IGNORED

Chess Game Graphics

MrFish

I don't think any DLIs would be needed - that could probably all be done with PM overlays.

Of course the problem in all cases is the DMA load would be fairly heavy. Actually, using stuffed GRAFn registers instead of PM DMA and having DLIs do that work would probably save cycles.

For such a game, maybe some sort of secondary display methodology could be used during "thinking" to give the CPU that extra 20-25% worth of cycles. Maybe a narrow mode window of reduced size that scrolls around the playfield. Or if bitmap is in use, maybe an alternate DList that only shows every second scanline.

Yeah switch to a HIP or TIP image with a master "thinking" gfx ;)

No just kidding but a reduced text mode screen telling thinking with some bar or some stats like "moves calculated" etc

Me too (Odesta Chess also known as Chess 7.0). And there is also the PD/Freeware/Shareware chess named Querg/SuperQuerg Chess with very simple gfx but as stated by its author with quite good ELO (author is John White, not Jeff Lynne)... ;-)

All this talk of ELOs, couldn't resist:

CharlieChaplin already beat you to the punch with his "Jeff Lynne" reference.

The song parody should be "Don't Bring My Elo Rating Down". :D Haha...

By the way, "Elo", in the name of the rating system, is not an acronym for anything (unlike for the group ELO). It's the last name of the man who invented the system. So it is properly left uncapitalized and pronounced as a single word.

Wikipedia: Elo Rating System

Edited by MrFish

I didn't know that MyChess II was available for the A8's until a few days ago. It's Interesting to find out that Chessmaster 2000 had its origins in MyChess II. The two programs are similar in ways. MyChess II appears to be the stronger engine -- based on the ratings shown on "The Spacious Mind". However, this old review of Chessmaster 2000 claims that it had beaten MyChess II (and Sargon III, but no mention of Colossus) in USCF competition.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

A chess game is pretty far down on the list of projects; but I have continued to work some of the graphics. I also was looking into utilizing an online chess server for the engine; I think there is a Fuji-Net project doing just that at this point.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Keatah said:

Love the first mockup in post #1. It's got a nice vintage look and the colors are close to Tan & Teal.

I thought it was a pretty good combination.

Teal and even green look pretty good too; and then there are the piece color changes that can be done...

chess-turquoise.thumb.png.cfc82a19f7cb831d6114954af021d6b5.png

chess-green.thumb.png.deccc9c3006fe059773efb5add656a4a.png

chess-turquoise-silver.thumb.png.ff8181923f801b768ad7557cf7a3c778.png

• Like 4

Even though I like green as a color, I prefer the first and third one much better. It's that color-science thing.

I continue to like the first pic in the first post overall. Not sure I go for the [piece symbol] - 1 in the captures chart. Keeps making me think of a negative number. The extra ......... in the moves chart is looking too busy. The first post got it right.

What would be nice is the ability to pick one's own color for the squares and pieces from the standard palette. My personal color choices may not be someone else's fav. And then colorblind is also a consideration. Having said that - I'd love to see it in a red/black combo.

Now just hook it up to a local chess engine FTW! Maybe steal one from another game?! But don't do online stuff. I hate online stuff. And it doesn't work over the long haul.

Edited by Keatah

7 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Now just hook it up to a local chess engine FTW! Maybe steal one from another game?! But don't do online stuff.

Didn't @xxl make a chess game some time ago?

And why no online function? Chess with another human player over FujiNet sounds like a nice idea.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Even though I like green as a color, I prefer the first and third one much better. It's that color-science thing.

I continue to like the first pic in the first post overall. Not sure I go for the [piece symbol] - 1 in the captures chart. Keeps making me think of a negative number. The extra ......... in the moves chart is looking too busy. The first post got it right.

What would be nice is the ability to pick one's own color for the squares and pieces from the standard palette. My personal color choices may not be someone else's fav. And then colorblind is also a consideration. Having said that - I'd love to see it in a red/black combo.

I'd make it all configurable. The captures panel should be able to be hidden/shown too; and a time clock would be useful.

25 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Now just hook it up to a local chess engine FTW! Maybe steal one from another game?! But don't do online stuff. I hate online stuff. And it doesn't work over the long haul.

I had already been considering using Stockfish.

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I'd make it all configurable. The captures panel should be able to be hidden/shown too; and a time clock would be useful.

Yes.

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I had already been considering using Stockfish.

How would that work. I know nothing of Stockfish. I don't presume there's an Atari 8-bit version? And that implies a modern CPU. If so.. Could we somehow run the likes of the 8-bit front-end graphics client (so to speak) on Altirra, and connect to a locally running instance of Stockfish?

35 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Didn't @xxl make a chess game some time ago?

Yes, I believe it was based on MicroChess, which is fine, but a pretty poor chess engine because of the size constraints, as I stated earlier.

35 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

And why no online function? Chess with another human player over FujiNet sounds like a nice idea.

I think it's a fine idea. As I mentioned earlier, it's already being done (or finished by now?) by someone else. So, we would have a test case there.

8 minutes ago, Keatah said:

How would that work. I know nothing of Stockfish. I don't presume there's an Atari 8-bit version? And that implies a modern CPU. If so.. Could we somehow run the likes of the 8-bit front-end graphics client (so to speak) on Altirra, and connect to a locally running instance of Stockfish?

Yes, my idea was just to run it as a local chess server.

• Thanks 1