CAMAC Assembler

9 replies to this topic

#1 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 709 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:54 PM

Hi together,

Does someone know of the ATARI CAMAC Assembler Ver 1.0A?

Must be used for big projects in the late 70's.

Does anyone have an atr image of the program or a listing?

Thank you very much in advance. :-)))

#2 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,829 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:01 PM

You're not going to find it, as CAMAC is the version of AMAC that ran on the department minicomputer at Atari. I do believe they had a VAX and a Data General MV/8000 port. Landon Dyer may have more info on this.

-Thom

#3 landondyer OFFLINE  

landondyer

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:38 PM

You're not going to find it, as CAMAC is the version of AMAC that ran on the department minicomputer at Atari. I do believe they had a VAX and a Data General MV/8000 port. Landon Dyer may have more info on this.

-Thom

CAMAC stands for "Cross AMAC" and the only version I know of ran on the DG MV/8000. The native (non-cross) version, AMAC, ran on the Atari home computers.

That's about all I know -- the tools / systems folks in the Home Computer Division took care of it, it was pretty much a black box to me. I don't even know what it was written in.

(It was a nice assembler. I have fond memories of it, and I stole some features from it for a series of assemblers I wrote a few years later).

#4 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,829 posts

Posted Thu Aug 3, 2017 10:07 AM

The only thing I know for sure about AMAC, was that Sorcim had been subcontracted to port their 6502 macro assembler to Atari, and AMAC was the result, with a custom text editor written by Mike Lorenzen. 

(Sorcim was an early software house that became most famous for their clone of Visicalc for CP/M machines, called SuperCalc)

-Thom

#5 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 709 posts

Posted Thu Aug 3, 2017 10:13 AM

Thanks for your help, yes, have asked Mike, even he doesn't know who build AMAC. But his editor was bundled with AMAC...

Anyway, we even found the Microtec Cross Assembler... ;-)

#6 landondyer OFFLINE  

landondyer

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Thu Aug 3, 2017 10:51 PM

Thanks for your help, yes, have asked Mike, even he doesn't know who build AMAC. But his editor was bundled with AMAC...

Anyway, we even found the Microtec Cross Assembler... ;-)

Give my regards to Mike. The AMAC / editor combination was a real winner; that editor was one of better ones that I used on the 8-bit line.

#7 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 709 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:42 AM

Hi Landon,

Sure, will do so.

By the way, do you know just something of these ones:

a) Atari Editor CX8105 Disk?

b) Atari Statistics II CX8112 Disk?

seems to be a deep mystery of Atari, maybe a candidate for an x-files episode? ;-)

#8 landondyer OFFLINE  

landondyer

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 10:16 PM

By the way, do you know just something of these ones:

a) Atari Editor CX8105 Disk?

b) Atari Statistics II CX8112 Disk?

seems to be a deep mystery of Atari, maybe a candidate for an x-files episode? ;-)

Sorry, don't have the foggiest idea what those are.

#9 ijor OFFLINE  

ijor

Stargunner

• 1,905 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 10:15 AM

Give my regards to Mike. The AMAC / editor combination was a real winner; that editor was one of better ones that I used on the 8-bit line.

I loved MEDIT back at the day. That's the main reason I preferred AMAC over MAC-65.

#10 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,829 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 5:44 PM

I loved MEDIT back at the day. That's the main reason I preferred AMAC over MAC-65.

Same here, that, and AMAC had excellent include and linking functionality. It really made building larger programs easier. A decent cross reference didn't hurt, either. 

-Thom

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CAMAC, Assembler

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users