IGNORED

Disk Format questions

Everett1954

hahahaha - I stand in reverence to the master then! I have been working on it for the last couple of hours. So far... I can make this work...

mame64 ti99_4a -window

I have the roms in the ti99_4a directory, however I can't seem to figure out how -peb:slot2 32kmem is supposed to happen. I just get the Error: unknown option message.

Baby steps I figure - it took me 90 minutes to get this far. Ideally, I need a machine with 32K, floppy and hard disk. Going to try and virtualize my DB environment. I like the possibility of connecting to it with tiimagetool - that would actually solve my data migration and backup problems. Classic99 just crashes with TI-BASE... there is something fundamentally wrong with the IO emulation I a guessing.

In any event - just a few pointers to get me headed in the right direction would be awesome. Such as where can I get the cart images and where do they go? (\cartidges) ???

Is there a single place with recent documentation on getting it going?

How come the -flop1 option is unknown

Sorting through a lot of questions and data from Google but most of it doesn't seem to work.

First important information: What version are you using? The command line arguments have changed some time ago to make it possible to emulate side car peripherals.

If you are using 0.187 or 0.188:

mame64 ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot8 hfdc -flop1 someimage.dsk

For earlier releases:

mame64 ti99_4a -peb:slot2 32kmem -peb:slot8 hfdc -flop1 someimage.dsk

The disk images may be in any folder; you have to specify the path name of the file. The cartridges go into the roms folder (for ZIP cartridges). You can get them from whtech (/Cartridges).

To prepare a hard disk I suggest you use my TIImageTool because the chdman tool from MAME is arguably a bit more complicated. In many cases, TIImageTool is intended to help where it gets "less intuitive" in MAME.

Once you created a hard disk image (suggested file suffix: .hd) you can mount it in MAME:

mame64 ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot8 hfdc -flop1 somefloppy.dsk -ioport:peb:slot8:h1 generic -hard1 someharddisk.hd
Put this in a batch file or script file so it won't bother you anymore.

Explanation: ioport is a "slot" in MAME terms. Each device that is plugged into a slot (here the PEB) may introduce new slots where devices are plugged in etc. The deepest one here is the hard disk connector h1. You can choose between some predefined HD types (from Seagate, e.g. ST-225) where the image geometry must exactly match, or you take the "generic" type that adapts to the image file automatically (i.e. it grows some platters if required).

Ah yes, sorry... (I already wondered why it does not look that long after all.)

By the way, the reason why one does not need to specify the floppy drive type in the same way is that drive 1 and 2 are preset as 5.25" 40 track drives. If you need another kind of drive (like 80 track) you can configure it for the connectors f1 to f4 respectively.

Edited by mizapf

This is pretty impressive - so far it is running TI-BASE without a hitch. Any way to adjust the speed? Also, any way to get it to talk to a HDX server? Has anyone tried CFHDX or even contemplated loading the HDX RS-232 mod DSR?

Thank you!!! This has made my day!!!

"Adjust the speed" means "faster", I suppose? This is not possible. The emulated devices are designed to run at the real speed, including the HFDC with its MFM drives operating at 10 Mcells/s, that is, 5 Mbit/s. Seek times are selected via the emulated controller chip and may range from 0.1 to 3.2 ms (unless the drives allows for buffered steps).

The only way to get it faster is to use a Ramdisk (Horizon 4000 is available), but I don't know whether this is supported by TI-Base.

On my plans is an emulation of a SCSI drive and one of the SCSI cards; this should give us another speed boost.

• Like 1

This should be possible. However, you need the serial bridge from TIImageTool in between. The idea is that TIMT opens a socket on one side and communicates via the real RS232 on the other side, and MAME will then connect to this socket. You would need to install RXTX (serial support for Java) in addition.

Can't seem to make the serial bridge work - the option appears in the menu, seems like it's installed in Java OK (well, at least according to the direction) - but selecting the option in tiimagetool seems to stop the application. (oddly, I can navigate the menus and select files to open but nothing happens).

Are there some documented examples of this working that I could set up and get going. That might lead me down the right path.

• 4 months later...

Michael,

Trying to run the Geneve under the MAME emulation. What is wrong with this command line:

c:\MAME>mame64 geneve -ioport:peb -ioport:peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 -ioport:peb:slot8:h1 generic -hard1 c:\disks\Bootdisk1-V5.hd

I am getting an "Error: unknown option: -ioport:peb"

Might not hurt to post your batch files you have on here or somewhere else for others to edit if they need too.

Thanks.

Beery

Ah, sorry. Yes, I just saw it: The Geneve emulation does not specify the PEB as a separate device as the TI does. So while you have to specify -ioport:peb for the TI, the PEB is set as a part of the Geneve itself.

mame64 geneve -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard1 c:\disks\Bootdisk1-V5.hd

The reason is that I wanted the PEB to be detachable from the TI emulation, which is not possible for the Geneve.

I got it to work. Unfortunately, the program (BEURS) appears to have an issue with 9938 after the title screen. Something in the video is not setup right. I get the same thing with MESS and MAME. I will have to dig through some ode to see the specific point when things go sour in the emulation.

Beery

• Like 1