IGNORED

Cartridge repair

gyuuu

Anyone know how to open up a TI-99 cart? Specifically the later beige ones with the plastic post instead of a screw; my copy of space bandits has a weird video error which I suspect is due to a cold solder joint.

In the pic below, the first panel points out the center post with the sealing collar formed by melting the post. The next panel shows the small, curved X-acto blade I use to gently shave off that collar. The last two panels show how to insert a small screwdriver blade into one of the two slots exposing a plastic latch that needs to be spread toward the outside of the cartridge to release that corner while gently tugging apart the two halves. Repeat on the other corner. Then with the cartridge upside down, gently separate the halves while hinging on the label. Now, while holding down the spring-loaded dust protector (if there is one), you can rock the cartridge PCB up and out of the cartridge. Observe how the spring is attached before moving your finger from the dust protector.

post-29677-0-60915000-1502016669_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 years later...

Almost impossible.

Can you get in to basic just fine?

If so, you probably have a grom port issue - dirty, bad solder joint, etc.

I clean my grom port, by doubling over a business card, spraying a bit of deoxit on it and inserting that in to the grom port a couple of times.

The cartridge edges can be cleaned the same way by hitting a lint free q-tip with deoxit and rubbing the fingers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 1:37 AM, dhe said:

Almost impossible.

Can you get in to basic just fine?

If so, you probably have a grom port issue - dirty, bad solder joint, etc.

I clean my grom port, by doubling over a business card, spraying a bit of deoxit on it and inserting that in to the grom port a couple of times.

The cartridge edges can be cleaned the same way by hitting a lint free q-tip with deoxit and rubbing the fingers.

I had to remove the port from the main board and clean it with a toothbrush and alot of  deoxit but that did the trick. Now i can introduce my 5y to my childhood computer games like Parsec and Soccer.

Thanks alot for the help!

//Andy

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

I have a TI 99/4A Atari (centiped) cartridge that broke the posts that held the grom port board.  I have repaired the posts and I am ready to put it back together but I don't remember if the solder side or chip side of the board was 'up' when it is inserted into the slot.  The case is black with a screw under the top label.

37 minutes ago, TI TOM said:

Thank you for the help.  I really didn't want to give up on the cartridge I am realizing that I need to take pictures as I take things apart.  

If I had a nickel for every time I promised I would do just that...

• Like 1