IGNORED

Is 3DS still around?

Serguei2

I would imagine they are done pushing that one with the Switch out and such. They would probably gear towards making that the ultimate console both portable and stationary. Still though the 3DS has amassed a good library and I would wonder if developers might still make games for it even if Nintendo stops making the units.

It's basically a zombie system. Nintendo has no real reason to outright kill it as long as it's making money, but there's not a lot of active support going on at this point.

Nintendo kept the Famicom in production until 2003, which is something I think a lot of people don't realize. But you wouldn't really call it a "current" system after the Super Famicom's release. It's similar to what Sony's done with the PS One and PS2, although those systems didn't last quite as long.

In Japan especially, the 3DS is still being marketed more as a kids' system. I was just there last month and almost all the ads I saw featured little kids. So I think they're positioning the Switch as the more adult system with the 3DS a lower-cost yet tougher option for parents to buy their kids. That's also pretty common when systems are really at the end of their lifespans and the manufacturer's just trying to wring a few more years out of them.

• Like 2

I would imagine they are done pushing that one with the Switch out and such. They would probably gear towards making that the ultimate console both portable and stationary. Still though the 3DS has amassed a good library and I would wonder if developers might still make games for it even if Nintendo stops making the units.

I disagree: when a system is no more supported by its owner, companies stop making games for obvious reasons and stores start selling defunct systems and games at lower price to clear their stocks.

Edited by Serguei2

I agree with the other comments. I've said that the 3DS/2DS is now just Nintendo letting the clock run out on its own, particularly since the Switch has proven to be a success. Considering the different mobile environment it's had to compete in versus its predecessors, the 3DS has had a good run.

I disagree: when a system is no more supported by its owner, companies stop making games for obvious reasons and stores start selling defunct systems and games at lower price to clear their stocks.

That may be true but even when the Wii stopped production new game became available from software folks. I would be the number and quality of games would decrease. Not not true with all systems but sometimes there are games so far in development that it would not pay to recode them and so off they go to the no longer made system. Crap Brazil is still making Master System games I think.

As long as it keeps pushing the numbers it does, or even a fraction of them where it's profitable they won't kill it... unless they can tangibly prove it's hurting Switch sales then it's on ice. In tandem, third parties will still need to shove out a steady stream collectively of games throughout the year so people are confident to keep buying the unit as well because if there's nothing to keep it on the shelf then their space will minimize and disappear which would slam the door shut too.

At the earliest I wouldn't be surprised if it made it into and throughout 2018, probably done for the year after as there's solid stuff on the books still. Nintendo will likely just let this one roll out to extinction as the market deems (makers/game buyers) is not necessary to keep around any further. As the old dumb saying goes 'it prints money' and until it doesn't they have no reason to kill a revenue source.

I still feel like the Switch is a lot different than a dedicated portable (battery life and motion controls being the two of the big reasons why). If Nintendo abandons the 3DS in the short-term (which I doubt), then it's got a lot more to do with market changes in portable gaming that we've been seeing for years (phones and tablets largely taking that space) than the Switch actually replacing it.

That may be true but even when the Wii stopped production new game became available from software folks. I would be the number and quality of games would decrease. Not not true with all systems but sometimes there are games so far in development that it would not pay to recode them and so off they go to the no longer made system. Crap Brazil is still making Master System games I think.

I don't think retail shops would sell new wii games unless you're talking online shops like Atariage.

I still feel like the Switch is a lot different than a dedicated portable (battery life and motion controls being the two of the big reasons why). If Nintendo abandons the 3DS in the short-term (which I doubt), then it's got a lot more to do with market changes in portable gaming that we've been seeing for years (phones and tablets largely taking that space) than the Switch actually replacing it.

If Nintendo abandons the 3DS, do you think Nintendo will release a new portable?

You'd be mistaken then. Walk into any Wal-Mart in this country and you'll see new Wii games available. And we're not just talking reprintings, either. Just Dance 2017 from last October is widely available and sold well on the Wii (I believe I read just the other day here on AtariAge that last year's Wii iteration broke a million units sold). And Just Dance 2018 is on the docket for a Wii release this upcoming October.

And a new dedicated portable would run contrary to what the entire goal of the Switch was. One next-gen Nintendo platform to sell to your entire customer base, one system to develop games for, and each release that appears can be sold to every next-gen Nintendo owner rather than just a portion of it like in years past with separate hardware lines.

If they feel like it's not portable enough, I'd expect a Switch Lite to appear down the road that might tailor this to be a bit more suitable for use as a portable. But with how popular tablets seem to be and large screen cell phones, I'm not so sure it's a market they feel the need to pursue. Look how half hearted they supported the regular New 3DS for example, with the focus squarely on the XL version that wasn't exactly pocket friendly.

If they wanted a pocket friendly portable so badly that it served as the impetus to keeping the 3DS line alive and kicking, I would've expected the XL models to have hit the road by now with only the most portable version remaining available. Yet the exact opposite has happened with the 3DS line.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Nope, I'm talking Wii. You don't have to look far in US Wal-Mart's to see Nintendo Selects rereleases from last year like Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario Galaxy, Just Dance titles, etc.

Here's even a Wii game up for preorder at Wal-Mart Canada.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/just-dance-2018-wii/6000197277424?rrid=richrelevance

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I don't think retail shops would sell new wii games unless you're talking online shops like Atariage.

If Nintendo abandons the 3DS, do you think Nintendo will release a new portable?

That's a hard one to answer. If they don't release a follow-up, then I see Nintendo expanding their presence on other portable platforms (Android and iOS, basically). If they don't do that, then they'll almost certainly have a follow-up to the 3DS. There's a big difference in the pricing and market space of the 3DS/2DS and that of the Switch, especially when it comes to kids (many of which aren't old enough to have phones). My girls all have 2DS systems and play them regularly, something that simply isn't going to happen with the Switch at $300 a pop? How many families will own multiple Switches? I don't really see that happening. Whether or not Nintendo ignores that established market is a good question that's probably better left to analysts, although it's interesting to remember that a lot of analysts proclaimed the portable market dead already (thanks to the rise of smartphones and tablets). With the 3DS "family" closing in on 70 million units by the end of the year (I'm planning on buying a 2DS XL for myself), I think there's still a market there.

I have yet to see a Switch in the wild myself (and I look any time I'm in a store that would sell them). Maybe I'm just going at the wrong time, but to date, not a single one. Wii games...those I do see.

Edited by Karyyk

Oh there's wiggle room considering it's a custom tegra x1 chip, the 2017 version used in those 4k shield(console) tv units pretty much. Yes those joycons have some good parts in there that add up, but not that high they're not making some money off the top.

Lately I've been thinking it maybe time to put the New3DSXL out to pasture along with my dozen or so games. I haven't used it in a long while and other than the upcoming Metroid i'm not so sure I would. Cave Story I can do on switch, the castlevania game on steam, and more or less the rest have a version elsewhere or I'm basically over replaying the stuff.

I basically faced facts, my home is a gameboy family of handhelds home for both me and my little girl too.