IGNORED

The Last Undumped Game: 3D Attack Emerson Arcadia 2001/Gig Leonardo

Cool video. There is quite a lot going on for the Arcadia.

I already had noticed that some Interton VC4000 game had lots of stuff going on, it seems that whoever conceived the console didn't know how to balance the system and gave it lots of processing power and not enough graphical power.

I like those wire graphisms in game. I don't know if it's a system limitation or ease of use, but I prefer that to more block graphisms.

It sure looks outdated for 1983, but it's not so bad. It's lacking in the audio department but heh, not a big surprise.

• Like 1

Hi, over at the Yahoo Arcadia 2001 site I uploaded a dump of 3D Attack for the Arcadia 2001. I am playing and collecting for the Arcadia since 1982 (yes, indeed!).

I have a large collection and thanks to Harvey Kleine I was able to dump some rarities and protos over the years. This is one of them.

I need to find a place where I can upload this.

Original post is here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/arcadia2001consoles/conversations/messages/2483

Have fun

Stefan Piasecki

29092013-3DAttack-h.BIN

post-47659-0-19447600-1505315374.jpg

post-47659-0-88095100-1505315375.jpg

post-47659-0-70291500-1505315377.jpg

post-47659-0-56544500-1505315379.jpg

post-47659-0-79822500-1505315381.jpg

21_3D-Attack_Cart.PDF

21_3D-Attack_Leonardo_Box.PDF

21_3D-Attack_Anleitung.PDF

21_3D-Attack_Overlay.PDF

Edited by steve-vx
  • Like 6

I should maybe explain the screenshots. One is my dumper and shows it running on Mac Mess. The other is my Mame cabinet. And control of any (!) Arcadia game is so much better with arcade hardware. I have a turnable 4/8-way joystick. If Crazy Gobbler wasn´t a bit slow, it would have ben the perfect PM conversion. If you compare Funky Fish, Astro Invader, The End and the likes to their arcade originals you can see how good the conversions were. Jump Bug is even better than the original.

• Like 2

OMG it feels like a class reunion. Matt, I remember when we piled up stuffs just to save on shipping haha.

I have asked Harvey and Al about a repro run. Harvey finds the cart shells could be a problem - maybe they could be 3D printed or something. Al didnt get back to me yet.

And... "There's now no missing ROM dumps of any confirmed games." Yes, this is true, but only for the unconfirmed games.

• Like 1

OMG it feels like a class reunion. Matt, I remember when we piled up stuffs just to save on shipping haha.

I have asked Harvey and Al about a repro run. Harvey finds the cart shells could be a problem - maybe they could be 3D printed or something. Al didnt get back to me yet.

And... "There's now no missing ROM dumps of any confirmed games." Yes, this is true, but only for the unconfirmed games.

I have a few loose Arcadia carts that could be repurposed, sort of how the Multicarts use existing shells.

What unconfirmed games are there? I'm not the expert some are, but was under the impression that every rumored title had either been confirmed or somehow ruled out as having had a retail release. Really curious here :)

Ugh, repro is the wrong way to go, at least unless it is clearly marked as such. I just read elsewhere about a guy who lost $500+ on a fake NES game, and while I'm sure the Arcadia scene is nowhere as hot, it is like inviting fraudsters to the market.

Funny that you mention this, as my copy, the very same from this thread, might be back on the market soon, now it has served it's purpose of ensuring a ROM dump getting publicly released. One worthy collector has first right of refusal, if he declines it will be available generally. If you or anyone else is interested in owning a copy keep an eye out :)

I understand your concerns about how repros can be used for fraudulent purposes, but that's only a concern mostly in the markets for more popular systems such as the Nintendo crowd is into. If Arcadia fakes were a real concern we'd have already seen Red Clash fakes by now, to give an example. Same for other systems, such as Channel F and Studio II- yeah, somebody could make fakes or exact repros of the rarer games, but the potential market for them is just too small and too knowledgeable for it to be worth their while. There is, however, just enough collector interest in this for a repro to be made, particularly one with US Arcadia 2001 art in place of the Leonardo art. I myself would have no problem with selling my copy, even at a loss, and putting some of the proceeds toward a repro.

