IGNORED

The THANK YOU Thread! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Omega-TI

We TI'ers have a LOT to be thankful for here at AtariAge. There are so many people who contribute their time, expertise and experience helping others. We also have the software, hardware and 3D printer gurus that make us all the cool toys and accessories, and so much more! The fact is we have so much to be thankful for and so many people to thank, we cannot cover them all in one simple post, so I thought a devoted thank you thread was a good idea. :)

To start this thread off, I'm going to thank both Sparkdrummer & Shift838. Those two guys have spent literally years bringing us their awesome newsletters. This has taken a lot of time, energy and devotion. I personally enjoy their newsletters so much that I print every single issue, before reading them and storing them for posterity. They have contributed much to our enjoyment of the TI-99/4A hobby.

THANKS GUYS! :) :thumbsup:

post-35324-0-65467100-1501597922_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

a huge thank you to Arcadeshopper, PeBo, Omega, Ksarul, Mizapf, Insanemultitasker, Adamantyr, Tursi. Shift838, matthew180, and everyone else who i'm not thinking of off-hand but has been a HUGE help to me as I got back into the TI hobby.

This really is one of the best hobbyist communities I've had the pleasure of being a part. I try to bring value by looking my stuff up first, but everyone has always been super helpful when i have weird or unusual questions about all things-TI.

• Like 5

Thanks for the flowers Omega. I would like to thank TI'ers everywhere for conTInuing to use and support the 4A. Truth be known in my end, Doing a newsletter every month is not labor for me. It's my idea of fun even more than playing all our wonderful games. If Tursi ever finds the time to do the Epson interface he talked about in one of the other posts, I would be as happy as a pig in poop.

• Like 6

We TI'ers have a LOT to be thankful for here at AtariAge. There are so many people who contribute their time, expertise and experience helping others...

THANKS GUYS! :) :thumbsup:

I'd like to join in by thanking Rich (RXB) for always reading my newbie posts and answering my many questions.

The internet has provided an amazing learning opportunity for all of us. This AtariAge TI forum is 100% better than the Dallas TI User's Group I belonged to in the early 80s.

We look back to those early days as amazing, which they were, yet the hobby is much more enjoyable for me now. I don't have to wait a month to ask questions and hope someone competent is in attendance.

So this thank you goes out to RXB!

The Easter egg in Sparkdrummer's Challenge (my compiled BASIC game) reveals a thank you to many others.

-j

• Like 4

There are so many Ti'ers that have provided great support over the decades.

Insane Multitasker for putting up with my constant badgering to get TIMXT to work with the NanoPEB! Most would have probably shot me.

Ralph for answering so many of my questions around the FR99 to get a better understanding so that I could design my my homemade cartridge expander.

Michael Zapf for the constant answering of my questions when I was learning MESS to get FuSiON BBS up and running.

Ksarul for answering many questions and providing an abundance of information around the TI, which my brain still cannot hold. He alos helped with my design of the cart expander.

JediMatt for his many contributions for the new hardware for the TI...

Omega for putting together quite a few useful articles for the community.

Paradroyd for pointing me in the right direction for getting the raspberry Pi talking with the TI for tcpser.

Countless others of course. I can see this thread being posted to continuously.

• Like 5

I'm pretty thankful for this community as a whole. Even noobs who arrived after me. Being a noob myself I find others asking questions i never thought to ask myself. And of course all you veterans. Everyone, with the exception of nobody, has been so great. I am grateful for every single one of you.

• Like 2

Hmmmm.. Airshack, that brings up a question... :evil:

What is Abandonware? No, I'm not asking for myself, I know the idea - but not every jurisdiction knows this concept. In Germany, there is no such thing as abandonware. In general, all creative works have a protection of 70 years after the death of the author.

Don't wake sleeping dogs.

• Like 2

Back to the topic of this thread, I'd also like to say that I find this group extremely valuable for me, from learning to entertainment, and a great win for the community ... much more than any of the groups that I was previously member of, notably the Yahoo groups. This is the real thing here, indeed.

(And maybe don't be too grateful to me ... you possibly don't imagine how much of all that I'm doing just for my own fun and leisure. :) )

• Like 4

Back to the topic of this thread, I'd also like to say that I find this group extremely valuable for me, from learning to entertainment, and a great win for the community ... much more than any of the groups that I was previously member of, notably the Yahoo groups. This is the real thing here, indeed.

(And maybe don't be too grateful to me ... you possibly don't imagine how much of all that I'm doing just for my own fun and leisure. :) )

sometimes the best ideas are borne from fun and leisure!

• Like 1

I thank everyone here.

Three years ago I decided to look on eBay for a 4A, maybe even grab a PEB and an original monitor and a game or two purely out of nostalgia.

I imagined it would be the same as it was back then, a solitary hobby (not to mention one with very limited expansion possibilities). Nothing could have prepared me for the development and community that exists and thrives.

Yes I thank people like Ralph or Custodio or Matthew (among others) for making my system grow way beyond what it was capable of in the 80's, and folks like Rasmus, TheMole, Mark Hull (and many many many more) for making games that look like they belong on Steam more than on a 4A.

But my real appreciation is for the many friends I've made on these Forums. I don't do social media (ok, I DO have a Twitter account for their NLL and MBA feeds), and aside from CBC-News message boards, I don't really puke out my opinions anywhere online. (and have little time for those who do)

But I honestly have to say that this stupid hobby would be far less enjoyable were it not for the people who just like to hang out on AtariAge and talk about it with each other. (the fact that we've made it one of the more popular areas of the site is just ice cream for the strawberry rhubarb pie!)

I AM SOOOOO thankful for each and every one of you.

(and thanks to the god/gods/godess/xenu (insert your deity of choice) for keeping me around long enough to play in this sandbox once again! A few more years would be very nice please (yes I promise to be good yadayadayada)

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 7

Just thought about those old Atari ads when the topic came up. Of course, it takes a pirate to know a pirate and I know them all.

It remains interesting to see how Atari ran ads against their costumers. Back in the day just about everyone in school was pirating everything.

Wondering how many developers took them up on their demand to immediately contact Atari.

Thankful for Omega and all the work he put into FestWest this year!

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 1

I'd like to thank everyone who drops me a note that is /not/ asking me to do work for them ;) - all the little tips, thanks, and 'look what I did' really make the tool building worth it. ;) Also thanks to the amazing people who are far smarter than me who inspire me and prove to me that even things I didn't know were possible, were possible after all. Finally massive thanks to the incredibly enthusiastic users who continue to inject life, energy, and positivity into this community, cause that makes a huge difference.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find that I'm thanking Sparkdrummer YET AGAIN!

Last time was for his continued and timely released monthly newsletters that I always look forward to reading.

This time it's for all his hard work bringing old, poor quality and outdated format manuals 'back to life' for all of us to use and enjoy.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 2

From a legal perspective, there is no such construct as "abondonware." I have no dog to throw into the ring either way, but technically speaking IF the current Atari rights-holders wanted to come after anyone for distributing the old AtariSoft games, assuming the current rights-holders have rights to those as well, they would have full standing to do so.

What has happened in other worlds for similar situations is the company has been contacted for permission to distribute or include in packages and in many cases permission has been given.

Ultimately, remember kids, you only get punished if you get caught.