IGNORED

New Gamecube HDMI adapter

Saw it in another thread, I'll definitely be picking one up. The games he showed looked almost like HD reboots. Proof that the GC hardware was capable of producing pretty graphics, it was just let down by poor video output.

• Like 1

Nice - I didn't know about it either. I will almost definitely pick one up too - the component cable situation on GameCube is honestly one of the big reasons I don't play that system much anymore. It's a great system that had some of the best graphics of its generation, but it's just hard to look at it now in composite. All the other systems of that era I have some sort of higher-quality cable for. So this should be great.

• Like 1

Saw it in another thread, I'll definitely be picking one up. The games he showed looked almost like HD reboots. Proof that the GC hardware was capable of producing pretty graphics, it was just let down by poor video output.

Yeah I couldn't believe the difference. Right now I'm rocking svideo and would love to step it up to HDMI. I emailed the guy and am waiting a response.

Fry here.... GO ahead and take my money!

Take that people who want to make a simple cable cost $300. Superior quality, superior modern format jack, and a superior price that's not a scam. Trifecta achieved.

What a solid choice MJR used there to really show how far this thing takes it. Star Wars was a great lead off, and to show how the GBA sharpens up on the backend with widescreen intro'd into the middle of all that was a good progressive choice.

Added myself to the list. I could see playing a good bit more of my Cube than i rarely do now if I had that because I also love Gameboy and use the player on it.

Ooh nice. Though I have a component cable from back then, which is apparently hard to find. Such a nice little system, the oldest thing I have still hooked up to my TV.

I don't think the reality of it is that it is hard to find, but it's hard for people to justify paying upwards of around $300 for a component cable as it's insane.

Regarding the end of the video where MJ talks about having a similar device for the Xbox:

The reason the GC device works so well is because it uses the digital port and the signal remains digital all throughout the process to HDMI. However, the Xbox does not have a similar port, it only has the analog video port. A plug-and-play device would have to convert the analog Component Video into HDMI and there are many devices that do this but they are not to the level that the new GC device is. To do digital to digital you would have to install a board that would tap into the raw digital signals off of the motherboard and install an HDMI port in the back. Thankfully there is plenty of room inside an Xbox if such a device could be made. And, while we're on the topic of "Xbox device wish lists" I would like a device that would allow me to use the Xbox One controller on both the original Xbox and the X360 (and one to use my PS4 controller on the PS1, 2, and 3).

• Like 1

Good idea. The price of those cables should drop considerably in the near future.

If these HDMI adapters become more readily available... As long as he's making them himself at his house, I think the demand will far outstrip what he's able to supply. His limitations on production will keep the supply of these low enough that I doubt it will affect the price of the component cables for a while. But if he can find someone to license his design to and manufacture it or sell the design/patent... whatever... oh, by the way, does he have a patent on this? I can see this as something someone would steal...