Photo

Unpopular games that you like?

84 replies to this topic

#76 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• 10,026 posts

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:44 AM

It seems that "unpopular" and "underrated" are closely associated in people's minds, but I didn't immediately make that connection when I read this thread title.  I made the assumption that the TS was talking about games that other people had actually played but decided they did not like.  Then of course you have to hear about the fact that they don't like the game, play it yourself and decide you like it.  Anyway blah blah

Some that were mentioned that I also like are Star Ship and Communist Mutants from Outer Space.  I seem to read negative things about these two from time to time.

One game that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Mouse Trap.  Every once in a while Mouse Trap seems to come up and people aren't very favorable toward it.  I like it and like the fact that holding down the button has a different function than just tapping it.  How many other 2600 games have that same mechanic?

I just recently discovered Commie Mutants. I think it's a lot of fun. Maybe not the greatest Atari space shooter but certainly not bad IMO.

#77 Tony The 2600 OFFLINE  

Tony The 2600

Moonsweeper

• 321 posts
  • 1.19 MHz

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:56 AM

Limit myself two games...

1. Reactor

2. Planet Patrol

Both underrated and great fun

#78 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 6,563 posts
  • Sherlock made it to 15 before he left us.

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:15 AM

One game that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Mouse Trap.  Every once in a while Mouse Trap seems to come up and people aren't very favorable toward it.  I like it and like the fact that holding down the button has a different function than just tapping it.  How many other 2600 games have that same mechanic?

Mouse Trap is a good game. :thumbsup:

#79 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Go Sleep In the Cold

• 13,298 posts
  • \m/

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:25 AM

One game that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Mouse Trap.  Every once in a while Mouse Trap seems to come up and people aren't very favorable toward it. 

Cuz it's so watered down from the arcade game. There are no prizes in the maze and I think there are only 3 cats. Way too easy of a game. This game really shines on the ColecoVision.

I just recently discovered Commie Mutants. I think it's a lot of fun. Maybe not the greatest Atari space shooter but certainly not bad IMO.

I love this game. A handful of options from the game menu to change things up.

Limit myself two games...

1. Reactor

2. Planet Patrol

Both underrated and great fun

I like both of these games.

Mouse Trap is a good game. icon_thumbsup.gif

icon_thumbsdown.gif

#80 save2600 ONLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 13,917 posts

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 AM

What, some hate Mouse Trap? I think it's excellent and yeah, the dual purpose/single button mechanic is ingenious. Had it growing up and played quite a bit of course. Best Pac-Man clone (with a twist!) on the VCS, that still holds up extremely well today IMO.

#81 up2knowgood ONLINE  

up2knowgood

Star Raider

• 91 posts

Posted Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:29 AM

I like Name This Game and Win $10,000. Though there is no chance of getting that money. I find the game amusing.

#82 matthew954 OFFLINE  

matthew954

Space Invader

• 35 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:20 PM

For me, ET and Journey Escape.  ET is frustrating as all get out, but I think that's some of the games overall charm.  Or being stubborn lol.  Journey Escape is I think more of a shmup with the exception of not shooting everything. Plus I like the fact that it actually plays music. So far other than my Juno First homebrew, I have yet to find another Atari game that actually has a music track.  Although I'm sure there are.

#83 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,109 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:32 PM

One of my favorites is Laser Gates. I also really like barnstorming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#84 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• 10,026 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 AM

One of my favorites is Laser Gates. I also really like barnstorming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed on both fronts. I recently picked up Laser Volley which is the Zellers version of Laser Gates, which for me was much easier to find than the real Imagic title. Very fun game. I've also had a soft spot for Barnstorming. Although not great it's a fun little few minutes of game play when I sit down for an Atari session. I had it as a kid so that's probably part of it.

#85 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,109 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:33 PM

Agreed on both fronts. I recently picked up Laser Volley which is the Zellers version of Laser Gates, which for me was much easier to find than the real Imagic title. Very fun game. I've also had a soft spot for Barnstorming. Although not great it's a fun little few minutes of game play when I sit down for an Atari session. I had it as a kid so that's probably part of it.

I agree with barnstorming. I only play it in 5-15 minute sessions. It reminds me of Laser Gates somehow. I didn't know about Laser Volley. Thanks for the tip.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users