Photo

Joystick extension cables for tight joystick ports

6 replies to this topic

#1 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• 10,012 posts

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:18 AM

It seems aside from a tight cartridge slot, the 7800 (at least mine) have a very tight set of joystick ports as well. Everytime I plug in a joystick or set of paddles and then take them out I feel like I will break the port itself or the pins inside. I thought about buying a couple of extension cables and just leaving them in the system and just swapping out controllers from there. I was wondering if these will work and if not can someone recommend something else

#2 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,162 posts

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:14 AM

I've done what you have thought of doing.  ;)

I use Sega Genesis extension cables without any issue with native 7800 controllers, "homebrew" controllers, a2600 joysticks, a2600 paddles, with an Edladdin adapter, and with an AtariVox without any issue.

From the auction, the picture looks just like the ones I utilize. As long as the extension cable supports what the auction claims, they should work fine.  :)

#3 edladdin OFFLINE  

edladdin

Moonsweeper

• 405 posts

Posted Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:24 PM

That cord looks fine.  We buy them by the case to convert into controller cords, and they all seem to come from the same two factories in China, so the eBay ones are most likely going to be a good as any others.

#4 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,012 posts

Posted Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm curious if the tight ports are common in the 7800

#5 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 3,680 posts

Posted Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm curious if the tight ports are common in the 7800

Yes. Everything about the 7800 is tight.
All plug ins... cart, joystick, even rf cable.

#6 sixersfan105 OFFLINE  

sixersfan105

Chopper Commander

• 130 posts

Posted Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:53 AM

I went with these a few weeks back. work great. they were on sale for $9.85 at the time (looks like they've since gone up), so if you needed two at that sale price, they had been essentially the same price as that overseas listing, but you'd get these much faster. cheers.

http://www.ebay.com/...872.m2749.l2649

#7 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,012 posts

Posted Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:38 AM

I went with these a few weeks back. work great. they were on sale for $9.85 at the time (looks like they've since gone up), so if you needed two at that sale price, they had been essentially the same price as that overseas listing, but you'd get these much faster. cheers.

http://www.ebay.com/...872.m2749.l2649

I'll consider them. They use that global shipping program though, so there's about a 50% chance they get lost. 

On a side note this is officially my 10,000th post :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users