Photo

Cartridge repair

2 replies to this topic

#1 gyuuu OFFLINE  

gyuuu

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:04 AM

Anyone know how to open up a TI-99 cart? Specifically the later beige ones with the plastic post instead of a screw; my copy of space bandits has a weird video error which I suspect is due to a cold solder joint.

#2 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,386 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 5:09 AM

Anyone know how to open up a TI-99 cart? Specifically the later beige ones with the plastic post instead of a screw; my copy of space bandits has a weird video error which I suspect is due to a cold solder joint.

In the pic below, the first panel points out the center post with the sealing collar formed by melting the post.  The next panel shows the small, curved X-acto blade I use to gently shave off that collar.  The last two panels show how to insert a small screwdriver blade into one of the two slots exposing a plastic latch that needs to be spread toward the outside of the cartridge to release that corner while gently tugging apart the two halves. Repeat on the other corner.  Then with the cartridge upside down, gently separate the halves while hinging on the label.  Now, while holding down the spring-loaded dust protector (if there is one), you can rock the cartridge PCB up and out of the cartridge.  Observe how the spring is attached before moving your finger from the dust protector.

Attached File  CartridgeSeparation.jpg   65.49KB   3 downloads

...lee]

#3 gyuuu OFFLINE  

gyuuu

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:50 PM

Thank you so much! Going to give this a shot.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users