Preorder open for C64 Reloaded MK2

58 replies to this topic

#51 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,069 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:41 PM

Yes similar to what I see, cleaner picture and without banding.  Assuming it will be the same way for older/newer PAL VIC-II as mentioned in that video.

Might put the 6567 back in there just for the "authentic" feel ;)

#52 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 10,317 posts

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:58 PM

Might put the 6567 back in there just for the "authentic" feel ;)

Haha, I'm all about the real iron but not that hardcore!  :D

#53 wood_jl OFFLINE  

wood_jl

Quadrunner

• 6,876 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 PM

I don't understand what you're saying here. You can easily do 4:3 pillarboxing on a standard 16:9 HDMI-centric display. In fact, that's what most modern classic console recreations with HDMI output do. 

Personally, I'm all in on HDMI, so I prefer that rather than having to convert anything. Native is best.

Greetings, Bill.

I'm pretty sure you know a lot more about HDMI than I (and gaming in general, seeing that collection you have!)

But what I was thinking of may or not me relevant, but I was assuming that it is.

I have always preferred Sony TVs, and in the CRT days, they may have been superior.  In the LCD days, probably not, but I still sort of like 'em.

On my Sony (a few years old) LCD, when I connect with HDMI, I don't get an option for 4:3.  As a matter of fact, I never do.  All you get is (upon hitting the "WIDE" button which should read "ASPECT RATIO" (but doesn't,), is "WIDE ZOOM", "NORMAL", "FULL", and "ZOOM."

Using those options and a Sony Blu-ray player I bought at the same time (several years ago) and hooked up through HDMI, the f-ing thing always stretches the picture.  No choice.  I WANT the "pillarbox" when watching old 4:3 DVDs.  I was frustrated, then (long time ago) I decided to hook an old composite cable from the player to the TV....BOOM!  "NORMAL" aspect ratio then correctly pillarboxed the old 4:3 DVD, correctly.  Great!  Except for the fact that I don't want it hooked up that way.  I want the highest common denominator, and then I get shit-stretched video when viewing old "fullscreen" (4:3) DVDs.  It really pisses me off, to this day.  Evidently, the TV "assumes" that if I'm using HDMI, I want widescreen.  It's not that big of a deal, because I actually prefer a small CRT for C64/A800 etc, anyway.

Would a 4:3 Commodore display stretch, or allow for pillarbox 4:3?  Who knows?  But S-video hooked to a 13" JVC TM-A13SU....

Attached File  JVC TM-A13SU.jpg   68.79KB   0 downloads

....will leave no question, and give an awesome display that looks correct (even better for the time since this is a relatively high-performance monitor relative to the age of the C64) for the time period, and it is that which I prefer.

I am not "against" HDMI; it is rather natural for systems that support 720p or greater.  Those systems suffer on an old CRT.  The C64 and Atari 800 (etc...etc..) shine on this CRT.

That is what I was attempting to convey.

:)

#54 bradhig1 OFFLINE  

bradhig1

Dragonstomper

• 642 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:45 PM

what does this board have that the original doesn't have?

#55 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,243 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:53 PM

I think more modern power supply is one of its strongest points.

#56 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 10,317 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 PM

The Commodore 64 Reloaded MK2 includes the following on the board:

• 128k S-Ram chip
  • flash rom for Kernal, Basic, Character and your own sets of ROMs
  • clock generator equivalent to the CSG8701 chip with two custom crystals
  • PLA equivalent to the CSG 906114-01 chip
  • Stereo-SID circuit configurable for three different popular addresses
  • S-Video and 3.5mm stereo outputs
  • USB to serial link for configuring the board with a terminal program
  • high-efficiency power conversion for operation from a single 12V supply
  • Power switch with integrated reset function
  • six all-black high quality ZIF sockets

#57 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 455 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:25 PM

The MK2 board is different from the MK1 in a number of ways, the main benefit for me was it's easier to configure. You no longer have to set jumpers, or worry about voltages or anything like that. Just mix and match the chips you want from a 64 or 128 (CIA or SID) and you are good!

You'll need to supply the following chips to make it work of course:

CPU

2 CIA

VIC-II

1 or 2 SID

Of course these are not the only new features. Have a look at the iComp site for more information.

#58 bradhig1 OFFLINE  

bradhig1

Dragonstomper

• 642 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 PM

2 sids would that mean stereo sid music?

#59 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,069 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Today, 12:15 AM

2 sids would that mean stereo sid music?

It is configurable to stereo SID with the second SID at $D420, $D500, both, or $DE00, OR mono single SID but switchable between the two.  In the latter configuration you could have a 6581 in SID #1 socket and an 8580 in SID #2 socket and switch between them at your whim.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users