IGNORED

Artworx's Strip Poker - The Final Highscore

luckybuck

Hi together,

I don't know why it took until 2017, when finally Artworx's Strip Poker has been solved or won.

I just can imagine, that Valerian & Laureline, after they have done their job, may have had some time off?

Therefore, it is highly likely, that Valerian messed-up:

Suzi, Melissa, Marlena, Candi, Dominique and Lindsay ; (*)

and put them on his playlist, while Laureline took care of:

Ernie & Earl ; (#)

?

Anyway, (*) & (#) didn't had just any chance, because in 1983 there was no way to go from one dimension to another and by doing that, taking a look at the opponent's cards without being seen.

But in 2017 that is an easy one. Great for us, they have published their results here (adult content, you are not allowed to click, if you are underage!).

The French space agent heros, who else could bring such a job to an end? ;-)

• Like 4

Well,

there are other ways to do it:

1) when you have the disk version, simply rename the pictures (takes several renames!) and make the last one the first one and vice-versa. Now you start the game with nude girls/women/men and while playing they dress up...

2) convert the pictures into a standard (e.g. Micropainter/62-sector) format; in the heir of AMC I once found a small Basic program that could convert Strippoker pictures into standard Gr. 15 Micropainter pictures. Used this program to convert all Strippoker pictures (well, only the girls/women) and when done deleted it, since I thought I would not need it any longer; years later my diskette with converted Strippoker pics. was defective and errm, the converter long gone (and deleted!) and I found out that no-one else had this converter... but maybe someone wants to write such a simple Strippoker (45 sectors) to Micropainter (62 sectors) converter ?!? Then you can display all the pics in a Gr. 15 slideshow...

• Like 3

I don't understand the Atari video modes enough, but it is a shame they could not utilize more variation in hues on those images. Yes, various shades of red/pink/brown and the occasional purple on one of the girls, but to most part the Atari version looks nearly the same as the C64 version which has a much more narrow palette to choose from.

Hello guys

Who's gonna do a VBXE version of this game? :D :grin: :-D

Sincerely

Mathy

1000x yes! Especially since I have one on the way!

Well,

1) when you have the disk version, simply rename the pictures (takes several renames!) and make the last one the first one and vice-versa. Now you start the game with nude girls/women/men and while playing they dress up...

2) convert the pictures into a standard (e.g. Micropainter/62-sector) format; in the heir of AMC I once found a small Basic program that could convert Strippoker pictures into standard Gr. 15 Micropainter pictures. Used this program to convert all Strippoker pictures (well, only the girls/women) and when done deleted it, since I thought I would not need it any longer; years later my diskette with converted Strippoker pics. was defective and errm, the converter long gone (and deleted!) and I found out that no-one else had this converter... but maybe someone wants to write such a simple Strippoker (45 sectors) to Micropainter (62 sectors) converter ?!? Then you can display all the pics in a Gr. 15 slideshow...

1) the original copy (is that a thing? guess so, since we then modified it) came this way! Someone had reversed the file names and spoiled the challenge. I figured out myself to 'fix' the game, that I had to reverse them. Then I gave a copy to a friend of mine, who apparently his mother had found out (we were 13-ish at the time) and she would only let him play to bra+undies. I quickly showed him this 'hack' and I'm pretty sure it was the first naked chick he'd seen! In all it's 8-bit pixelated glory! He made me change it back so as to not get into trouble...

• Like 5

I seem to recall the same trick worked on the ST Strip Poker 2 as well, but I'm not entirely sure. I wonder what would be easier, getting some random exhibitionist off of reddit to give us some pictures of various stages of undress to create a VBXE version, or to try to upscale the colors of the originals... ;)

I seem to recall the same trick worked on the ST Strip Poker 2 as well, but I'm not entirely sure. I wonder what would be easier, getting some random exhibitionist off of reddit to give us some pictures of various stages of undress to create a VBXE version, or to try to upscale the colors of the originals... ;)

To be honest, if you did anything other than upscale, what would you really be providing?

Remastering the originals would be epic and still preserve the spirit of the game.

(And would be more of a challenge, which is the whole point, right?)

Oh most definitely agreed, it was more of a joke to pull something from reddit. You'd have to change the display code within the program, and probably do the same for Micropainter to allow the bigger palette? Get an artist much much better than me to recolor everything, then release!

Now to see if we can track down a few individuals who may have the skills!

I realized that Strip Poker was remade for both Atari ST and Amiga. Same pictures in the same postures, only with a bit more colour and detail. Possibly those could be used as a source for a remastered Atari 8-bit version, whether it requires VBXE or not. Given that most of them maintain their posture between stages, I'd think the images were drawn, perhaps based on nude models that were digitally clothed. Later games obviously used digitized photos all the way, but those strip poker games also had the girl (or guy, in rare cases) hold a different posture after each clothes change. Perhaps it is me who have some strange perversion, but I prefer if my opponent maintains the same posture all the way.

Edit: Or well, perhaps those are not the same pictures, but very much alike. If you study the pictures across formats, there are some differences. For instance Suzi wears a belt on the Atari 8-bit and C64 versions, while her shirt rides up and exposes the midriff on the Atari ST and Amiga versions. On the 8-bit she's also got panties with a heart on the front, compared to more lacy looking ones on the Amiga. Her face is a bit different too, which is even more obvious on the other models. She is also laying on what looks like an orange red sheet on the Amiga while it is bluish gray on the ST, but that might be due to palette limitations.

