Photo

Help required: Whats wrong with my 800XL?

800XL Atari 8-bit fault display missile sprite

14 replies to this topic

#1 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Star Raider

• 93 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:00 PM

Hi, I have recent purchased a 800XL (PAL) and paired it with a SIO2SD external drive, all appears to work fine, expect on a lot of games I'm getting a corrupted sprite, and I'm not sure why, would anyone be able to shed light on what may be causing this? Configuration, software, PAL/NTSC issue, RAM or Antic failure? Note that some games appear to run perfectly. Also passes memory tests fine. :(

I apologize for the poor photos, but you can see the corrupted missile or sprite running vertically down the display, these will follow the player or enemies.

XL Issue.jpg

XL Issue 2.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. :)

#2 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,371 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:39 PM

Guess is bad GTIA based on similar past issues with other machines but hard to be sure without further info. How does it handle something like Joust in the later levels with lots of enemies floating around on-screen at once?

#3 Grover Torbel OFFLINE  

Grover Torbel

Star Raider

• 73 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 PM

This is almost identical to a problem I was having. Replacing the GTIA fixed everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 PM

Guess is bad GTIA based on similar past issues with other machines but hard to be sure without further info. How does it handle something like Joust in the later levels with lots of enemies floating around on-screen at once?

Joust fails immediately with one following the main player, it was one of the first I tried. This also appears straight away with Zaxxon, Gyrus, Attack of the Mutant Camels, Poll Position . However Loadrunner, Hero, Defender, Gallaxian, Starquake, Rampage, ChopperLifter, Dandy all run fine. :?

Edited by Lavalamp, Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 PM.

#5 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 PM

This is almost identical to a problem I was having. Replacing the GTIA fixed everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I am beginning to think the GTIA is the issue.

#6 Grover Torbel OFFLINE  

Grover Torbel

Star Raider

• 73 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48 PM

Thanks, I am beginning to think the GTIA is the issue.

The nice thing if it is the GTIA, is that it's a simple, inexpensive fix. GTIA should only be about $5+shipping, although minimum order from Best Electronics is $20.

#7 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 PM

Heres a clearer photo of the issue, the issue starts after a number of sprites appear.

File_000.jpeg

Edited by Lavalamp, Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:25 PM.

#8 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,371 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 PM

Looks very much like a GTIA issue. If you have a spare system, do a swap and see how it goes? Otherwise you'll need to track down a spare Best Electronics still sells them.

#9 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:14 PM

Looks very much like a GTIA issue. If you have a spare system, do a swap and see how it goes? Otherwise you'll need to track down a spare Best Electronics still sells them.

Thanks I have a second 800XL for parts coming, hopefully this is a socketed GTIA too, or if its working might just swap out the entire motherboard.

#10 Paul Westphal OFFLINE  

Paul Westphal

Stargunner

• 1,279 posts

Posted Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:02 PM

All Hong Kong 800XL's are socketed, as are all HK 600XL's.

#11 Stormtrooper of Death OFFLINE  

Stormtrooper of Death

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:54 PM

Thats good to know. Because I have 2 Hong Kong 800XLs.

#12 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted Thu Sep 7, 2017 11:52 PM

Thankyou! You were spot on. Replacing the GTIA fixed it. Very happy.

#13 Nezgar OFFLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,081 posts

Posted Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:57 PM

Now the burning question... does the 'bad' GTIA exhibit the same problem on the other machine you swapped the good one out of? There's a chance of a bad pin contact to the socket, that just reseating would help with.

#14 Level42 OFFLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,365 posts

Posted Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:02 PM

All Hong Kong 800XL's are socketed, as are all HK 600XL's.

Let me correct this:

All 600XL's are socketed.

:D

Edited by Level42, Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:02 PM.

#15 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 PM

Now the burning question... does the 'bad' GTIA exhibit the same problem on the other machine you swapped the good one out of? There's a chance of a bad pin contact to the socket, that just reseating would help with.

I had tried re-seating it first, but no go, the donor XL was in poorer shape than I was led to believe, missing its Sally and Pokey chips, and internal shield, did not want to risk my good components in it to test, so not operational. I was lucky that the GTIA and ANTIC were still there. I fitted the faulty GTIA in the donor for now.

Edited by Lavalamp, Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:30 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 800XL, Atari 8-bit, fault, display, missile, sprite

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users