IGNORED

Steve Tucker of Atarimax MIA?

hloberg

I haven't come across any .XEX yet that won't run. FYI I would not get a hold of Steve but Mr. Atari on Atarimax for the patch. Mr. Atari wrote the software Steve just sales the hardware for MyIDEII.

Steve wrote the Fat32 Launcher. He's the one that needs to be contacted to get the patch implemented in the launcher.

• Like 1

Months ago I promised Tucker that I would collect all the games that did not run, and that I would explain to him why these game do not run from the FAT32 loader, and why my patch does run them. I still have to do this... time time time...

It has been too long ago already for me to remember it all quite very clear. I have to dive into it again. Stupid me did not document or save my source on a place I can simply find it back.

I remember there were issues with clearing up ZP memory (some games expect zero's at locations that were not zero), there was a slight issue with multi-stage loading and IIRC I also managed to work with a lower MEMLO (but I can be very wrong about that).

For me it is clear as water that the MyIDE ][ interface is an under-estimated and under-rated device. It is truly a fabulous piece of hardware and it's possibilities are virtually endless. The combination of (easily user adaptable) Flash and SRAM memory make it a very interesting device for people who write their own software. With the excellent MyBIOS, the FAT32 loader(s) and the great amount of compatible titles, it is one of the coolest carts to obtain for your atari 8bit computer. Even on a 64K stock atari it does amazing things. It runs almost any game, it mimics a cartridge (games, but also tools like Mac/65), it is a harddisk interface, it is an SDX cart... and all in one cart. Once you unleash all the power, you'll wonder how you ever could have lived without it!

I am very aware that the MyIDE system has a learning curve; but for all types of users (novice, intermediate and expert) it is very appealing.

The only two things that it lacks are a built in RTC and a tiny reset button. The reset button is not really a flaw. With MyBIOS one has several options to do coldboots without powercycle. And the RTC... well there are solutions too.

So I hope people keep buying stuff at Atarimax, and if they keep doing that: please put one of these MyIDE ][ carts in your shopping basket too. You'll love it. The only hard decision for you is what color you would prefer. I have several blue and green versions, and both colors are very cool. I think I prefer the blue ones the most.

And if you need any support, post your questions in the Atarimax MyIDE ][ forum, or ask your questions here on AtariAge. You even can contact me if you like.

And no: I am in no way related to Atarimax, MyIDE ][ or whatever. Except for the fact that I'm (still after all these years) a true fan.

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 4

Steve wrote the Fat32 Launcher. He's the one that needs to be contacted to get the patch implemented in the launcher.

Yeah... I have to discuss this with Tucker. My patch is not really a patch, it is a complete new 'binary loader' ... the only thing the FAT32 loader does, is the part that it loads the XEX file into the SRAM. As soon as the file is loaded (which is patched, and my own loader is actually glued to the patched XEX file) my loader takes over. If I may say so, it is quite smart. Only problem is, that once you have patched a file, it is a MyIDE 2 ONLY file. So you always have to keep a backup copy of the original XEX files too, if you may move your games library to another cart or system (or in case Tucker improves his FAT32 loader one day).

So although my patcher works really well (it sounds a bit weird to say that about something I created by myself, but when I look at the results... i think it is seriously cool), it is quite stupid method.

Perhaps I should spend less time on AtariAge and simply put myself back to the a8 and investigate my code and find out what the reason is, that it works so well. When I found out, I will contact Tucker and ask him whether he can fix his loader.

Edited by ProWizard

I sent my 4 year old 8mb Maxflash cart to Atarimax about a month ago because it stopped programming. It has taken a while for Steve to respond, but he did send out a replacement yesterday. So while his slow response time can be upsetting to some, I'm quite happy about his generous replacement policy. I will continue to buy his products and support him.

• Like 7

He shipped my product yesterday. I'm sorry for having doubted the guy and will do business again with him now that I know that the lack of communications is modus operandi for him. It's just that in this day and age of instant gratification, the simple act of not being quick on the reply button tends to rise the level of someone anxiety, especially when it involves $$$. :grin:

• Like 1

The flash carts themselves are what you put your programs on.

The programmer flashes the carts directly by connecting to a flash cart and loading the image over USB from your PC (using MaxFlash Cartridge Studio software -- Windows only, not Macintosh compatible).

