IGNORED

Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 Book Project on Kickstarter

Hello everybody,

Today my Kickstarter book project "Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995" has started.

As some of you already knew I have been working on a book project about Atari games since 02/2015 with the help of Al/AA. It’s focused on in-game graphics, presenting the best/iconic and - sometimes not so good looking - games.

It is comparable to the popular books like “Visual Compendium of C64/ZX Spectrum/NES” and “ZX Spectrum/C64 in Pixels” but with more focus on screenshots. There is editorial content in my book, but no large interviews or "making ofs".

It should have been a small book with about 200 pages, focusing on the 2600 only. As time went by I thought it would be a good idea to add another Atari system – the Atari 7800 ProSystem - since the game library is rather small and could be added in full. As soon I was done with the 7800 I looked at my completed 5200 SuperSystem collection and again, I went on and added all games for the system to my book project.

At that point I was already at 500+ pages. Playing all those 5200 games again after quite some time I went another step further, adding the – from my perspective – best or interesting games for the 8-bit computer family. Knowing that there is no chance of adding all good 8-bit games I aimed for an easier prey with a finite goal: The Lynx library, it’s just 74 games, can’t be that hard to add them and it’s an 8-bit system anyway…

So now I am at 704 pages and this without even covering prototypes, homebrews and aftermarket releases. At one point I have to draw a line if I ever want to publish the book.

And here we are. The book is close to be done. I have to unify the positions of the CIB, streamline the information content and change some shadows for the sprites. It’s a routine task and doesn’t involve time-consuming researches.

But why a Kickstarter project if everything is close to be done? And why so much? Creating a book is one thing; actually get it printed is a bit different. It’s expensive. You have a minimum number, and a quality printing costs extra money, it’s not just some random internet printer.

If you are interested in such a book give it a look on Kickstarter right here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/993169463/games-for-atari-1977-to-1995

Many thanks for reading,

Marc.

PS: Typos like "area" will be removed :)

post-36-0-01476900-1502312235_thumb.png

post-36-0-33289900-1502312383.gif

• Like 14

Good luck Marc, its not for me, I'm a rare book person but like a history of things with background info and stories from that era..

I wish you every success..

Paul.

Many thanks :)

As for the go-deeper-in content I can direct you to the "Art of Atari" book or the Retro Gamer's "The Atari Book", they are excellent.

Very excited about this!

I'm confused about the "add-a-game" bonus with the higher contributions. It says "You may Add A Game of your choice to the book (one page)". I thought you were showcasing all released games within the 704 pages. What games could be added? How would we know which games will not be included per the "regular" publication?

• Like 1

Very excited about this!

I'm confused about the "add-a-game" bonus with the higher contributions. It says "You may Add A Game of your choice to the book (one page)". I thought you were showcasing all released games within the 704 pages. What games could be added? How would we know which games will not be included per the "regular" publication?

The book features 200 2600 games and 100 8-bit computer series games. The 5200/7800/Lynx are complete (as stated in the book content information). The 2600 list will be in the first campaigne update. A backer might also just drop me a line to check if a certain game is featured.

• Like 1

I've just added new rewards levels: Complete library Collector Cards for the 5200, 7800 and Lynx. Just check this link or the sample graphics attached:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/993169463/games-for-atari-1977-to-1995/posts/1953709

If you have any questions just drop me a line. :)

post-36-0-62425800-1501739671_thumb.png

post-36-0-93717300-1501739832_thumb.png

post-36-0-01619900-1501739860_thumb.png

post-36-0-12591100-1501739867_thumb.png

• Like 1

Really digging the new cover, but the black with the. White stroke isn't working for me the shadow on the text is too wide from the text high is making it a little low key basis , I'd prefer flat text maybe inside a curved box or simply use a strip of colour for the text to sit on top off?

But loving the inside content to which is vey ambitious project taking on 5 formats :), but for me the price is stopping me here if I'm being honest. It's very expensive, now I understand the cost of printing etc. but this could harm in the long run, the backers are great in helping getting it made, but you have to consider shipping, logistics, packaging and all that thereafter which could see it difficult to market and sell to over seas readers to which I think something as great as this needs to accessible to those in far away countries outside Europe , I'm sure you have a plan , but I just wondered about this.

• Like 2