Photo

Pentium socket 5/7 question

3 replies to this topic

#1 eightbit OFFLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 2,639 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:43 PM

My God it has been a long time since I have looked into this stuff. SHort story is that I have a Gateway P5-120 coming soon and I was just wondering about CPU upgrade options for the fun of it. Information is sparse, but I am assuming the P5-120 is a socket 5 CPU....I already know it is a Pentium 120mhz. 

I saw this on ebay and am wondering if it is socket 5 or socket 7, and wondering if it will work in a socket 5 system:

http://www.ebay.com/...119.m1438.l2649

One website is telling me that this upgraded all socket 5 Pentium 1 CPUs to their max. Another website states that this is a socket 7 configuration. 

I wish I had my 90's tech brain but I just can't remember. I think socket 5 was 320 pin if I remember....I dunno. Does anyone know if this particular overdrive would work in a socket 5 machine?

#2 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 8,501 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:06 PM

Socket 7 was backward-compatible with the earlier Pentiums designed for Socket 5 (like your 120MHz chip), but also added support for MMX processors, which operated at a lower voltage.  As I recall, the Pentium OverDrive upgrades were just regular MMX processors, with external voltage regulators and other components to make them compatible with older Socket 5 motherboards.  So yes, this upgrade should work in your motherboard, although you may have to set the bus speed to 66MHz and the clock multiplier to 3 in order to get the full 200MHz.

#3 eightbit OFFLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,639 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:09 PM

Very cool! Thank you for that information!

#4 eightbit OFFLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,639 posts

Posted Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:22 PM

Actually I found out today that this will NOT work in a socket 5 system. This is because it apparently *requires* a 66Mhz FSB, and the P5-120 is 60Mhz and I doubt that can be changed. Oh well..

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users