IGNORED

Where does PS2 go?

TheTIGuy

OK, so I have had a PS2 for a while now, but i recently accesses(?) to a PS2 "fat" model, but I'm confused as to where to talk about it, as Modern Gaming is PSP at earliest, so I would just like to know where to talk about this sort of thing.

Thank you, TheTIGuy.

It's right on the cusp for me.

You could look at it this way... the what have you played lately thread in Classic gaming has a cutoff of the year 2000. Dreamcast just makes it (released 98/99). The PS2 just misses it (released 2000).

But Punisher5.0 has a point, too. After all, cars are considered "classic" at around 20 years, right?

But Punisher5.0 has a point, too. After all, cars are considered "classic" at around 20 years, right?

25. In my state anyway.

PS2 is definitely modern IMO. For me the cutoff is 2D/3D. So the PS1 is modern too. The Saturn would be arguable because it's basically a 2D system that they jury rigged rudimentary 3D into (mostly using software) at the last minute. But when systems started being designed for 3D graphics, that's when I'd say the modern era started.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Yeah, I looked it up and saw a few different numbers for "classic". Most were either 20 or 25. The next cutoff was 40 to 50 years for antique. But there's no way I could consider something like a 65 Mustang an "antique." Oh well. It's one of those things that there is no hard rule for and everyone is going to have a different opinion. (The console thing, not the car thing.)

I think I've also heard people use the move to disc based consoles be the cutoff, which parallels very closely with the 2D to 3D cutoff.

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 1

Well, anyhow, does anyone know of any games to look out for in particular? I have played R&C 1 an 2 many times over, so I am looking for R&C3 I geese.Also, any non-goodwill places that have games for a good price in the San Antonio/ 78200-78280 area? (Mum won't go to goodwill, dad is always at work)

It's one of those things that there is no hard rule for and everyone is going to have a different opinion. (The console thing, not the car thing.)

Well sure. It feels strange to me to even be talking about the PS2 as a classic system, though - when I signed up here, we were debating whether the NES was a classic system! (I think my position was that it was, but I was definitely argued with on that - there was still a large contingent that felt that the crash was the dividing line.)

Obviously it's kind of a moving target. But I don't think it's just divided by a set number of years, I think there are some distinct differences between eras. Cart vs. disc was once a decent dividing line, but now Nintendo's gone back to carts, and disc systems seem a little anachronistic (at some point pretty soon no one will be using them). So unless we're moving into the "post-modern" era, I don't think you can use that as the cutoff anymore.

To answer TheTIguy as for what games to look out for, this is a really good list in that it doesn't adhere strictly to "most popular = best": http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/04/the-50-best-ps2-games-ever/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas

Though I disagree a bit with #1. But I have probably 75% of the games on that list and all the ones I have from it are really, really good, whether or not they were commercial hits.

Remember buying Shadow of the Colossus and being pestered to buy the horse armor? Remember that first day spending 4 hours downloading a day-one patch to play it? Remember that time it got hacked and gave out your credit card information? Me neither. It's retro. :)

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 4

Well, anyhow, does anyone know of any games to look out for in particular? I have played R&C 1 an 2 many times over, so I am looking for R&C3 I geese.Also, any non-goodwill places that have games for a good price in the San Antonio/ 78200-78280 area? (Mum won't go to goodwill, dad is always at work)

Game Over Videogames is probably your best bet. There are three locations down here.

Sadly, the list is chock-full of games i can't afford or are rated above "T" or i simply don't like/want so i guess I'm just gonna look out for the Ty The Tasmanian Tiger games (my brother got TTTT2 at goodwill, got stepped on) and the rest of the R&C series for PS2 as my game discs for them are broken.

however, these are some possibilities.

Breath of Fire and the final fantasy games look good, and the TimeSplitter series too, so I'll be on the lookout.

I'd say two generations makes it classic. Few can agree but in general this is what I go by. Even there not always, as things like jaguar and Dreamcast have no newer systems, but I count those systems among the generation they belong to, Dreamcast being part of ps2 era and jag being part of the mid generation between SNES and 64 along with cdi and 3do

Eh, I suppose wherever you want, PS2 is riding the line between 'classic' and 'just old' right now... in my personal set of definitions, it's just on the wrong side of 'classic'- but it seems things are definitely ready to shift.

