IGNORED

Preorder open for C64 Reloaded MK2

sm3

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/c64-reloaded-mk2.html

If you were thinking of getting one, the preorder is now open. The price with shipping for me (and PayPal fee) was about $228 at the time of my purchase and conversion to the Euro.

I already have a MK1 Reloaded, but this one doesn't require a separate PLA (since it's now built-in) and also doesn't require setting jumpers! You can just find a donor 64 or 128 and insert the specific chips without worry of the wrong configuration of the board for voltage etc.

• Like 1

If had extra C64c laying around, I would probably go for it.

Yeah, the good thing about these Reloaded boards is that you can mix and match chips from the original 64, the 64C or the 128.

I don't recommend taking chips from a good working 64 or 128 of course ;)

A few additional things to mention:

If you want a new SID or 2 (since the MK2 has slots for stereo SID support), he still has them in stock for sale with the Reloaded board but does not sell them separately of course.

If you purchased a power supply for the first version of the board, that will still work with the MK2, however, he has a new PSU in development for the MK2 and it will come with adapters for each country. I had to purchase a travel adapter separately for my original supply since I live in the US. The power supply is an additional cost of course to the Reloaded MK2.

I'm glad this exists, but the price is too high for me. I have several working C64s, so I can't justify this. My hope is these types of projects continue, and if I ever actually NEED this, I'll get it.

I'm aware there are extra features on the reloaded, and I don't think the price is particularly outrageous (or even high) for what you are getting. I just can't seem to make myself click the buy button.

I suppose if you are just a casual 64 user, it's probably not worth the investment. I look at it as the last 64 PCB I would need to buy since from then on (hopefully) the only thing I would need to replace are the custom ICs.

I've got quite a few 64/128 PCBs to use for parts though.

• 3 months later...

Nice; I ended up ordering one a few days ago. I'm way down in the queue, but glad to see others are happy with their purchases.

How is the video output? Any striping that would require a lumafix, or is that a solved problem on the Reloaded?

Edited by Laner

ISTR from some posting the S-Video has the necessary fixes. Mine is put together but I have not done my chores, yet, so I cannot play :)

post-27864-0-16663200-1512597225_thumb.jpg

I used the last of my spare chips for this board (oh, actually I just remembered I have a stack of 6526s somewhere around here.) I thought I had a pair of 6581R4ARs. Ah, well, this pairing I think will be just fine.

I would like to find the lower-power HMOS stuff around, though.

I have not dug into this, yet, but the docs say "6526 (A) or 8521." Can I use an 8520? I have several of those.

Great, thanks. That is very helpful. I am actually pretty interested in the TOD format of the 8520 as my BBS program uses the CIA TOD (I would have to check the code which I have not touched in years, but I think CIA#2) and it might make me feel like I am accomplishing something if I compensate for the format differences.

But otherwise, good to know I can use these 8520 in general. Now to hunt down the gob of 6526s I have and test them. Anyone know of a good diagnostic kit they like?

I just saw this thread, got excited, and ordered one, without knowing very much (other than I remember the 1st version selling out).

Will this work with my original power supply?

Will this do NTSC, PAL, or both?

I feel like a clam for ordering so fast, but I really liked what I'd read about the first one.

Thanks. Sorry for the dumb questions.

It requires a 12V power supply of at least 1A, 2A if you want to run a REU or SuperCPU. It automatically selects PAL or NTSC depending upon the VIC-II you install.

http://c64.de/tech

I am VERY happy I found my stash of 6526s. My 8521A is definitely bad (I suspected this as it was pulled a long time ago from what is today a working Amiga.) Apparently one of my 6581s is also bad, but I will test it in other equipment to make sure.

One big problem I am having is my 6567R8 is being recognized as an 8562, and thus is being under-powered. I have to go into the factory menu and set the voltage to 12V before the system will boot up. And, oh yes, it boots up :) Now I just need to install in the clear 64C case waiting for it.

About the PSU: the other requirement is no more than 100mV ripple on the 12V. I have a bunch of 2A power supplies from dead external hard drives which fit the requirements perfectly. I keep them around as I always need a 12V PSU for one thing or another.

I just saw this thread, got excited, and ordered one, without knowing very much (other than I remember the 1st version selling out).

Just make sure you have all the requisite chips needed to populate the board :)

Currently I'm using:

CIA1/CIA2 - 6526A/6526R4

CPU - 8500

VICII (NTSC/PAL) - 8562R4 / 8565R2

SID - 6581

Mix and match ability sure is nice..

Just make sure you have all the requisite chips needed to populate the board :)

Currently I'm using:

CIA1/CIA2 - 6526A/6526R4

CPU - 8500

VICII (NTSC/PAL) - 8562R4 / 8565R2

SID - 6581

Mix and match ability sure is nice..

Remo, you are an invaluable source of information, as usual. Thank you for that.

I did not see that the seller was selling SID (only with the sale of the board) and did not add it to my order (too late now!). I got too click-happy.

Is there something like B&C Computervisions or Best Electronics, but for Commodore - instead of Atari - where I can order these chips from? I don't know much about Commodore but I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanks again!

Edit: The SID they are selling is 8580, as opposed to the 6581. I just want something that works and sounds like the original C64. Therefore, does it matter which one? I'm more inclined to get the 6581 since you are using it and I trust you! :)

I think you should email Jens and ask if you can order 2 of them. Just let him know you missed them when you purchased the MK2. I'm betting as long as he sees you ordered the MK2, he will not have a problem with it.

I'm waiting to pick up a new power supply for mine as well. He said they are on their way from China now ;)