Photo

OT: 3D printer?

3 replies to this topic

#1 barry.peterson OFFLINE  

barry.peterson

Space Invader

• 40 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 12:23 PM

I doubt I'll splurge but have noticed 3D printers can be much cheaper than I had assumed, but the set-up seems finicky. AND, there seems to be a steep learning curve.

Right?

(My experience is generally that you get what you pay for...)

#2 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 10,296 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 12:34 PM

I'm new to the hands on/owner aspect of the 3D printing area, like two weeks new.  

The prices have come down quite a bit and you can can get quite a lot for your money these days.  Unsurprisingly higher end gear is generally well, higher end - the feature set and capabilities you are looking at are going to determine the price.

There is absolutely a large learning curve to do this correctly.  Overall though I have found the process to be immensely rewarding and insanely frustrating at times.  I am getting better though :)

I can also see why people pay many thousands of dollars for self leveling printers now...   

#3 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,563 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:12 PM

I bought a chinese delta dual print-head printer.. off ebay.. kit so I had to assemble it, the manual was an exercise in frustration.

It prints, but it was a pita to assemble and calibrate in fact I need to re-calibrate it.  It also didn't come with a parts fan so I had to get a fan duct printed and attach that..  It's supposed to "auto level" but that part has been highly problematic so I just do it manually. Dual printheads really made my print area smaller as I couldn't reliably get them both to work, so I just use one.. Delta has a cool factor, but the print area is actually smaller than a xyz printer.. it's good for tall objects but not for wide ones.. 

If I do it again I'll just order a prusa, the print quality is much better and its stupid easy to set up and operate.  Unfortunately they are more like 900$ and there's a multi-month waiting list for delivery. 

Like you said, you get what you pay for..  

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper, Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:24 PM.

#4 mdilling OFFLINE  

mdilling

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 8:38 PM

I own both a delta printer (Sintron) and a cartesian printer (Anet A8). The delta printers, while they do have a wow factor are very finicky to keep dialed-in and printing properly. The cartesian printers are much easier to work with. I'd say once a week or so, I re-level my Anet and reset the z-axis height. This takes approximately 15-20 minutes and is easy todo, just tedious. You also have to spend some time dialing-in each new type of printer filament that you use - PLA, PETG, PPLA, ABS... . Overall, it is very enjoyable.

Regards,

Michael

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users