Right now, I use four groupings for consoles:

Vintage is anything preceding the NES. 'Pre-crash' if you want to call it that. (about 1972-1985)

Retro is the 8 & 16 bit era stuff. Basically, the cartridge era (although obviously some CD stuff falls here.) Pre Playstation. (about 1985-1994)

Classic is when CD based systems went mainstream. Some Net-capable systems are here, but not all. Includes Xbox, but not the 360. (about 1995-2004)

Modern is the internet connected, game downloading, HDMI enabled stuff we have now. (about 2005-now)

Looking at the timespans, we're overdue for a change-up... but for me, each era is defined by something that changes how we play or perceive games. The NES didn't change too much gameplay-wise, although it did mark a transition from arcade style, score based gaming to story-driven titles. More notably, it changed public perception of gaming from a fading fad to every kid's favorite toy. The Classic era saw the rise of CD-based, 3D gaming, and a shift away from kid-friendly fare- games aren't just toys anymore. And modern systems, for good or ill, have brought us game downloads, online multiplayer, and subscription based gaming. But we haven't seen a big shift or innovation of how people play since the 360 took most people online... so the modern end of things is feeling a little crowded while we look for another milestone to mark things out with.

Considering the runaway success of the Switch thus far, if other console makers follow suit, we could be at the beginning of the portable era. It's way too early to tell. But as soon as something- anything- other than the slow crawl of time happens to shift the thought process of gamers, the PS2 and its non-connected CD-based brethren will instantly pop into the classic era. In the meantime, it's in limbo, caught between kids wondering why we needed memory cards or wired controllers & adults desperate to not admit how old they've become.

• Like 1

It is right on the line, but I'd say it is still modern - All of the same genres of games are present on the system as we play right now on current consoles. It also uses a very similar controller, has online play, and offers games from franchises that have basically just received a graphical update for 2017.

• Like 1

I'm leaning toward "Classic" with the PS2. I also feel that the original Xbox and the GameCube are considered classic now as well. But that said, it's right on the line of going either way.

These were (along with the Wii) the last "Pre-HD" consoles, and they still look good on a SD CRT. These were the last ones you had to get up off the couch and turn on and off the old fashioned way, and these didn't have any built-in apps, save for a DVD player and music player on the Xbox and PS2.

Once the 360 and PS3 hit the streets, everything changed.

I have consoles of that generation hooked up in my "Retro Room", and I even added a 360 in there recently. Even that thing is 12 now!

Sounds good.

I mean we could go with 20 years as a mark, but would that be from the beginning or end of its life? Or could mk1 consoles be classic while mk2 are modern? :P

Come on, let's complisticate it up a bit (like its not already or something lol)

For me, the cutoff is whether or not it's still supported by the parent company and/or widely available for sale. Obviously the PS4 is current. But the PS3 is still supported by Sony and games are readily available new in most stores. New PS3 consoles are getting hard to find, but overall it's still "current." I give it another year or so before that changes. PS2 and older is clearly classic. No question there. I'm not sure why 3D graphics would make a console "modern" 3D graphics have been around a LOOOOOOONG time.

• Like 1

.Also, any non-goodwill places that have games for a good price in the San Antonio/ 78200-78280 area? (Mum won't go to goodwill, dad is always at work)

I cannot speak specifically to thrift shops in Texas, but here in Canada, the majority of what you will see just are sports and music games. Prices are usually about Cdn$5 (US$3.35) per game.

More broadly, I agree that the PS 2 is old enough to be considered Classic. It has long-since disappeared from the retail marketplace, and it is now two-generations old.

Edited by jhd

PS2 hasn't completely disappeared at Wal-Mart.

I bet I've been in 8 different Wal-Mart's this year in upstate NY looking for Wii U deals and so on, and the GTA Trilogy is still widely stocked and always present in the bargain section. So I suspect that's the case in many other places (Here's the Brickseek entry for this title to see if there's stock locally to you).

And just two Black Fridays ago, Wal-Mart even had PS2 games in their national ad. And while I'm skeptical these found their way to retail, Sega this year even commissioned reprints of Yakuza 1-4 for North America. So there's still a sliver of commercial life in the PS2, even at this late date.

While I own the Xbox collection with these three GTA games, if this ever hits $10, I think I'll bite. I bought the last new PS2 console that I ever saw in the wild, so it seems fitting to buy the last new PS2 game I ever see at retail, too.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3