Photo

Strange label games

3 replies to this topic

#1 Leonardo Biagi ONLINE  

Leonardo Biagi

Chopper Commander

• 154 posts

Posted Thu Aug 3, 2017 10:30 PM

Hello everybody!!! I purchased some Colecovision Carts and a few have a strange label "Sport Game present video game cartridge". I'm from Brazil and it also says Made in Brazil. I haven't got them yet so I haven't test them, but they are supposed to be: Up n down, Gteway to Apshai and Qbert Cubes. Can anybody give me some information about this label? Could it be that some owner printed to replace or something? Or do you know if some company in Brazil sold them? Maybe bootlegged or so? As soon as I get them, i'll test them and report it back to you.
Thanks in advance.
Leonardo

Attached Thumbnails

• console-video-game-game-D_NQ_NP_325905-MLB25121180906_102016-F.jpg

Edited by Leonardo Biagi, Thu Aug 3, 2017 10:40 PM.

#2 Sgt Jack V OFFLINE  

Sgt Jack V

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 6:36 AM

Those cartridges look like they say "Sport Game presents Video Game Cartridge", so the company may actually be named Sport Game.

#3 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,804 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:38 PM

Sega, Epyx and Parker Bros. made the games you listed above and all three of them used a different cartridge shell than isn pictured. So these are all bootleg cartridges and not something like the old labels were ruined/came unglued and new labels were made for them.

#4 Leonardo Biagi ONLINE  

Leonardo Biagi

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 154 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:23 PM

I made some research of my own and with help from coleco_master, I gather some information and by living the 80's came to a final conclusion.

The economy in Brazil was protected due to living in a military government. The market was closed to imported products and so some companies "imported" the games and made as if they were theirs. So this "Sports Game" and "Coleco mania" were some of the companies that sold this games as if they were theirs and made here in Brazil. Not to fool the consumer, but as an alternative from the protected market. It was the same with Atari cartridges.

Did it make sense?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users