Photo

MIDI Interface

458 replies to this topic

#451 mytek ONLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• 3,413 posts

Posted Sat May 11, 2019 9:52 AM

F*ck! Yes, you´re right - I was sleeping. I know the meaning of a dashed line, but I didn´t perceived it... Luckily I didn´t power it up until yet. Thanks for that important hint!

Probably the right angle headers doesn´t fit if the waveboard is mounted below. I´ll report.

Sleepy

Edit: Can anybody (admin?) add a notice in post #447 that the pics are not correct?

Could've happened to anyone. Perhaps in an odd sort of way by it happening to you, it will prevent others from doing the same. I know that's probably no comfort to you since you have the difficult job of now making it right. Hopefully your desoldering skills are very good :thumbsup:

You'll have much better results if you PM Albert directly to make the requested change to your previous post.

#452 Sleepy OFFLINE  

Sleepy

Moonsweeper

• 365 posts

Posted Sat May 11, 2019 10:57 AM

Desoldering is not a real problem. However, if the pcb will break, I have still two spares - fortunately minimum purchase at OHS is three.  :D

It´s a little bit annoying that I was not meticulous. ;-) 

Sleepy

#453 ivop OFFLINE  

ivop

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 923 posts

Posted Sat May 11, 2019 5:07 PM

I was sleeping.

Username checks out ;)

Edit: Can anybody (admin?) add a notice in post #447 that the pics are not correct?

PM Albert. He'll fix it.

#454 rdea6 OFFLINE  

rdea6

River Patroller

• 2,836 posts

Posted Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 PM

F*ck! Yes, you´re right - I was sleeping. I know the meaning of a dashed line, but I didn´t perceived it... Luckily I didn´t power it up until yet. Thanks for that important hint!

Probably the right angle headers doesn´t fit if the waveboard is mounted below. I´ll report.

Sleepy

Capture.PNG

After selecting this option the select Manage Attachment.  Then select each picture you don't want any more scroll down and mouse click delete.. 

#455 Sleepy OFFLINE  

Sleepy

Moonsweeper

• 365 posts

Posted Sun May 12, 2019 7:47 AM

Found it - thanks. I didn´t know this option until yet. :-)

But it would be better to keep the pics with a warning to help other user to build it the right way. If I´m not shure how to install something, I often search for pictures how other did it... :-)

Perhaps in an odd sort of way by it happening to you, it will prevent others from doing the same

Sleepy

#456 mytek ONLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• 3,413 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2019 12:20 PM

I was over at Bob Woolley's house yesterday, and of course I brought a few toys to play with. My fully cased 1088XLD and my 600XLM with built-in MIDI (post), as well as Dropcheck's MIDI-MAZE Cart. So having rushed out the door of my shop with these items in hand, I had totally forgotten that the 1088XLD was setup as a PAL machine, and the 600XL was NTSC. Anyway when I later realized this, I thought "oh great trying to demo NTSC MIDI-MAZE connected to a PAL machine ain't going to work" this was according to some posts I remembered reading somewhere???

So I'm over at Bob's and decide to try to connect the two machines anyway and see if they can communicate to each other while attempting to play multi-machine/multi-player MIDI-MAZE. To my joy everything worked just fine :thumbsup: :) . So unless someone can show different, I think we can write off the PAL/NTSC MIDI-MAZE communication issue as urban legend. Well at least as far as a MIDI Ring network connectivity is concerned.

#457 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,930 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2019 3:15 PM

MIDI is MIDI world wide, the only issue would be if midi maze was delivering updates 'just in time' sync'd to different frame rates... if the midi maze software is updating on a timed interval or using midi timer as opposed system frequency clocks there shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by _The Doctor__, Mon May 13, 2019 3:16 PM.

#458 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,958 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2019 4:49 PM

Hello guys

A couple of years ago, we hooked up 8 Atari 8 bit computers at the Fujiama.  One of them was an NTSC, the rest PAL.  The NTSC 800XL didn't seem to want to behave somehow (not sure what happened exactly, maybe "TheMontezuma" can remember, IIRC it was his 800XL), so we assumed the cause of the problem was that the 800XL was an NTSC in a network with 7 PAL Atari 8 bit computers.

Sincerely

Mathy

#459 mytek ONLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• 3,413 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 PM

The thing about a MIDIMATE compatible interface is that it generates the MIDI clock independent of the Atari. In theory the MIDI interface should be doing all of the timekeeping where the bit rate is concerned. So that only left some other unknown sync factor of the game as a possible corrupting influence when running a mixed mode setup. Bob and I played between the PAL and NTSC machines for enough time that if there was a problem it should have reared it's ugly head, but never did. Maybe it would take more machines in the ring to affect things, i dunno.

Mathy I'm sure you saw what you did, but maybe there was some other explanation not linked to the machine being NTSC that made it the odd one to cause trouble. However to test the sheer number of computers that were linked together in that ring will have to be left up to someone else. I know Brent is planning an event with at least that many machines, and likely several more so maybe he can try the same scenario that caused the issues you were seeing.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users