IGNORED

Best cassette program recorder for 800XL/XEGS in 2017

Swami

I have read that belt rot is common in cassette program recorders like the 410, 1010, XC11 and XC12. I've heard the 1010 was the best built, but is likely almost a decade older than the XC12. Which type of program recorder are people having the best luck with these days, 30 years later? Is it reasonable to replace bad parts like the belts? Can good parts be found reasonably.

Is there some alternative that allows you to play and/or record on a typical tape recorder (also currently slipping in to obscurity).

Thanks.

Well, as XL and XEGS are of a different look and feel, it would be difficult to find a data recorder that matches style of both.

Atari 1010

Good choice is Atari 1010, because its manufacturing quality is good and it also has two SIO ports. This allows you to have disk drive replacement devices (such as SIO2SD, SIO2PC, SDRIVE) connected to the computer at the same time. And if you manage to get a revision that doesn't require a separate power supply, then even better. 1010s are definitely not cheap.

XC12

Data recorders from the 'XE era - power without the price' - XC12,XCA12,CA12 are not that good (except goo but short-lived XC11, and XL12 - slightly better than XC12). Manufacturing quality is worse and there is no 2nd SIO port (and not even the COMMAND wire). On one hand, these have a reputation of mediocre quality, on the other hand, my experience with various data recorders indicates that you can still make 5000 bps with a modded XC12. XC12s are inexpensive, but mostly located in Europe. The data recorders are typically gray, but there are some matching the XL-style)

Upgrades

Information on turbo upgrades available on the internet is mostly for the XC12. If you are interested in modding, XC12 is a way to go. For 1010, the information on turbo upgrades is scarce, but you can always try RAMBIT TURBO TAPE (RTT). RTT has official instructions for 1010.

Belts

Belts are easy to find and easy to replace for all models. The devices are 20+ years old, so it is reasonable to expect the belts to be worn-out. Replacing can take 5 minutes.

Edited by baktra
  • Like 1

Didn't someone recently do a project that emulates a cassette player using SD cards or something?

Duddie is working on something.

A generic SIO2PC device can emulate a data recorder to certain extent. I believe ATARIMAX offers something better that allows better data recorder emulation.

I have also seen this. SD card-base data recorder emulation with turbo upgrade support.

You know I never realized how many different program recorders there were for the A8s. Yes, two different 1010s and three 410s (possibly four). But the amount of "Grey" XE variants is crazy... six? eight?

Not to mention the GE Data Recorder and the odd MC 3810.

Sadly, nothing ever approaching the quality of the TI 99/4 PHP 2700 Tan/Black tape recorders.