5200 Flip Cover Replacement

5200 Plastic Case Repair

35 replies to this topic

#1 Grover Torbel OFFLINE  

Grover Torbel

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:47 PM

Does anyone have a source for the smoked plastic flip up cover on the 5200 (example attached)?  It's a part that is often broken or missing and seems like it would be the sort of thing someone would be selling.  Best Electronics has none in stock.  

It could potentially be 3D printed, but is too big to be done by most any home printers.  I suspect there would be a market for this part, but not a big enough market to actually do even a tiny production run.  Any thoughts?

IMG_1980.jpg

#2 0078265317 ONLINE  

Quadrunner

• 5,951 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 PM

Get a used junk system on ebay with good cover.  Keep the cover and resell rest for junk.

#3 ApolloBoy OFFLINE  

ApolloBoy

Quadrunner

• 5,706 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:12 PM

I suspect there would be a market for this part, but not a big enough market to actually do even a tiny production run.

I think there's a large enough market for repro covers, that and the front smoked piece covering the controller ports are by far and away the most broken and missing pieces I've seen on the 5200. I've got a 2-port 5200 with a chunk taken out of the front piece and I'd love to get a new replacement.

Edited by ApolloBoy, Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:12 PM.

#4 spacecadet ONLINE  

spacecadet

River Patroller

• 2,715 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:22 PM

I think there's a large enough market for repro covers, that and the front smoked piece covering the controller ports are by far and away the most broken and missing pieces I've seen on the 5200. I've got a 2-port 5200 with a chunk taken out of the front piece and I'd love to get a new replacement.

Same here - I had a pristine system and dropped it one day and broke both of those panels. Been looking for a donor system ever since. It's surprisingly hard to find one that fits the bill. Either systems are pristine (like mine was), come with a box, all accessories and a bunch of games and cost $200+, or they're total junk, at minimum have these panels scratched up, but usually broken or missing too. I haven't found a 2 port unit by itself in really good condition for a half decent price yet.

Maybe I'm too exacting; these panels on my system still don't have a single scratch on them. They're both cracked/broken, but no scratches... so it's hard for me to replace them with panels that are all scratched up. At the same time, I don't want to pay $250 for two plastic panels. (I know I could sell the system later, but wouldn't get near that price if I swapped the panels out, and 5200's are a bitch to ship!)

#5 Good_Times OFFLINE  

Good_Times

Dragonstomper

• 767 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:56 PM

I'm surprised these aren't being laser printed.

#6 Grover Torbel OFFLINE  

Grover Torbel

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:09 PM

The problem with 3D printing them is the size is too big for most any home 3D printer. On a side note, I've often thought it would be cool to just create a whole new case that was just big enough to hold the 5200 main board. Such a case would likely be less expensive than re-creating the two pieces of plastic that routinely break.

Edited by Grover Torbel, Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:39 PM.

#7 Grover Torbel OFFLINE  

Grover Torbel

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:13 PM

It's surprisingly hard to find one that fits the bill. Either systems are pristine (like mine was), come with a box, all accessories and a bunch of games and cost $200+, or they're total junk, at minimum have these panels scratched up, but usually broken or missing too.

I suspect there are MANY people, including me, with this exact problem.

#8 Grover Torbel OFFLINE  

Grover Torbel

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:19 PM

Get a used junk system on ebay with good cover.  Keep the cover and resell rest for junk.

Wish I could, but sadly, most of the junk systems with good plastics have disappeared from eBay, at least at a cost + shipping totalling under ~60.

#9 Good_Times OFFLINE  

Good_Times

Dragonstomper

• 767 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:21 PM

The problem with 3D printing them is the size is too big for most any home 3D printer. On a side note, I've often thought it would be cool to just create a whole new case that was just big enough to hold the 5200 main board. Such a CAE would likely be less expensive than re-creating the two pieces of plastic that routinely break.

Ohhh, I see.  I really know nothing about them, other than the fabrication material is (I think?) similar to weed whacker filament.  

Yeah, custom covers could be a neat thing for 5200 fans.   Maybe cast them in various colors, opaques and smokies.  

#10 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• 5,521 posts

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 PM

Er... Laser printers are 2D only, they print onto paper. You meant to say 3D printer? No laser, just heated element and plastic string.

#11 0078265317 ONLINE  

Quadrunner

• 5,951 posts

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:48 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...IcAAOSwu~1ZlPNk

40 dollars and free shipping.

