Photo

Shamus fixed for XL/XEs with title music?

81 replies to this topic

#76 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,187 posts

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:09 PM

The IRQ firing again problem is probably key bounce.  The OS even caters for it by ignoring "same key again" IRQs for 3 frames.

So you could do the same... but that needs a frame counter ie VBlank.  So doing it by VBlank is probably the better approach anyway.

Do those bounce keypresses get stored somewhere? Even if I stay on the pause screen for a minute, I still get another interrupt when I RTI.

Thanks for the VBLANK tip. Works like a charm.

#77 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,223 posts

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:28 PM

There's no "key up" event or IRQ.

The debounce thing though is common with mechanical switches like keyboards use.  When the key's released there's a break in contact but sometimes there's a brief moment of contact again sufficient to register a keypress.

The Atari approach to it (you can browse the kb IRQ code and Stage 2 VBlank to see it) is to maintain a countdown whenever a key is pressed.

In the IRQ code, if the received key is the same as the previous one, it's ignored if the previous keypress is the same and occurred less than 3 frames previous.

Your problem of recurring IRQ, I'm not sure.  Generally you clear then re-enable IRQEN bits in your IRQ and quickly return.

I'm not sure what action occurs if it's a long duration IRQ.  In theory it shouldn't matter so long as you've done that clear/re-enable sequence.

All I can suggest to try is to do the clear/re-enable to IRQEN twice - at the start of the IRQ and also when fire has been pressed and you're about to resume the game.

#78 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,187 posts

Posted Tue Oct 3, 2017 12:36 AM

A quick update. I have given up on the keyboard interrupt and am now trying to return to the VBI code for pausing which I foolishly did not save until I had started changing to IRQ. Still debugging this. Manual/Writeup is quite sizeable but needs some reformatting.

There will be no map, this is too complicated for the moment. Maybe in a future version.

Feels a bit like home stretch.

#79 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,223 posts

Posted Tue Oct 3, 2017 1:05 AM

Half the point of the game is that there's no map and you need to memorize it - not that it's exactly complex.

• slx likes this

#80 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,187 posts

Posted Tue Oct 3, 2017 1:12 AM

Half the point of the game is that there's no map and you need to memorize it - not that it's exactly complex.

I still remember rough directions thirty years later, if not every room. While I did draw a map of level black and blue from memory as a teenager, I could not repeat that feat for levels green and red, just too frenzied running around and defending oneself for the synapses to store enough data for later reproduction. Would have been easier in a team with one guy keeping the Shadow frozen while the other draws. Never had anyone to recruit for such work :?

While your point is absolutely true for a single game, there's quite a lot to memorize for tournament mode, with 640 rooms total :-o

Interestingly the C64 did not allow you to play mazes in sequence, it didn't even loop around. It just dropped you back into the menu when you had finished off the Shadow in room 127.   

#81 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,187 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 8:19 AM

I took me some time to recreate my VBI code which I had not saved in a working state before trying got a decently working version with VBI which I'll freeze. While I have completed the write-up as well, Pages has scrambled text and pictures, so I'll have to reformat that (and maybe do the patched Gateway to Apshai before the current HSC round ends ;-) but hope to be able to get the finished package out well before Christmas ;)

#82 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,187 posts

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:10 PM

I have finally finished Shamus+. Please look here.

Thanksf for all the support and encouragement I got!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users