Photo

Is it time to unpin the .BIN Repository for burned cartridges?

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Concerning the .BIN Repository... (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the .BIN Repository for burned cartridges be 'unpinned'?

1. Yes 'unpin' the thread, it's time has passed. (Based on activity levels). (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

2. No, keep the thread where it's at. (17 votes [77.27%])

Percentage of vote: 77.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Kwisatz Haderach

• 10,276 posts
  • TI-99/4A Fanatic

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:55 AM

Since the FlashROM 99 and FinalGROM 99 came out, the '.BIN Repository - Images for burning cartridges' thread has for the most part been taking up space at the top of the TI-99/4A Computer section.  Is it time to 'unpin' the thread?

#2 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Moonsweeper

• 449 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 6:33 AM

My answer is 'I don't know'- browsing through the thread it seems like there's some pretty neat info if someone was interested in just burning a single cart or playing around with EEPROMs.

#3 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,422 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 7:49 AM

Unpin doesn't equal delete. It will still be here.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#4 Asmusr ONLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,400 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:07 PM

I never understood the need for the "FlashROM 99 & FinalGROM 99 - Image Repository" when we already had the ".bin" repository. Apart from handful of inverted images, which could be marked as such, it's the same files, right?

#5 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Dragonstomper

• 682 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:27 PM

Why not unpin those two instead?

#6 Gip-Gip OFFLINE  

Gip-Gip

Chopper Commander

• 204 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:53 PM

I don't see why it should be unpinned. It isn't taking up much space  :P

#7 PeBo OFFLINE  

PeBo

Dragonstomper

• 813 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 7:09 PM

the arrival of something new, does not necessarily equate to the abandoning something old.

If anyone should understand that, it is a group of people who play with 35 year old hardware!!!

The FR99 did not stop folks from wanting to create their own carts, and neither will the FG99.. If you're going to unpin it, then unpin the FR99/FR99 threads as well and create a single pinned "ROM/GROM" thread that encompasses all the various formats/purposes. Otherwise leave everything as it is, so that individual users can decide how they want to feed software into their 4A.

Just remember that a "repository" is never going to maintain a high degree of posting activity, and it's usefulness should be measured more by how many folks are reading the thread, than how many are contributing, (or how new the most recent post is).

I understand that unpinning does not delete the posts, but it does make the thread much more difficult to find as it slowly moves down the activity scale. After all pinning should not be for the most popular topics, they will naturally continue to appear on the top of the thread listings precisely because they are popular. The reason to pin something is to keep it at the top of the listings as it becomes LESS popular because it continues to be pertinent information that users might want easy access to..

Edited by PeBo, Sun Aug 6, 2017 7:12 PM.

#8 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,084 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 7:16 PM

Besides, any UberGROM file that uses more than 5 GROM slots is unsuitable for use with the FinalGROM, as are 2M ROM images for the Yellow Boards, so both threads will always have value.

#9 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Moonsweeper

• 449 posts

Posted Mon Aug 7, 2017 5:27 AM

the arrival of something new, does not necessarily equate to the abandoning something old.

If anyone should understand that, it is a group of people who play with 35 year old hardware!!!

The FR99 did not stop folks from wanting to create their own carts, and neither will the FG99.. If you're going to unpin it, then unpin the FR99/FR99 threads as well and create a single pinned "ROM/GROM" thread that encompasses all the various formats/purposes. Otherwise leave everything as it is, so that individual users can decide how they want to feed software into their 4A.

Just remember that a "repository" is never going to maintain a high degree of posting activity, and it's usefulness should be measured more by how many folks are reading the thread, than how many are contributing, (or how new the most recent post is).

I understand that unpinning does not delete the posts, but it does make the thread much more difficult to find as it slowly moves down the activity scale. After all pinning should not be for the most popular topics, they will naturally continue to appear on the top of the thread listings precisely because they are popular. The reason to pin something is to keep it at the top of the listings as it becomes LESS popular because it continues to be pertinent information that users might want easy access to..

Thank you for explaining better what I was trying to say, lol

#10 Sinphaltimus ONLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,846 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Mon Aug 7, 2017 1:49 PM

If I could change my vote from YES to NO I would because of this...

I feel selfish for voting yes. :(

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users