IGNORED

"We are still fighting with transitions..." VBXE Demo released

Heaven/TQA

Code: Heaven
Grafics: Ozan and Sim
Music: Triace (main tune) and Vedder (end tune)
released at Nordlicht 2017 demo party in oldschool compo.
Heaven, 21th July 2017

attachted the latest party version... not tested except on my 65XE VBXE at $D6xx... so bare in mind it might have issues on other configs.

post-528-0-49233800-1500758011.gif

DSR_Nordlicht_2017.xex

• Like 11

I'm just thinking how the hell are the rotating triangles done as they have graduated colour at arbitrary angles?

Is that what the pattern was all about? Do you have tables of pre fabricated colour graduations or something?

Mistake in the text - palette colours are actually only 21-bit.

The pattern issue came up in the realtime plasma in the greetings section. When testing and coding in old altirra it looked ok with a 128x128 plasma doubled with pattern feature while on real HW it showed wrong. And in that scene even it flickered on real Hw.

So thanks to Avery he actually updates Altirra so pattern feature of Blitter bug was removed so it works with 64x size instead of 128x and it was more cycle precise. So I could

Finish demo in time :)

• Like 3

Gouraud shading is done Amiga OCS Blitter way... (similar to the way I have done it on Atari Lynx). One big gradient table and the scan edge of the poly filler picks the desired start color (entry point) of the big gradient table and scales the line with y step. The fraction steps are done with a blowed up scaled up line and the y step.

• Like 2

Glad guys that you like our first try on VBXE... I had that machine in my house for more than 8 years and Jac fixed it last year and I thought ok... after Lynx in da house i should give VBXE a try... and i have to say.... nice nice hardware.

While in development Avery saved my ass with doing a hot fix to Altirra and improved VBXE compability to real HW.

So kudos to him.

• Like 3

Hello Karolj

I had expected a demo of the VBXE to be much more "non-Atari 8 bit". But this looks a lot like our beloved 8 bit computer. Especially the characters/font.

Very well done!

Sincerely

Mathy

PS I see that a trip to the Lengenfeld would take you two hours LESS than me. The Fujiama 2017 will be held from the 17th to the 20th of August. You'll be amazed how much Atari knowledge you will find there....

My aim was to use features of A8 when necessary. And as I was not familiar with fonts and attributes yet on VBXE I used what I can write in minutes - a vertical scroller.

I even thought I run into danger to use only VBXE features and the demo looks like a Amiga one... but ppl would complain about the POKEY and the slow CPU... but when using VBXE gfx which look like DOS. So I told gfx guys to use max 16 or 32 colors for logos. ;)

• Like 1

bad synchro with Rapidus, probably illegal CPU6502 instruction

works fine with classic 6502 :)

Tebe, did it run on which VBXE version? Have you tested it on real machine?

Asking because I got following message:

Hi, Heaven. Your demo looks great, but I can't run a 3D City part on the real VBXE with FX core v1.26a. The demo hangs always before this part, no matter if I run it from SIDE Loader, XBios or PicoBoot. After that I must turn-off and turn-on the computer beacuse VBXE stopped outputting video signal (pressing Reset doesn't help)... This part works only on Altirra with VBXE emulation if I load it as XEX file.

Altirra's EXE loader is issuing a warning when the demo exits the init section to load the city portion:

EXE: Loading program F8C9-FF7E to B682-BD37
EXE: Loading program FF83-1010D to BE00-BF8A
EXE: Loading program 10112-10113 to 02E2-02E3
EXE: Jumping to 0D5C
EXE: Warning: Kernel ROM disabled by init segment.
EXE: Loading program 1011A-1013C to 1000-1022
EXE: Loading program 10141-1035F to 0C00-0E1E
EXE: Loading program 10364-1130A to 5500-64A6

yes, 3D City did't works

3D city alternatives:

- Ergo Bibamus (last part): http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3541

from 5:26 onwards; very slow!

press Start, Select, Option, firebutton to move around the city in a way you want

- Total Daze (after the greetings): http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3686

from 9:24 onwards

- Near: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7158

from 2:20 onwards

and maybe others.

Edited by CharlieChaplin