IGNORED

some more 15 pin gameport pc to 5200 adapters

bohoki

got a little batch of my old ones

$11 shipped anywhere in the usa

$12 for one with 2 plug shields

these work with most analog controllers and many gamepads i like using them with the original gravis gamepad

they have a start button but you must plug in a 5200 controller for keypad use

they have been tested on my system and work but realize they are shoddily constructed and experimental devices so use at your own risk

DnbCoW2.jpg

• Like 6

I am glad you started this thread Bohoki. I received one of your gadgets in pickup here in the SD area last year. The guy is a fellow AA'er who was liquidating his collection. He explained to me all about this little doo-dad at the time, but his Gravis D-Pad was filthy, so I put both items away for a while until such time that I could give them a good scrubbing.

This item is IDEAL! Such a simple little device, and I had NO idea that 15-pin PC gamepads would WORK with the Atari 5200! The Gravis D-pad RULES and has transformed my Atari 5200 experience 100%. Using this Y-adapter makes for perfect harmony with the stock CX-52 controller.

Thanks for making these. I highly recommend!

And yes, go for that cheap Gravis D-pad. If they had made these in the 80s...

Here is my presentation with some of my favorite controllers for use with this adapter (go to 1 minute 49 seconds in):

Great video, have you found that most PC controllers work with bohoki's adapter?

That Barracuda along with the Barracuda 2 is unique for PS1 pre-analog stick games. The Barracuda can be set so the analog stick emulates the DPad in the older PS1 games!

Edited by CRTGAMER

i'm surprised you only had a 60% rate but i understand the older sticks are often harder to find than the newer sticks as they break become obsolete and thrown away

my basic rule of thumb is that the driver based joysticks were made after 1995

its almost like the "you might be a redneck jokes"

if your controller has more than 6 buttons you might be a driver based joystick

if your controller is analog and doesnt have trim tabs or centering dials you might be a driver based joystick

if your controller was made by microsoft you might be a driver based joystick

if your controller came with a usb adapter you might be a driver based joystick

if your controller has a yellow plug you might be a driver based joystick

the original standard is 4 axes and 4 buttons

but within those limitations

2 of the axes can be used as as 2 buttons so that can be a 6 button gamepad or combat stick

with flight sticks one axis can be used as a pov hat button or a throttle slider and the other axis can be rudder pedals

the gameport was enhanced with windows 95 to allow it to be a serial device but it had a dirty secret that it still used an irq line that often would reduce cpu speed by around 20%

back to basics even when you find a joystick that should work it could have problems with "old pot syndrome" or just "crappy pot syndrome" where it would act like trying to play breakout with jittery paddles

i love the old Kraft sticks they work well but their button placement is often not from the ergonomic age

suncom made some neat sticks but they often added an autofire that draws too much current and can cause a pulsing jitter even when the autofire is off (the beige starfighter stick does not work with my adapter ) if you have some skill say you have the fx2000 you can unscrew the bottom and just cut pin#1 on the 555 chip and it will work fine

there are some sticks that have a keyboard cable to allow it to have more buttons for flight sims and stuff those are always the old type so will work the thing with the flight type sticks is they have so much throw and have so many buttons on the stick they are not good for action arcade games its great for star wars and missle command

its kind of odd back then we would have different controllers for different games like when i bought my gravis gamepad it came with commander keen and that game would be hard as hell using a flightstick

• Like 1

... it might be 70 percent. I just know I had a run of bad luck for a while with some joysticks/flightsticks and joypads (A Microsoft and a Saitek pad)... but I've managed to come acrossed a few in the past year (including a Wico Command Control joystick for the PC and the Makopad PC which worked amazingly well).

ive experimented with 3 one was the n64 type hand wheel and it works but its not fun because shifting requires up and down which the controls is on the bottom in the form of a back and forth type trigger i was steering with my right hand so i was holding the gas pedal which was button a with my left thumb and had to shift with my left index finger so to replicate that just grab a remote controlwith your left hand press a button with your thumb now take your index finger and imagine pressing it upward under the bottom

another wheel i had was i think called grandprix it had paddle shifters behind the wheel so left paddle was up and right paddle was down it worked ok but i had to mount the wheel to a surface with suction cups which is sometimes hard to find a super slick surface so i had a sheet of glass springclamped to a tv tray and even with the suckers moist they one would let loose and the tv tray was rocking as i was pushing the unit back down all while having to hold down the A button which was under my right thumb

the third wheel i think was called the gasser had pedals so now you are thinking wow neato well no

because you still are driving pressing A for gas this one had a on the left side b on the right so i am pressing A with my left thumb the whole time and to shift up i have to hit the gas pedal and to down shift i press the brake also this one used a clamp so i had to find a surface with an overhand that the clamp could grasp so there i am with a wheel clamped to a coffee table about a foot off the ground so there i am humped over on the couch stomping pedals and moving the wheel like i am driving a kiddie power wheel vehicle

now i dont know about you but i like gaming barefoot well these pedals have some slightly sharp corners and little spiky treads believe it or not it kind of hurts so now i got to go put on some shoes well socks and shoes because if i dont wear socks my shoes will be ruined (i learned that i would swampfoot out a pair of vans in a couple weeks if i didnt wear socks)

also if you are thinking why didnt you clamp it to the tv tray well i clamped it on then i steered and the little clips that hole the tv tray to the legs would pop lose so no i steering attached to plank with limp dangling spider legs as i am trying to find the controller attached to the y adapter to press pause as i go flying around that one corner into that one gotdang red billboard

• 2 months later...

AVE1 posted a video using your adapter with an additional PSX/N64 adapter. Who would have though so many more controller options over just the 5200 Wico setup :-D

PS1 PS2 and N64 controllers 5200 games - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271558-new-discovery-get-analog-ps12-and-n64-controllers-playing-5200-games/?do=findComment&comment=3880324
  • Like 2

Are

got a little batch of my old ones

$11 shipped anywhere in the usa

$12 for one with 2 plug shields

these work with most analog controllers and many gamepads i like using them with the original gravis gamepad

they have a start button but you must plug in a 5200 controller for keypad use

they have been tested on my system and work but realize they are shoddily constructed and experimental devices so use at your own risk

DnbCoW2.jpg

are any still available? PM me if so, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...