated, rather than on every frame. Otherwise the level would end right after the "switch" bit gets turned off if the counter stays at 0 for the next frame.

I hope that isn't confusing!

Not at all, makes perfect sense.I was thinking more along the lines of knowing which areas have a tile or brick or whatever and it seems to me that you would need a bit for every brick location. So if there are 341 bricks, you would need 341 bits. I thought he actually wanted to keep track of these things (which he would need to do anyway to accurately draw the screen). I've never programmed a 2600 though.

• Like 1