IGNORED

Tempest 4000

Gregory DG

It's a good retro kinda time. Tempest 4000, Sonic Mania Plus & a game called Galencia which is an upgraded Galaga (and the programmer also released it on the Commodore 64!) and best it's only $1.79. Gonna trudge though Sonic Plus in encore mode first then hit the other games.

Is the PS4 version of the going to be VR enabled at some point?

Debating between getting this one the XBone and PS4 right now...Microsofts commitment to backwards compatibility is a huge selling point.

I think everything you need to know is here: http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=87478

Basically it was in there, it got ripped out, but it's supposed to go back in.

Long story made short that goes more or less like this, "we had it", "they say they did not want it", "We went WTF ?" but then "hey time is really really short actually with that time frame we could not really make it", "ok maybe later", "spent over 1 week to remove it all", then comes the exhibition, "oh actually the fans loved it/asked it could we have VR again ?" at this point "starts the italian swearwords" but "the compromise solution" would be to add a patch maybe later.

Of course this is extra work requiring extra time, but honestly given that VR has a "sort of two extra QA steps" that TAKE EXTRA time there's NO WAY we can do it in the time of NOW.

Could be done ? YES . Could be done NOW for THIS 'release plan' ? NO ! Later yes , now NO !

You have to consider that IN *ALL* of those things, apart the "technical times" to actually MAKE them that are not so small especially for all the "final adjustments" to make them really look and work nice - and there are many - there are "considerable digital bureaucracy times", digital and not, that are REALLY NOT SMALL.

I have a piece of sw today then it means "another 1/2 day to make forms", another some X days X between 2 and 5 to find " a slot " ( too book for the next step ) plus another week or so of "testing" finally get a "report" and hope it says "all ok" and does not contain any "MUST FIX" or "should be fixed" thing.

Secondary note apart, having NOTHING to do with Atari, "someone from MS" quite some time ago was all "I am going to send you some VR stuff would you like to work VR on Xbox" .. to which we said YES SURE and we EVEN sent some signed NDAs and things.

Then this person VANISHED completely .. never to be heard since ..

We should try - already done - once more again to poke him.

So really sometime 'don't ask me WTF' because I've seen this behavior N times now .. sometime things just get "stuck in strange limbos" .. then maybe you realize "oh that person does not work any more with us, he's gone" or such .. out of the blue ( for you ).

God I suck at this game. Only played a few times and only got to the pool level so far (5 or 6?)

Like others have said, controller are floaty, not really noticeable in most cases, but when you want precision it's not there. Circle bombs the level and bumpers jump once you earn it. You can select the latest level you completed which is nice. Hate the enemies don't get to start at the bottom of the level when you die, they cluster right at the top. At least you can start shooting before you land, but it still sucks.

Using motion controlls to fly through the rings between stages is hard, almost like the controller is unresponsive. Using it in other motion controlled games is no problem, so it's the games fault, not the controller (ps4)

The game is independent of the internet, it wants os to be 5.5, but it's on the disc so no problem there. The game either plays off the disc, or is so small I missed the install.

Like the look, the bg stuff isn't on the Playfield much so it doesn't annoy me, not sure about the warping and wiggling of the Playfield though.

Anyhow, still a good game, but not great. Having enemies restart when you do, and less floaty controls would make a world of difference.

Music access in the credit screen is a nice touch.

• Like 5

i like the look of it, and the newer particle effects.

the controls are decent, but could be better.

i only played tempest 2000 on the jagaur, and none of the versions after that,

so i'm happy with this version of it.

i'll post more thoughts when i put more time into it.

so far so good.

later

I'm loving Tempest 4000 so far. The controls with the d-pad on the XB1 version are tight. T4k seems to be slightly harder than TxK, but it is barely noticeable.

Someone asked about the game modes:

Pure: Start from level 1 every time.

Survival: Start from level 1 with max lives and see how far you can go. There are no bunus levels and you can't earn extra lives.

