IGNORED

Space Game

Karl G

I did some ugly hacks of the asm code to make the 48 pixel minikernels as well as the score kernel display correctly on the AFP. The 96 pixel minikernel could probably also be similarly hacked, but I decided to just stick with the 48 pixel minikernels for the AFP version.

I don't want to put up my hacked versions for download since I don't want to create confusion with the official version, but I can send you what I have with instructions if you are wanting to use the titlescreen kernel with the AFP.

I'd love to. I play my portable all the time and really wanted to make games specifically for it.

• 1 month later...

We had a great weekend at PRGE! So many great games, and cool people. It was exciting to finally see Space Game for sale at the AtariAge booth! The box, cart, and manual all look great.

Maggie managed to get a winning game during the convention, too! I personally haven't yet made it past wave 9 without cheating. :)

post-48311-0-52079000-1540256281_thumb.jpg

post-48311-0-05744300-1540255512_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Space Game is in the AtariAge store now! :)

https://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1173

The cart version adds AtariVOX high score saving support (thanks to RevEng and his driver), as well as a bonus wave.

The code for the AtariAge splash screen was "borrowed" from Star Castle Arcade with permission from Thomas Jentzsch, and the music, as usual, was done by Maggie.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Karl, just played the game have to say its a great game. glad you won Atari awards its being used in my 2019 Harmony Games Tournament

I'm so glad that you liked the game, and cannot wait to see how everyone does. I had never played it on these settings before, so I had to give it a shot. It really makes it feel like the later levels WAY TOO EARLY! Great challenge, though. I want to try and improve my score. I really didn't expext to finish it on my first try. Thanks for including the game!

post-61618-0-22889800-1557621370_thumb.jpg

Edited by mvo
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I know im a bit late to the party, but I LOVE this game! I don't have the physical release ( im planning on getting it alongside a Atari 2600) but from what I have played on an emulator, it is very fun. It would be nice to see maybe a sequel to this game in the future :D

• Like 4

I know im a bit late to the party, but I LOVE this game! I don't have the physical release ( im planning on getting it alongside a Atari 2600) but from what I have played on an emulator, it is very fun. It would be nice to see maybe a sequel to this game in the future :D

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy it. Some kind of sequel could eventually happen. Just last week Maggie and I half-jokingly discussed the idea of a Space Game Jr. :)

• Like 2

We'll be featuring Space Game LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

We'll be playing it as part of the 2019 Homebrew Tournament Round #3. We'll see how high up on the leader board we can get!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games:

- Halo 2600 (2010) by Ed Fries
- Space Game (2019 Homebrew Tournament Round #3) by Karl Garrison and Maggie Vogel aka Karl G and mvo

(Updated with YouTube archive video. Set to 60fps for full experience!)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

I mentioned this briefly on the ZPH stream, but I was wondering if there was any interest in a "I Saved Earth" patch for Space Game? So far, as far as I know, only Maggie has beaten the game in the default "Save Earth" mode (12 waves, 4 bosses), but perhaps it's something that others may want to attempt?

• Like 2

I mentioned this briefly on the ZPH stream, but I was wondering if there was any interest in a "I Saved Earth" patch for Space Game? So far, as far as I know, only Maggie has beaten the game in the default "Save Earth" mode (12 waves, 4 bosses), but perhaps it's something that others may want to attempt?

Patch or it didn't happen!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello! Here are the full versions of the Space Game ROMs, including the bonus wave and AtariVOX / SaveKey high score saving support. These may be used for personal use only; not for resale.

I'll release the source soon, too, so I might as well spill the beans on two Easter eggs:

• @Random Terrain mode may be activated by pressing the joystick down while on the title screen, and hitting the fire button to start a game while the stick is held down. This mode allows continuous shots while the fire button is held. I don't personally think it's any kind of advantage, though, since you lose precision. Unfortunately, I didn't have room for the special RT Edition title screen found in this build:D
  • Debug mode may be entered from the title screen via the joystick sequence "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right". The title screen will say "Debug Mode" if this is done correctly. In Debug mode, you start with 6 lives, and while within a wave, you may skip to the next wave via the select button. Additionally, the "eye" enemy on the first wave is replaced by a "Clippy" enemy. High scores are not saved in debug mode.

SpaceGame-Final-NTSC.bin

SpaceGame-Final-PAL60.bin

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sadly, I lost a lot of data when I got my MacBook repaired. I've been meaning to package the Space Game source and share it here, but my source tree was lost with the other data. The good news is that I have the main source file saved to Drive, and I'm pretty sure it was the final version. I am sharing it here in case anyone finds it useful. It won't compile without a lot of work, as it is missing a number of dependancies that I no longer have, like the titlescreen kernel code/images. I've also attached the sound effects files (in the form of @SpiceWare's SFX driver).

Some of the code is a bit of a mess, and I'm not great at commenting my code. ? At the beginning of the project, I was still learning bB, and by the end of it I had learned some assembly, so some of that slipped into the final game, too (like the space debris dodging screens between waves).

For the two-color AtariAge splash screen, I used some ASM code from Star Castle Arcade with permission from @Thomas Jentzsch. The music was composed by @mvo.

spacegame.bas

sfx.asm

sfx2.asm

• Like 5