Photo

How rare are Atari 8-bit custom chips getting these days?

ANTIC GTIA POKEY SALLY & PIA

30 replies to this topic

#26 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 17,672 posts

Posted Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:33 PM

Even the logic level translators are getting hard to find and less numerous. Several projects I oversaw used them. Now they don't.

#27 Bryan OFFLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 10,567 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:43 PM

You can always make your own with transistors, but I bet there will be simpler translation solutions available for a long time.

#28 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,011 posts

Posted Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:27 PM

We need a new production quad core PoKey made to exact original specifications.  Maybe we could add a little logic to make AUDC1-4 Volume-only mode (bit 4 set) also look at bits 5-7 for three more bits of resolution when playing digi-musix. This will also improve SID emulation big time.

How much would it cost to fab this in China?  I'm talking normal 40 pin DIP plug n play 5V chips.  I don't mind Chinese chips (except certain GTIAs) because that's where my iPhone was made.  If they can make iPhones, they can make PoKeys.

#29 ricortes OFFLINE  

ricortes

Dragonstomper

• 591 posts

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:11 AM

hehe, probably $100k up front. Problem isn't just the up front money IMHO, starting to get into physics and costs per unit. By that I mean a lot of cost reduction in electronics we have seen is through shrinkage of the die sizes. You get a lot more devices per wafer with miniaturization but have to reduce the voltages when the distance between signal paths gets so small 5 volts will jump it. IDK, choice between yield of 1,000 POKEY chips & 10,000 WiFi chips. 

I am a serial com junkie. I would love to have a system with 4 SIO ports. I'm just not sure we can pull it off.

• slx likes this

#30 kheller2 OFFLINE  

kheller2

Dragonstomper

• 972 posts

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 AM

There are many quad pokey converters to use normal pokey's and even quad pokey emulated chips.  How different are the pinouts on the quad vs non quad? Might be better to just mass produce quad pokeys with an adapter for us 8bitters 

#31 Xebec OFFLINE  

Xebec

Moonsweeper

• 311 posts

Posted Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:49 PM

One can hope in another few years home 3D Printers will be able to just print transistors at the size these chips were fabbed at 30-40 years ago..  

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users