Classic: Play from level 1 to 100 and your max score is saved after each level and you can start from that point. Watch your lives though, as they are also recorded, so you may not always want to start at the last level you completed.

You can also switch between the T2k, TxK and remix soundtrack in the game selection mode. It doesn't say it on screen, so it is somewhat of an Easter egg. It is different on each platform, so experiment which button it is on the controller.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 4

I played it for a couple of hours last night and got wrecked. Sleeping on it must have done something magical though, because I came back and plowed through Pure Mode and got a game over near level 70. The controls felt floaty at first, but after spending time with it I realized they are actually really precise. It just took some time to get used to (d-pad, Xbox One version).

One thing that leads to that sorta-floaty feeling is you have three different states you can be in on a single row: perfectly centered, or one arm out to the right, or one arm out to the left. Tapping the d-pad once will cause you to reach out, which is extremely handy for taking out enemies before they get onto your slot on the web. Once you get the hang of that you'll find the controls to be really solid.

Super Zapper kills awards twice as many points, so I really like the incentive to actually use it outside of survival reasons. If I play well and don't have to use it in a panic situation, I'll still use it anyway to get those extra points. It's also a nice touch that when you get caught, you have a quick moment to use your Super Zapper to escape. In Tempest 2000, when you get caught, that's it, you're dead.

Fantastic game overall, I'm really having a blast with it. I thought the formula would get old, but Jeff 'n crew really made some nice changes and as a result the game stands on its own. Definitely worth buying even if you have played the previous entries.

• Like 2

It must be different on Xbox one, because on ps4 when you stop holding a direction, your ship continues to coast a few rows over. My only other experience is jaguar 2k version and when you stopped holding over, you stopped moving.

Like I said, it's mostly not noticeable, as you may constantly move, but when you have gaps in enemies, or are down to a last one, this coasting is really obvious.

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

It must be different on Xbox one, because on ps4 when you stop holding a direction, your ship continues to coast a few rows over. My only other experience is jaguar 2k version and when you stopped holding over, you stopped moving.

Like I said, it's mostly not noticeable, as you may constantly move, but when you have gaps in enemies, or are down to a last one, this coasting is really obvious.

No, it's the same in the Xbox version. Press in the opposite direction to stop the drifting.

Had a decent session on Friday where I played myself into the top 10 on Pure mode. I got a green track bonus stage, and wow that is much harder in this game, but it scores a ton of points.

I don't know how far into the game I was, but I got finished off when these spiral shaped enemies started showing up, and when you shoot them they twist the entire screen around. I love how the majority of enemies cause some crazy effect on the screen when destroyed, and then you start comboing those effects....just pure visual mayhem. In essence, T4K is Music Visualizer: The Game.

I want to say too that somehow, as great as this game is, it hasn't killed Tempest 2000 for me. There's still some things on that game I prefer, even visually there are some little effects I still like, so I have not lost any enthusiasm to play T2K. But I wouldn't say either game is superior, and that is kinda cool.

• 2 weeks later...

menu is so barebones.....

Btw is it possible to play on windowed mode? I have an Ultrawide monitor and letter menus seem to be messed, plus I'd prefer a smaller game window. ALT-Enter does nothing

at this point, you have to change resolutions.

there will be some kind of patch update at some point, but no date on when exactly.

later

• 2 weeks later...

Don't like it! Got it on the Xbox One and when you die, the enemies stay at the top and don't retreat back down the web!

While it's tough to get used to, there are a few good things about this. For one, you don't have to do the entire web over from the start like you did in previous games. Also, you keep whatever power-ups you had accrued by that point (including your Super Zapper).

While it's tough to get used to, there are a few good things about this. For one, you don't have to do the entire web over from the start like you did in previous games. Also, you keep whatever power-ups you had accrued by that point (including your Super Zapper).

in the original tempest, you never restarted the level, you just continue where you left off.

i dont' know about t2k, txk, tempest 3000, etc.

later