IGNORED

PAL Antic / ROM Mod with Ultimate1MB

Xebec

Hey folks --

According to this, If you have a PAL ANTIC (in a NTSC machine), a ROM change will trick PAL software into working. (With some some timing/color issues as others have noted)

http://www.myatari.com/nirdary.html

"In order to "trick" software programs written for PAL machines to make the software think it's running on a real PAL machine, a minor modification of the OS is required. The required modification was very simple: I just changed address $C386 to be "1" instead of "0""

If I have an Ultimate 1MB Upgrade and a PAL Antic - can I literally just edit the bit at $C386 in a ROM and upload that to the U1MB? Or is there some ROM encoding I need to consider first?

Is C386 a hex address bit -- so I would go to position 50054 in the ROM file to make the change?

Thanks,

John H

Not sure... But IIRC the OS does a checksum check on powerup. If it does not match it jumps into ram/rom test in selftest.

I could be wrong... it has been quite a while since I modified OS ROMS... but I think it is true...

I don't think that's the case. I have a modified (padded out) version of OSb I use in my Ultimate 1MB for very rare instances when I need it; I've customized the Memo Pad header just a bit ... :)

post-30400-0-48610800-1501019243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The XL OS keeps a flag in Ram to signify Pal/NTSC. But the 400/800 OS doesn't.

I can't recall any 3rd party software that refers to it - the majority by far reads the PAL register on GTIA which in itself is flawed since it's Antic which determines if the system is 60/262 or 50/312.

IMO it's practically pointless changing the OS like that, and it will screw with the tape bitrate lookup (not a huge problem).

A benefit though is that it will correct the key auto-repeat which on a machine with PAL Antic/NTSC GTIA would otherwise slow down annoyingly.

Edited by Rybags

The order of the OS when in Rom files should be:

XL/XE

0000 - 0FFF corresponds to the OS normally living @ C000-CFFF

1000 - 17FF corresponds to the 2K Self-Test which switches in at 5000-57FF

1800 - 1FFF the FP Rom @ D800-DFFF

2000 - 3FFF the OS Rom @ E000-FFFF

400/800

0000 - 07FF FP Rom @ D800

0800 - 27FF OS Rom @ E000

• Like 3