IGNORED

Love the Nes Max But Hate The Cycloid (Add A D-Pad)

I know may of you like myself love the max because of its form factor and turbo buttons, but hate the cycloid disc thingy.

In the past we have used Xbox 360 thumbsticks and some have super glued gamecube d-pads (really super glue?)

I had a thought and it worked add a NES D-Pad to it.

First we sand the back of the NES D-Pad to eliminate the bump in the back and make it flat

vguNM00.jpg

Once is all nice and Flat we move on to the ring of the Max where the arrows are and we start sanding and test fitting

6HGFL4T.jpg

Remember we are looking for a tight fit, Sand and Test Sand and Test until it pops right in

RhSTZQt.jpg

Im planning to mod another one in the next couple of days for a local buddy so I will take more pictures then.

I will try to record a video, it feels very natural LIKE IT BELONGS THERE

• Like 7

Very nice work! I modded an NES Max with a red Xbox 360 analog stick a while back and really liked the way it came out. The procedure was pretty much the same as your mod, just sanding down the bottom of the analog stick until it fit comfortably into the recess that the cycloid pad used to sit in. :)

FMVsF2d.jpg

I did the same thing but it would not stay shut and always cam loose. So I tried to fix it and crack the black thing holding the red disc. And I lost the disc anyway.

Introducing the basic mod. I only put a little white out so I remember which way to position the black piece under the red disc. I lost the red disc. But the black circle around the red disc cracked. One of the tabs broke so it no longer stays together. And I lost it. So I unscrewed it and put it back together with just the black thing and the rubber over the pcb. No red disc or top cover with arrows. It still works. I press the black part up, down, left and right and it goes all directions. And all buttons work. I call it the basic mod. No need for the red disc or thumbstick.

IMG_20170726_010714542.jpg

Thats what I did with my mod, Im plannjng to do anotherone for a buddy in the next few days I will use an OEM D-Pad

Here is an example of one using a black d-pad

https://imgur.com/PhPggTP

Looks great! ...but, does the outer black ring move with the Dpad?...I haven't played one in many years. If it is somehow isolated, that would be perfect...if it moved 'with' the directions on the Dpad, then at least it would have the right feel. Speaking of feel though, what's going on under the pad?...is there something like a rubber gasket thing (like the original dpad controller) to give the dpad the right feel?

Looks great! ...but, does the outer black ring move with the Dpad?...I haven't played one in many years. If it is somehow isolated, that would be perfect...if it moved 'with' the directions on the Dpad, then at least it would have the right feel. Speaking of feel though, what's going on under the pad?...is there something like a rubber gasket thing (like the original dpad controller) to give the dpad the right feel?

The D-Pad moves with the outer Ring, as the fitment is tight enough that she moves as 1 whole unit, under the pad nothing as the D-Pad is flatt tonsit inside the ring assembly, under the ring assembly we have the rubber pads that help it make contact with the PCB and thats what gives it its natural feel. I promise you will not be dissapointed

• Like 1

Very nice work! I modded an NES Max with a red Xbox 360 analog stick a while back and really liked the way it came out. The procedure was pretty much the same as your mod, just sanding down the bottom of the analog stick until it fit comfortably into the recess that the cycloid pad used to sit in. :)

FMVsF2d.jpg

That looks really nice, may have to try it myself.

• Like 1

That looks really nice, may have to try it myself.

It's not a hard mod at all, you just have to go very slowly when sanding down the bottom of the analog stick and test fit it between sanding. There's about a 1/16" difference between too tight (which will cause the retaining piece that the stick sits on to pop out during use) and too loose (which will result in the stick rattling around in it's recess). You want the fitment to be just tight enough that the stick can't wobble around but still loose enough for the stick to able to turn freely if you twist it.

Getting the fitment down can be a little tricky so I'd recommend buying a two pack of analog sticks in case you mess the first one up. I'd also recommend using fine grit sandpaper to manually sand down the bottom of the stick rather than using a power tool like a belt sander, since you do need to be really precise with how much you take off to get a good fit.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Wish there was a way to put in a real OEM Nintendo D-Pad in there.

I always wondered just what the hell they were thinking with that controller...awesome, but what, built for Gyruss? Just didn't make any sense. We all loved the turbo buttons...just a great little pad, other than, you know, the MAIN GIMMICK :D

There is. I had one when I was in jr. high and high school. Just took sandpaper to the inside of the black ring until the D-pad fit. For the most part it seemed to work. Occasionally the D-pad would start to rotate, so I'd rotate it back.