IGNORED

7800 Case Screws?

rattboi

Hi,

Long ago, I opened up my 7800 case to do a video upgrade, which I ended up getting stuck on for quite a while. I recently came back to it, using the UAV board and was successful! However, in the interim, I've somehow misplaced the case screws for the 7800. Does anyone know the measurements/details for the screws I should get to replace them?

Best Electronics sells them.

So do Lowes and Home Depot, lol. There's nothing special about Atari case screws. They're just bulk-purchased items by whatever factory/contractor did the assembly work.

In fact, my two 7800's have different kinds of screws, although both are black Phillips head and the same general size/thread pitch. One uses self-tapping screws and one doesn't.

I get that they're generic, but I don't wanna strip the plastic by using the wrong thread pitch or something like that. I suppose I could take the case in and just start trying screws...

If no one jumps in before tomorrow afternoon (Central US Time), I'll pull one screw from each of my 7800's and try to measure and shoot some pics for you for comparison.

But seriously, once you get measurements, don't bother with Best for something like this - the minimum order and shipping costs will be ridiculous for something this small.

• Like 2

They may have the product, but jeez, the site is so bad.

I think everyone agrees, Best's website sucks. Brad has almost everything you could ever need and he even goes the extra mile having new replacement parts made. His customer service is fast and friendly too. I'm not a fan of the "You must order a certain amount" deal. Most of the time, I either only need something cheap or it's all I can afford. When places say I have to spend a certain amount, they usually lose my business for good. In some case though, I can't do that. When it comes to Atari parts, there aren't tons of options out there.

As for the screws you need, there may be some trial and error, since I also know of at least two variations. I'd get the length and thread pitch from DrVenkman, and use that as a starting point. Go ahead and take the shell to the hardware store with you, that way you can test the thread pitch to be sure you get the right ones the first time. Considering how brittle the consoles are, I'd make sure it was right to avoid breaking anything. I had one of my 7800 shells break while trying to take a screw out, even after doing the "turning the other way" trick. My Jr had broken tabs in the front when I got it and as far as I could tell, it had never even been apart.

Okay, here you go. As you can see, my two 7800's have different screws, though they are grossly similar. I pulled an example from each. And yes, both units have full sets of original screws - I was the first person to ever take either of them apart.

Anyway, the pointed screw is from my AT84 serial number unit. The other is from an A1 serial number machine.

Both are black Phillips head screws, approximately 5/8" long and 1/8" diameter including threads, though the pitch of the threads is different.

post-30400-0-50033300-1501711233_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-96557300-1501711241_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-38401600-1501711248_thumb.jpg

• Like 1