Photo

New Gamecube HDMI adapter

228 replies to this topic

#226 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,666 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:53 PM

Okay I realize it's been some time, but I think I might know what you had wrong possibly?

I happened to plug my HDMI modded GameCube into an older HDTV (an old 42" Vizio with older HDMI ports). When I initially loaded it up... Super Mario Sunshine looked blocky as crap. I was thinking I had somehow damaged it moving it around, but then I found out what was wrong... For me, I had to disable the "Enhanced DVI mode" option in the GCVideo options. I'm not sure why or any of the details on this, so please don't ask me. However, turning "Enhanced DVI" off made it look remarkably better. I didn't test this with a lot of games, but it was a dramatic difference for Super Mario Sunshine.

For my GameCube, I get to it with a button combination, but I believe those of you using the adapter have to access it via a remote. Might check and see if it's on. If you turn it off and it improves... then huzzah!

Only problem with this is that "Enhanced DVI mode" is also the only way to get audio over HDMI. If you disable it, you'll have to plug in a regular Nintendo A/V cable to get audio out of it. 

Hopefully this helps someone out who might be experiencing this issue. 

Not sure if we're on the same page here. My Wii GAME CUBE GAME CUBE GAME CUBE has the HDMI adapter. Yours is modded. I get audio output to TV just fine through the digital port, no setup necessary (still using default settings). Truthfully I haven't attempted to access the menu yet but hopefully my Comcast cable box remote will work with it.

#227 KeeperofLindblum OFFLINE  

KeeperofLindblum

Moonsweeper

• 492 posts
  • The Real Keeper

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 11:05 AM

Not sure if we're on the same page here. My Wii has the HDMI adapter. Yours is modded. I get audio output to TV just fine through the digital port, no setup necessary (still using default settings). Truthfully I haven't attempted to access the menu yet but hopefully my Comcast cable box remote will work with it.

I'm assuming you meant GameCube there? If not, then we are definitely in two different spots. :lol:

Both the internal and external mod use the exact same software for the GameCube HDMI. They are all based on GCVideo as it's the software that allows the digital conversion to occur. The only difference for us is how we access the menu. 

Granted, if you are talking about Wii, then it's probably a different scenario entirely. 

#228 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,666 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:09 PM

I'm assuming you meant GameCube there? If not, then we are definitely in two different spots. :lol:

Both the internal and external mod use the exact same software for the GameCube HDMI. They are all based on GCVideo as it's the software that allows the digital conversion to occur. The only difference for us is how we access the menu. 

Granted, if you are talking about Wii, then it's probably a different scenario entirely. 

Fixed the original post for you. ;-)

I haven't dabbled with the remote settings yet but I'm happy for an adapter that doesn't require modding. Nothing wrong with modding, but the cable adapter (not a kludge like the cheap Wii composite <-> HDMI adapters which give worse picture than natively hooking the component leads) is so much more elegant.

I recently got back my N64 HDMI mod; currently waiting on a mini <-> standard adapter in the mail so I can play with it. Once the Super NT comes out, I'll have access to 7 generations of Nintendo home consoles and three generations of handhelds in pure digital HD! :grin:

AVS

Super NT

UltraHDMI modded N64

Game Cube HDMI adapter

Wii-U (Wii compatible)

Switch

GB, SGB via Super Game Boy + Super NT

GB, GBC, GBA via Game Boy Player for Game Cube.

#229 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 3,130 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:01 PM

Just an added piece of the puzzle here.

Enhanced DVI Mode.

I just tinkered with that one.  Turning it off seems to screw up in the Star Wars games (so far) and others that use light and shadow the brightness.  I was playing the stage where you want to rescue on foot this rebel spy and the stage starts in a canyon speeder area and it was almost unwatchable.  I went playing around, and I had turned off DVI probably due to this thread, but when I re-enabled it the game was bright and popped as it was intended to on the old CRTs plus the clarity ticked up a notch too.

It kind of makes you wonder what the deal is exactly.  I don't recall if that was the stock setup but I saved it along with 16:9 mode too to the device.  They really should have made some manual/online faq about all the features and their behavior.  Some of it I still can't figure out how to ungray and activate it like the top one I believe it is.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users