Or 30 + 17.50 shipping.  But he has make offer.  So he might go lower.

http://www.ebay.com/...nkAAOSw2n5ZhfS0

#12 spacecadet ONLINE  

spacecadet

River Patroller

• 2,715 posts

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...IcAAOSwu~1ZlPNk

40 dollars and free shipping.

Or 30 + 17.50 shipping.  But he has make offer.  So he might go lower.

http://www.ebay.com/...nkAAOSw2n5ZhfS0

First one actually has a giant crack in the flip cover, second one sold - I wonder if the OP got it. (I looked at that one, but I need both panels and it was a 4 port system.)

#13 0078265317 ONLINE  

Quadrunner

• 5,951 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:57 AM

First one actually has a giant crack in the flip cover, second one sold - I wonder if the OP got it. (I looked at that one, but I need both panels and it was a 4 port system.)

That might not be a crack in the first one on the right side.  Might just be dust or a mark.

#14 spacecadet ONLINE  

spacecadet

River Patroller

• 2,715 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 AM

That might not be a crack in the first one on the right side.  Might just be dust or a mark.

That is most definitely a crack that's been glued. The seller's even showing it off here, even if he doesn't mention it. This is how you get somebody to buy something and then when they try to return it, you can say "but I clearly showed that in the pictures".

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l1600.jpg

Edited by spacecadet, Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:25 AM.

#15 Good_Times OFFLINE  

Good_Times

Dragonstomper

• 767 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:32 AM

That is most definitely a crack that's been glued. The seller's even showing it off here, even if he doesn't mention it. This is how you get somebody to buy something and then when they try to return it, you can say "but I clearly showed that in the pictures".

You're right, a (poorly) repaired crack. Shitty. Really SHOULD be mentioned in the description somewhere....c'mon, guy; don't try to jerk people off.

#16 H454 OFFLINE  

H454

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 PM

c'mon, guy; don't try to jerk people off.

I think that's a whole different problem from shady eBay listings.icon_biggrinwink.gif

#17 MortoffGames OFFLINE  

MortoffGames

Chopper Commander

• 234 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:45 PM

Does anyone have a source for the smoked plastic flip up cover on the 5200 (example attached)?  It's a part that is often broken or missing and seems like it would be the sort of thing someone would be selling.  Best Electronics has none in stock.  

It could potentially be 3D printed, but is too big to be done by most any home printers.  I suspect there would be a market for this part, but not a big enough market to actually do even a tiny production run.  Any thoughts?

attachicon.gifIMG_1980.jpg

Most likely it would be something that needs to be injection molded. Its certainly very doable to have a mold made and can be done quickly however the problem is the size of the part would make the mold more expensive.

#18 Good_Times OFFLINE  

Good_Times

Dragonstomper

• 767 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 PM

I think that's a whole different problem from shady eBay listings.icon_biggrinwink.gif

ck.gif

#19 H454 OFFLINE  

H454

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:49 PM

I think the best bet to reproduction of the cover is casting a dark smoke resin in a silicone mold.

Much cheaper than you'd think .

The pressure vessel (need to help set with no bubbles) is the expensive part. The 5200 cover is just so long.icon_sad.gif

Something like this:

https://www.youtube....ytbChannel=null

The another problem is finding an unbroken cover to make a mold and not break it the process.

#20 ApolloBoy OFFLINE  

ApolloBoy

Quadrunner

• 5,706 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:16 PM

I think the best bet to reproduction of the cover is casting a dark smoke resin in a silicone mold.

Isn't resin fairly fragile though?

#21 H454 OFFLINE  

H454

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:17 PM

Isn't resin fairly fragile though?

Less fragile than the original and most 3d printings. Depends on the resin mix, going a solid color would probably be the strongest.

With a solid color, it might be possible to use a binder to increase strength as well.

But the fact is it's going to be somewhat fragile no matter what, do to design, not material.

#22 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• 5,521 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 PM

Any reason to keep transparent color? The controller cables out the side would clue in there's a controller hiding inside.  Just make it black to match the rest of the console.

#23 onemoretime OFFLINE  

onemoretime

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts

Posted Sat Sep 2, 2017 7:32 PM

Hmmmm. I ve got an old 5 gallon paint pot (good for 175 psi) that is begging to be converted just for this use after I get my place cleaned up and repaired...

#24 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,011 posts
  • I am the one who knocks!

Posted Sat Sep 2, 2017 8:21 PM

I bet Crazy Climber could make one of these out of aluminium.

#25 onemoretime OFFLINE  

onemoretime

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts

Posted Sat Sep 2, 2017 8:30 PM

I d imagine he probably could. Its more or less just a hunk of angle iron with some hinge pins.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users