Melissa on the Amiga wears a red top that barely covers the breats and a pair of lavender hotpants, while on the ST she wears a green top and royal blue hotpants. Again that might be palette limitations between the ST and Amiga. Despite those small differences, either set of pictures may be useful for a remastered version.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

It's funny that here we are in 2017 and these pixellated beauties still capture our imagination... I'm pinning this topic as it's hopefully a way of getting some more interest in the High Score Club! I'm even going to add Strip Poker to the next poll so get voting and playing - it's a pretty good game afterall :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Ha, how much do we 'Score' if we visually upgrade this? So here's the questions..

1) Do we use the original artwork and 'uplift' it to VBXE/more colors with trickery? vs Stealing it from the 16bit variants.

2) Is it worth hacking the 'engine' for this so that we can display more colors/use more formats or try to do a rewrite that supports the image format? I'm almost in favor of that, it may be easier, and we could create an engine where if it suited someone they could import their own images to create new opponents.

3) For either choices above, we'd need some sort of conversion process to a painting program to be able to edit them, or to import the 16bit versions.

I kind of like the idea of a Strip Poker engine. Port it across everything. Like Unity or Unreal Engine, or Renpy (visual novel engine). I know there was some video strip poker on the Amiga, and at one point I had one for PC, but I still remember the flesh color shaded 8-bit version. I played a bit of Strip Poker 2 on the ST, and I believe all of them had at least one data disk.

Interesting comments from Doug McFarland. From what I gather, it started with a regular poker game on the Apple II that Doug wanted to add Atari graphics to. However it seems the game engine was first ported to the C64, then ported to Atari. He writes that the original pictures were drawn pixel by pixel, just as expected.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?s=22c55f3db66e314b4252100a84c3b915&p=706495&postcount=6

• Like 1

Well,

There is a commercial converter. I used it years ago:

http://manillismo.blogspot.cl/2014/06/strip-poker.html

I cannot but admire the effort and countless hours that went into your diligent research of this topic ;) This would make a great computer history thesis... Never beat the ladies myself but discovered the filename trick somewhere along the way.

Looking forward to the ANTIC interview.

I realized that Strip Poker was remade for both Atari ST and Amiga. Same pictures in the same postures, only with a bit more colour and detail. Possibly those could be used as a source for a remastered Atari 8-bit version, whether it requires VBXE or not. Given that most of them maintain their posture between stages, I'd think the images were drawn, perhaps based on nude models that were digitally clothed. Later games obviously used digitized photos all the way, but those strip poker games also had the girl (or guy, in rare cases) hold a different posture after each clothes change. Perhaps it is me who have some strange perversion, but I prefer if my opponent maintains the same posture all the way.

Edit: Or well, perhaps those are not the same pictures, but very much alike. If you study the pictures across formats, there are some differences. For instance Suzi wears a belt on the Atari 8-bit and C64 versions, while her shirt rides up and exposes the midriff on the Atari ST and Amiga versions. On the 8-bit she's also got panties with a heart on the front, compared to more lacy looking ones on the Amiga. Her face is a bit different too, which is even more obvious on the other models. She is also laying on what looks like an orange red sheet on the Amiga while it is bluish gray on the ST, but that might be due to palette limitations.

Melissa on the Amiga wears a red top that barely covers the breats and a pair of lavender hotpants, while on the ST she wears a green top and royal blue hotpants. Again that might be palette limitations between the ST and Amiga. Despite those small differences, either set of pictures may be useful for a remastered version.

Then I gave a copy to a friend of mine, who apparently his mother had found out (we were 13-ish at the time) and she would only let him play to bra+undies.

Now that's what I call responsible parenting. It's OK to play Strip Poker but once the shirt drops its over. Wonder if he had to play on the living room TV or if he was only allowed to play while she watched....

Wonder if anyone ever undressed himself to heighten the enjoyment....

Wonder if anyone ever undressed himself to heighten the enjoyment....

Perhaps this review contains a bit of fiction, but anyway:

Wife: "What is that blob on your screen?"

Me: "Ummmm, it’s Melissa?"

Wife: "Okay... but why are you sitting here in your underwear?!"

It hadn't occurred to me that I really didn't need to take off my clothing while playing this game, but I wanted to get into the spirit of the thing.

http://videogamecritic.com/c64mz.htm?e=24357#rev4802

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It looks like this starts with a simple rotating XOR key, as described.

Additionally, it looks like it does at a second XOR pattern against the columns. Maybe something more? The shirt and the background were decoded as the same color, so that's a hint. It is also confusing how the leggings lose their checkerboard pattern, so that's probably a hint, too. If you look carefully, the legging reappear on the far left of the screen. Yet the horizontal alignment of the two images below are pixel-for-pixel, so that should be an encryption artifact, and not the result of a misaligned image.

In the raw file, I see a regular abrupt pattern begin every 40 bytes and it continues... perhaps for two additional bytes? (My wager is that screen data is gathered in that position and applied as an XOR against subsequent pixels until the next 40 byte mark. The XOR would zero out similar pixels, which looks like background removal. It would create trails on vertical lines, which is confirmed in the initially decoded image. It could also remove a checkerboard pattern.)

Images below include a game screenshot, and an image after resolving the initial XOR challenge. I did not locate the palette. I don't think it is fixed in the code. It could also be elsewhere, like in the OPP or OPN file. (Swapping those with other image disks might isolate that.) It could also be those last five bytes of the undecoded image file. I see the last five bytes as "f0 33 35 37 bf" and in another "f0 32 34 36 ee". Okay... that makes sense. I think those first four are probably our colors?

The decoded file was directly imported into Micro Painter, which objected to the file being truncated, but it displayed what it had to work with. Both images were an Altirra screenshot.

I was just looking for a small puzzle on my lunch break.

Hope this moves the ball forward for someone.

post-18231-0-15255500-1516298686.png

post-18231-0-34868300-1516298693.png

Edited by jmccorm
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...