Photo

Easy to Learn, Hard to Master: The Fate of Atari ... on Amazon

11 replies to this topic

#1 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Moonsweeper

• 447 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:54 PM

Not sure if anyone else has been waiting for this, but the folks from 8bitgeneration have released Easy to Learn, Hard to Master: The Fate of Atari

I removed my Amazon links since they had the wrong video. Please see my next post.

#2 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 447 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:02 PM

I'd hold off on buying it, I just bought it from Amazon US and it appears to be another video, not related to Atari...be warned!

Sorry! Must be some Amazon mixup.

Update: I got a refund from Amazon and purchased a copy from Vimeo. I have verified this is the correct video showing ;)

http://www.8bitgener....com/shopintro/

#3 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 447 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:20 PM

Well, after watching it, I'm kind of disappointed. It was all about the arcade machines and the 2600, nothing about the 400, 800 or any of the other computer models.

#4 GlowingGhoul OFFLINE  

GlowingGhoul

Chopper Commander

• 196 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 PM

Ugh, bought it and got some terrible documentary movie too. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. 

#5 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 447 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:16 PM

Ugh, bought it and got some terrible documentary movie too. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. 

Well, I can vouch for the Vimeo version being correct. Fortunately Amazon is good about refunds, you have to figure out how to actually contact them to ask for the refund ;)

The video was good, for what it was, but with nothing about the 400, 800 etc... I was looking for a refund button on Vimeo as well.

#6 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 6,594 posts
  • Sherlock made it to 15 before he left us.

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:35 PM

The link on the website for Amazon goes to Amazon UK.

#7 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 447 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:40 PM

The link on the website for Amazon goes to Amazon UK.

Right, I searched for it on the US Amazon website and that's where I purchased a copy from and got some other video.

#8 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 6,594 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:54 AM

Does Vimeo take paypal? I don't want to have to join just to find out I can't buy it there anyway.

#9 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,260 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:59 AM

Looks like it's also available on iTunes, but costs several dollars more.

#10 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 447 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:14 PM

Yes, Vimeo accepts PayPal.

#11 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 6,594 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:46 PM

Yes, Vimeo accepts PayPal.

Cool, thanks for the info.

#12 ACML OFFLINE  

ACML

Dragonstomper

• 661 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:46 PM

Finally saw this on Amazon ($1.99).  It's a good watch, but it is solely a 2600 documentary.  Absolutely no mention of the 8-bit computers.  A little irritating as the documentary several time mentions that Atari needed a VCS II, but neglects to mention the existence of the 400/800. The only good decision Ray Kassar made, but was too incompetent to market.  Still don't understand how the losses could pile up that fast during the crash.  I wish they spent more time describing how the fall (financially) happened so fast.  It blames bad games, but Manny Gerard and Nolan Bushnell elude to the fact the the market was saturated.  Everyone who wanted a VCS bought one and the phenomenal growth could not be sustained.  The technology of the 2600 was limited and the 400/800 could have solved Atari's issues if hey had marketed it correctly or pushed the 5200 out sooner (like 1981).

Someone on AA mentioned that the 400/800 was Atari's last good decision and it appears to have been a complete accident.  So true.

Edited by ACML, Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users