The programmer isn't a necessity because carts can be flashed directly from the Atari too. The programmer is quicker, though, and can do other things such as dumping commercial rom cart images over to your PC.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

He shipped my product yesterday. I'm sorry for having doubted the guy and will do business again with him now that I know that the lack of communications is modus operandi for him. It's just that in this day and age of instant gratification, the simple act of not being quick on the reply button tends to rise the level of someone anxiety, especially when it involves $$$. :grin:

Not to push the button ... but if I read your post in the (locked) thread correct, I understand that Steve did respond (instantly?) but that it was sent to an address you did not expect him to respond to....

• Like 1

The programmer flashes the carts directly by connecting to a flash cart and loading the image over USB from your PC (using MaxFlash Cartridge Studio software -- Windows only, not Macintosh compatible).

The programmer isn't a necessity because carts can be flashed directly from the Atari too. The programmer is quicker, though, and can do other things such as dumping commercial rom cart images over to your PC.

Yes... the USB programmer is very handy; I use that programmer too. It is indeed Windows only, but I can confirm that it also works when you run Windows under Parallels on a Mac.

• Like 1

Not to push the button ... but if I read your post in the (locked) thread correct, I understand that Steve did respond (instantly?) but that it was sent to an address you did not expect him to respond to....

Not quite. The receipt for the transaction was sent to the old email, but he never answered the email I sent him to confirmed that everything was ok. But I agree that I've overreacted and I did admit I was wrong and if it can help, I'll even do it again right now!

Being human, I do make mistake. But I recognise when I do and try to not do it again.

• Like 2

it's good that some people are being helped by Steve which makes me wonder what is taking him so long with my problem.

the only thing I can guess is there is something really, really wrong with the APE 32-1 OS chip.

Does any one else have that chip in their 800XL working?

or maybe I just pissed the guy off which I can't see how, i was always really nice in my emails.

Also, how about some of you other people that has contacted him successfully as about me. Maybe all my emails been going into his spam filter.

it's good that some people are being helped by Steve which makes me wonder what is taking him so long with my problem.

the only thing I can guess is there is something really, really wrong with the APE 32-1 OS chip.

Does any one else have that chip in their 800XL working?

or maybe I just pissed the guy off which I can't see how, i was always really nice in my emails.

Also, how about some of you other people that has contacted him successfully as about me. Maybe all my emails been going into his spam filter.

I have two of his 32-in-1's and they both work flawlessly (for years). There is NOTHING wrong with the design, now that doesn't mean you don't have a bad chip or something of course.

Edited by Gunstar

Uflash will work to won't it? I have the USB programmer myself, but I think FJC's Uflash can work with a lot of stuff, I presume slower.

Well, Steve finally sent the replacement. Only took 7 months.

I guess he got really, really, really behind. Oh well.

I'm happy, I'm done so if anyone knows how to delete this post so as not to sully Steve's good name, let me know.

Posts don't get deleted as that will mess with the structure of the forum too much, think about all the people that contribute to threads, why should their comments just disappear. They simply remain for reference. THOUGH YOU MAY have it LOCKED if you request an admin to do so....maybe? Don't worry, in a couple weeks or a month or 3 months a brand new thread with the same Steve Tucker concerns is sure to surface again, it is somewhat of a tradition here. ;)

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Well, Steve finally sent the replacement. Only took 7 months.

I guess he got really, really, really behind. Oh well.

I'm happy, I'm done so if anyone knows how to delete this post so as not to sully Steve's good name, let me know.

Glad to see you got sorted, and sorry to hear it took that long!

Really?

I didn't shot it but felt like it. Can't even test if the chip works cause I can't use the select button to change the OS.

thinking what I'll do next. I THINK Best sells the mylar keyboard backing and ribbon. if not, I'll just look on eBay for an 800XL at good price.

or maybe I'll do something else, I don't know.

In reality, this machine has been cursed from the beginning. I had 2 power supplies go out. The power light went out. I've had video issues. It keyboard issues when I got it that i had to fix. the APE OS issues and now this. maybe this was an omen and it's time to retire it to the parts bin and get another one. This machine is one of the early, early 800XLs and may been a refurbish ta' boot as it had two different serial numbers; one on the machine label then another later serial number pasted over the earlier number.

Edited by hloberg