IGNORED

Sonic Mania First Impressions

game_escape

So for those who picked up Sonic Mania, what do you think? I was looking forward to this all summer and I'll offer my quick, and spoiler-free thoughts below.

Pros:

• Wonderful retro aesthetic.
  • Levels, while riffs on the classic Sonic levels, seem bigger and have some nice verticality to them.
  • Music is true to form.
  • Lots of fun homages to some off-beat aspects of the Sonic tradition.

Negatives:

• The controls feel slightly off and slightly less responsive from the Genesis days. I think this could be down to the PS4 controller, which I think gets less accurate with age.
  • Not a fan of the bosses after each stage. Feels unnecessary.
  • Some jumps and level design elements feel harder than the classic series. Either that, or my reflexes are declining with age.
  • Like 1

I just downloaded it to Switch, which is where it feels like it belongs. HOLY CARP this is fan service done right. It's like an alternate future where Sega 32X became the dominant platform, and this came out as a remix on cartridge in 1997.

I hope it gets ported to everything in the universe (I will certainly double dip on this if/when it comes to mobile), and that it makes them a thousand bajillion dollars.

• Like 1

Pretty good game. I use to be all about these Sonic games in the 90's. I even liked Sonic Adventure on the DreamCast but everything after was just mildly fun after that.

But this new is really back to oldschool Sonic fun. Everything feels so familiar yet sort of new again(those newish bonus stages,especially the Sonic CD types are really fun to play through.)

But is anyone getting abit of input lag with the Sonic 3D Blast type bonus stages? The ones where you collect blue dots while avoiding the red ones. The input is off and its effecting my timing. Probably will be patched later(the beauty of modern gaming eh? :D)

Playing the XBox One version. Will buy the Switch one later for portability, when doctor visits and road trips come into play.

(Edit) Input lag seems to be gone. Was downloading several games,could have been lag from that?

Just to be safe I rebooted the system,plays with good control now.

I'm reaaaally wanting this, but I'll have to wait until next pay to get it.

I'll be honest... I kinda forgot about this for the longest time and only remember seeing hints recently.

The opening animation really did it for me though and got me super hyped. (Although it's almost irrelevant since no gameplay. lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9zwpMj_8A

I don't own a PS4 or Switch yet, was wondering if my laptop could handle Sonic Mania - I have Lenovo intel core i7-4510u 2.0 / 2.6 Ghz (not sure why 2 Ghz are listed under My PC / Properties). Has Intel HD graphics 4400 .

EDIT - Well well, Sonic Mania has a "check your specs" feature. Looks like my GPU is the only weak link. It'll probably run but not at optimum frame rate or resolution. Oh, and it isn't available until August 29th on PC. bummer.

Digital Foundry claims controls are spot-on (in all version?) ... watch 30 seconds of this video at this start point -- (or watch it all if not bothered by spoilers)...

https://youtu.be/DXturRMOzU4?t=102

i played it on the xbox one.

feels great, and is very close to the response of the genesis sonic playability.

the level designs are great, and lots of time to explore...

they took away the point of the rings, since you don't get an extra man every 100... but theres

hidden extra men to make up for that.

you can use the dpad or the analog stick to move... the dpad works better...

i haven't tried it with a joystick yet...

the achievements are well thought out, and fun to attempt to get,

getting all the emeralds will be pretty tough though, and chasing the ufo levels are a lot of fun too...

highly recommended

later

• Like 1

On a similar note, how was Sonic 4? I honestly stopped paying attention to the series after 2 (I don't think I even played 3).

Sonic 4 was a lot of fun.

i played it on the xbox one.

they took away the point of the rings, since you don't get an extra man every 100... but theres

hidden extra men to make up for that.

You get a free man after every 100 rings on the PS4.

On a similar note, how was Sonic 4? I honestly stopped paying attention to the series after 2 (I don't think I even played 3).

Answering your question, let me explain my point of view. I played a lot of Sonic - all four Genesis games, also Sonic CD. I played it all over again on Saturn Sonic Jam. I dabbled with the Dimps-programmed GBA Sonic games but overall they didn't have the same impact on me. I didn't really like the focus on Sonic's new powers of air auto-locking and dashing into targets. That power is used a lot in the 3D Sonics , where it makes more sense since you can see so far a distance.

I was excited for "Sonic 4" but overall did not find it fun. :( The air dash is used a lot , and it seemed necessary to use it so much so you wouldn't fall to your death or hit spikes or enemies. The graphics were nice, but seemed bigger, so the view distance (running left to right) is even shorter than the original 2D Sonic games! But the deal breaker for me was the change to Sonic's physics. No longer did he have inertia; If you jumped to the right and left go of the dpad, Sonic would stop moving and drop straight down to the ground! I didn't bother with episode 2 of Sonic 4 but I read they tried to improve this. I'd rate Sonic 4 episode 1 a 4/10. I'd rate all 4 Genesis games 8/10 and higher.

• Like 1

I couldn't wait and went ahead and bought Sonic Mania today. Only got to play through the first world before I had to stop... It's pretty great.

Definitely for those who loved the old school Sonic and want more. Makes Sonic 4 look like garbage comparatively.

I just hope we don't get another single winner like we did with Sonic Generations. I know Sonic Forces is supposed to be a sequel to it, but I just wish Sega would pick something and stick with it.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

I'm kind of with Cafeman I did/do have Sonic4 ep1 (I think 2 as well from some android bundle) and I found them pretty bad for his list of reasons why it ended up not being much fun. It tried to fake you into feeling like it was an old return but it was a return as much to the Advance mechanics and forced too which just sucked. I never was big on Sonic but I could at the least without all the emeralds clear the old games just for fun so I'm not like fan invested into it but the difference was obvious.

If this one feels really like I'm rocking Sonic 1-4 or even Sonic on NGPC again -- good job.

• Like 1

3 is weird and interesting. 4 is a cash-in. Mania is the real deal.

Yeah 3 sort of turned me off for some reason (I fired it up once or twice but couldn't get into it). I liked CD, but the whole time travel thing made the game more annoying than fun.

Sounds like I'll have to try Mania. Maybe I'll look at 4 if I can get the two episodes cheap or something.

3 doesn't get re-released like everything else. I'm not sure why, but it might have something to do with Michael Jackson rights to the music? Anyone know for sure?

Going off topic here, but I thought they didn't use any of his music in the released version of Sonic 3?

I thought Sonic3 got dodged because primarily when you see it omitted it's those ATGames boxes that don't want to use SRAM unless they hack it in just for an RPG, and Sonic3 used save chip so it got left out over that.

That sounds far more reasonable. That and maybe the lock-on thing made it hard to port?