IGNORED

Rich Goober pays $30100.44 for sealed Super Mario Bros

WTF?

Well I hope they pay! Nothing worse than being on the losing end of one of those situations where suddenly the bidder thinks the rules don't apply to him/her, and maybe they shouldn't have bid so much so they try to weasel out of it. I'm to the point I wish ebay linked accounts directly to a bank account so the money just goes from their account to yours after they win.

• Like 1

"Rich Goober"? I think I went to high school with him. Nice guy, captain of the chess club. Seriously though, I wish I was a rich goober. For rich goobers, thirty grand is chump change. If I had millions in disposable income, I guarantee no one would ever win a retro gaming auction item I wanted ever again.

• Like 7

All you have is that it says it's been sold, not that the guy actually paid.

Thing is, this was a confirmed buy, according to Bronty at NintendoAge.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=175836&forumid=1

I know that minty Black Box games are rare, but Super Mario Bros is by far the most common of them. That makes this auction so bizarre.

• Like 1

The sticker seal is important to the most hard core of collectors because in the very early days of the NES (black box stuff) Nintendo was more in line with the far less thieving honor system of Japanese retail -- no shrink wrap. You'd go to the store, the back hang tab would either be popped and hung on a post, or kept on the box and just left in a slot, and the only thing keeping that game securely new and fresh was a little black sticker with Nintendo inked in another color on it. That's it, one little nickel(if I recall right) sized sticker and nothing else.

That's why some of those buyers go insane if you can find not only a sticker but a tab on the back that hasn't been punched in the least bit. It's like a cherry virgin NES game from 1985/earlier 1986 if you locate that stuff and they'll want to grab that up so no one accidentally or intentionally pops that cherry. ;)

The sticker seal is important to the most hard core of collectors because in the very early days of the NES (black box stuff) Nintendo was more in line with the far less thieving honor system of Japanese retail -- no shrink wrap. You'd go to the store, the back hang tab would either be popped and hung on a post, or kept on the box and just left in a slot, and the only thing keeping that game securely new and fresh was a little black sticker with Nintendo inked in another color on it. That's it, one little nickel(if I recall right) sized sticker and nothing else.

That's why some of those buyers go insane if you can find not only a sticker but a tab on the back that hasn't been punched in the least bit. It's like a cherry virgin NES game from 1985/earlier 1986 if you locate that stuff and they'll want to grab that up so no one accidentally or intentionally pops that cherry. ;)

Yep, All the early Canadian black box games had it as well. There was no shrink at all on my first SMB 1.

EDIT: This SMB seems to have the trifecta, A hang tab, a sticker & H seam.

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 1