IGNORED

Original Xbox - screws pierced into top half of shell

copper20

I was trying to get it to where my Xbox would close completely (if I pushed down on the top shell it would go down a little before) and when I screwed it all in, I found out the screws for the case pierced into the shell! Is there a way to cover the holes?

Also the disc tray makes a popping sound when closing. AND it won't read discs very well anymore!! I really don't want to blow 45 dollars on another one, what do I do now?!

Edited by copper20

Original Xbox can be kind of a puzzle box to get back together. Try taking it apart and starting over. Space inside is tight by design. It sounds like the black plastic dvd drive bracket might not be seated properly. Go back in and inspect the power an ribbon cable to make sure nothing is binding. Ideally, you want to have the enclosure go back together with as little force as possible. I tend to look at teardown pictures as linked below when working on a console. It helps when trying to figure out what pieces go where and in what order,

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+Teardown/1308

As for screw piercing, are you using the original torx screws? The screws might be too long if they aren't the original.

• 1 month later...

The original Xbox is a little difficult to get back together.

1. Check to make sure all cables are tucked in where they should be. Specifically, make sure the ribbon is flat and the hard-drive power cables are tucked nicely in their little channel.

2. Look at the metal shielding on the lid. You will see some 'tabs' around the perimeter; specifically a long row at the back. Slowly lower the lid to the bottom and make sure these tabs are going where they're supposed to. From memory (i.e. don't take this to the bank), I believe the rear tabs slide to the interior of the bottom metal shield.

3. While looking at the front, there are plastic tabs on the ride side that can be problematic. Make sure those are going where they need to go as you lower the lid down.

Hope that helps. If you're still stuck I can take a look at one of mine when I get home.