Photo

Saucer Wars

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffrey_Bones OFFLINE  

Jeffrey_Bones

Dragonstomper

• 938 posts

Posted Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:52 PM

Not much to show but an obvious graphics swap of FF64 VR mode graphics. This is a my new toy I have been just playing around with the past 2 days. I hope to eventually turn this into a fancy shooting game

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones, Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:06 PM.

#2 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,340 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 AM

If you fix the apparent Z order bugs it should be alright. Remember:

Objects are displayed on screen in a back-to-front order. The higher up the list an object is, the further back it is displayed.

So you need to keep track of the zoom coordinates (or z position) of each of the zoomed objects and swap out objects as needed. I'm not aware of any raptor function that does this so you'll have to do it manually (i.e. swap around all properties of 2 objects).

Another possibility which doesn't involve swapping involves creating many objects, all of them invisible and making them strategically visible depending on the current order you wish to have on screen. More complex but probably faster.

#3 Jeffrey_Bones OFFLINE  

Jeffrey_Bones

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 938 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:12 AM

Yeah the z order thing looks really bad. I think Im going to have most of the levels set up in a 2D plane style scene where an enemy that moves towards the camera happens every now and then instead of an incoming armada. I have this idea of a 3d looking city that parallaxes as you move left to right similar to the city level in Defender 2000 and you would have to take enemies out from afar. Only occasionally one will see you and move towards you eliminating the on screen pileup seen in fast food 64.
I would however still like to do a scenerio with asteroids flying towards the screen as the asteroid sprite I used (from my PC game Retropia) looks damn sweet here! And its been reworked into a 4 bit sprite which is just fantastic. So I will still probably need to come up with a fix for the z order problem

#4 Jeffrey_Bones OFFLINE  

Jeffrey_Bones

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 938 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:21 AM

#5 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,004 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:47 PM

Nice framerate, viewport looks good, clipping looks good.  Nice start.

#6 Jeffrey_Bones OFFLINE  

Jeffrey_Bones

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 938 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:52 PM

Here is the city style level I wanted to do for this. Well the beginnings of it. I wanted a look similar to Iron Soldier but I honestly think these graphics are too colorful to portray an alien invasion... IDK I don't really like the vortex style background. I have no idea where the hell I'm going with this but I'm thinking a cross between missile command and space invaders where the alien ships attack the buildings and you have to peck them off.....

edit---> I think I can make the land and the buildings move up and down too, to simulate drop and gain in altitude...

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones, Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:16 PM.

#7 Jeffrey_Bones OFFLINE  

Jeffrey_Bones

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 938 posts

Posted Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:06 AM

Im just thinking that I could also make the buildings scale up (and any on screen ufos) by adding a counter and by pressing and holding lets say A it would simulate moving forward. The same event would also increase amy ufos hitbox size by 1 with each click forward. When you get so close it should stop. Then by pressing and holding C you could have a similar event scale the scene enemies and hitboxes back down simulating moving backwards. If I can do this as well as the altitude I may very well have a little fake 3D game here!

#8 Jeffrey_Bones OFFLINE  

Jeffrey_Bones

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 938 posts

Posted Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:17 AM

The only thing is lets say a ufo is flying just over top of a building. Not only would the ufo need to scale up as you approach, but it would also need to at sone point start moving vertically up and off screen (ie out of view) I still think its possible though and Im going to try that next!

#9 Jeffrey_Bones OFFLINE  

Jeffrey_Bones

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 938 posts

Posted Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:09 PM

I added traffic down below

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users