I suppose anyone who (just like me) is sick of certain genres of video game collection getting more and more monetized actually applauds perfect replicas, as those will water out the market and hopefully lead to people getting sick of it all and prices drop back to sane levels again. Yet in the mean time before the Video Game Crash 2.0 (or if it will be 3.0, not sure), I'll be sorry for my friends who think video games really are collectable items if they lose out several hundred dollars on what turns out to be counterfeit items.

I know we had this discussion in the RCA Studio II thread where I suggested any repros of the Demo and Bingo carts should be clearly marked as such. I got some feedback that it makes it less interesting to collect and put in the shelf if it obviously says it is a reproduction. However after seeing the pictures, I must congratulate Stupus for actually putting marking on the carts and box that this is a repro. It would take some filing down for a fraudster who comes across this to sell as a genuine cart.

I suppose the same can be said about the 3D Attack. You don't have to change the artwork, just put a line in small print at the bottom of the box and bottom of the cartridge label that says Reproduction. The game will look just as good in the shelf at some collector anyway, but the day it shifts ownership it can be spotted quite immediately that you're not selling a W@W L@@K R4RE 35+ year old game.

• Like 1

I suppose anyone who (just like me) is sick of certain genres of video game collection getting more and more monetized actually applauds perfect replicas, as those will water out the market and hopefully lead to people getting sick of it all and prices drop back to sane levels again. Yet in the mean time before the Video Game Crash 2.0 (or if it will be 3.0, not sure), I'll be sorry for my friends who think video games really are collectable items if they lose out several hundred dollars on what turns out to be counterfeit items.

I know we had this discussion in the RCA Studio II thread where I suggested any repros of the Demo and Bingo carts should be clearly marked as such. I got some feedback that it makes it less interesting to collect and put in the shelf if it obviously says it is a reproduction. However after seeing the pictures, I must congratulate Stupus for actually putting marking on the carts and box that this is a repro. It would take some filing down for a fraudster who comes across this to sell as a genuine cart.

I suppose the same can be said about the 3D Attack. You don't have to change the artwork, just put a line in small print at the bottom of the box and bottom of the cartridge label that says Reproduction. The game will look just as good in the shelf at some collector anyway, but the day it shifts ownership it can be spotted quite immediately that you're not selling a W@W L@@K R4RE 35+ year old game.

Yep, Stupus' Demo repro is the way to go on any repro of 3D Attack that might get made :)

Some mild indication of it being a repro, but also unobtrusive that it also satisfies the collectors by closely replicating the actual experience of seeing a 'real' cart/box on their shelf.

With this game, there's the question of whether to use the original Gig Leonardo box styling, or create a US box version. I'd actually want a US style box, as my personal Arcadia interest is mostly about the US set. Although, I'd also love to have, at the very least, US-style boxes made for all of the foreign exclusives. That would never be mistaken for a real one, as it is known that this never had a US release in the first place. The Leonardo box would be the one to make a repro of for those seeking the most authentic visual look.

Somebody over at launchbox has actually made US style box fronts of various foreign exclusives:

https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/platforms/games/79

One other thing is that if repros are made with a US style box the game # might have to be changed, as 3D Attack is cart #21 on the Leonardo, which is the number used by Grand Slam Tennis on the Arcadia 2001. It would look odd to have two different #21's on a shelf. Then again, even though GST got more common lately, there'd still likely be more boxed 3D Attack repros than boxed US GSTs.

• Like 1

Yep, Stupus' Demo repro is the way to go on any repro of 3D Attack that might get made :)

Some mild indication of it being a repro, but also unobtrusive that it also satisfies the collectors by closely replicating the actual experience of seeing a 'real' cart/box on their shelf.

The simpler way IMO would be to change the serial number or copyright year.

It's mostly unobstrusive and yet, it's a dead giveaway to see ©2017 on a cart and a box.

• Like 1

The simpler way IMO would be to change the serial number or copyright year.

It's mostly unobstrusive and yet, it's a dead giveaway to see ©2017 on a cart and a box.

If you want to obfuscate things, you could change MADE IN HONG KONG with MADE IN REPROLAND, which for a lot of items is the same thing. :)

Both of these work equally well- heck, even both could be used together.