Now With More Power!

57 replies to this topic

#1 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• 34,502 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:45 PM

Greetings!

Earlier today I moved the database for AtariAge to a new server.  This means the web server and database server are now on separate machines, and they communicate with a fast, private connection.  The new database server has a ton of RAM and should be able to cache the entire forum database in memory.  The database also resides on a fast SSD drive, versus a spinning rust hard drive, so that also helps.  And the server is running a newer version of the database software that has improved threading support, which can take advantage of the server's 24 CPU cores. 

The primary goal is to eliminate long pauses and timeouts when loading pages on the forums.  I'd love to get some feedback from users about how responsive the forum is.  And if you see anything that's not behaving as it should be, please let me know!  

Another improvement is the elimination of downtime in the middle of the night (for those of us in North/South America), or at less opportune times for those overseas in Europe, Australia, and Asia.  We will now be able to do hot backups of the databases, so daily downtime is now a thing of the past. 

This change also paves the way for migration to a new version of the forum software this winter.  The software is more resource intensive, so the new database server will help reduce any impact the hungrier forum software may have otherwise had on the site.  I also plan to migrate the store to completely new software, and the new store is also more resource intensive in terms of database usage. 

I still have some changes to complete later today that will further speed up the forum database, but I wanted to shake out any problems before I perform the next steps.  This will result in brief periods of downtown, but not nearly as long as earlier today. 

Many thanks to everyone who's purchased a forum subscription.  These subscriptions help pay the server hosting fees, various software licenses (the forum alone is ~$300 a year), and other costs associated with running AtariAge.  And these costs just went up significantly with the addition of a new server dedicated to keeping the site fast and responsive.  

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! 

..Al

#2 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,686 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:00 PM

Another improvement is the elimination of downtime in the middle of the night (for those of us in North/South America) . . .

That will be a nice change.

#3 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,969 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:22 PM

And if you see anything that's not behaving as it should be, please let me know!  

I thought that's what the moderators were for.

#4 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,004 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:42 PM

I thought that's what the moderators were for.

Locking thread...

#5 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• 5,421 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:10 PM

It feels faster!!! :o :o :o

#6 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 34,502 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:10 PM

It feels faster!!! :o :o :o

Not sure if serious. :D

#7 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• 3,345 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:17 PM

Access seemed brutally slow sometimes, over the past month or so.

Today, at least, it is much faster.

#8 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 34,502 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:25 PM

Access seemed brutally slow sometimes, over the past month or so.
Today, at least, it is much faster.

Thanks for the report! Yeah, I was experiencing a fair bit of slowdown the past few weeks, it was definitely time to do something. Should get faster as well once I make some additional changes later tonight.

..Al

#9 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,102 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:41 PM

Definitely feels a bit snappier on my iPad. Thanks Al!

#10 Sauron OFFLINE  

Sauron

Quadrunner

• 5,247 posts
  • In the land of Mordor.

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:09 PM

Tons of ram...SSD...24(!) CPU cores...you can't let us geeks hang in the wind like that. We want some specs!  8)

#11 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,686 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:21 PM

Tons of ram...SSD...24(!) CPU cores...you can't let us geeks hang in the wind like that. We want some specs!  8)

All you need to know is that it lets me PM 5 MB nude photos of myself to random AtariAge members every 30 seconds (with the automated feature that is only available to subscribers) without putting a strain on the system.

#12 Iwantgames:) OFFLINE  

Iwantgames:)

River Patroller

• 2,247 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:37 PM

All you need to know is that it lets me PM 5 MB nude photos of myself to random AtariAge members every 30 seconds (with the automated feature that is only available to subscribers) without putting a strain on the system.

Where's my nudes? I demand hot girls full nude now! :P

I really need to subscribe, I love this site :)

#13 H454 OFFLINE  

H454

Moonsweeper

• 449 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:54 PM

Speaking Of subscriptions, the link that describes the benefits of being a subscriber is broken or non-existent.

https://atariage.com...e/subscriptions

I have tried it a couple times in the last couple months.

I would like to see the benefits, maybe it would push me over the edge into subscribing.icon_wink.gif

Edited by H454, Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 PM.

#14 DuggerVideoGames OFFLINE  

DuggerVideoGames

Dragonstomper

• 586 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 PM

Things do seem to load faster to me now.  This site never really crawled on me, but there was a noticeable slowdown in recent weeks.  Sometimes the site is down for 20 minutes or so late at night (usually sometime between 3:00-4:00 a.m. EDT).  If I do late-night browsing soon, I'll let you know if I experience the site being down or not.

#15 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 34,502 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 PM

Speaking Of subscriptions, the link that describes the benefits of being a subscriber is broken or non-existent.
https://atariage.com...e/subscriptions

I have tried it a couple times in the last couple months.

I would like to see the benefits, maybe it would push me over the edge into subscribing.icon_wink.gif

Interesting, that page loads fine unless you load it with https. Here's the page:

http://atariage.com/...e/subscriptions

The forum only uses SSL for the login pages, and the forum does not maintain encrypted pages while browsing. This is something that's better supported in the newer version of the forum software, but not the version we are running. How are you coming across this page?

..Al

#16 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 34,502 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:31 PM

Things do seem to load faster to me now.  This site never really crawled on me, but there was a noticeable slowdown in recent weeks.  Sometimes the site is down for 20 minutes or so late at night (usually sometime between 3:00-4:00 a.m. EDT).  If I do late-night browsing soon, I'll let you know if I experience the site being down or not.

The site won't be down in the middle of the night for ~20 minutes from here on out.

..Al

#17 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,257 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:39 PM

It does feel faster.

Edited by adamchevy, Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:39 PM.

#18 toiletunes ONLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 3,791 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:11 PM

Insert "two 32-bit servers operating in tandem" joke here.

#19 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,086 posts
  • videogamestores.net/

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:36 PM

The site won't be down in the middle of the night for ~20 minutes from here on out.

..Al

Thats a nice change for those of us who surf thru the forums during the early morning hours!

It does seem to load faster too!!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#20 GoldLeader OFFLINE  

GoldLeader

River Patroller

• 2,082 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:54 AM

It'll be so nice to get to 2AM and not have the down time!!

#21 RamrodHare OFFLINE  

RamrodHare

Dragonstomper

• 584 posts
  • Lost in Time.

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:57 AM

I'm seeing an improvement. Sometimes the site would lag when I hit post. That's no longer happening. Also, pages do seem to be loading faster for me. Nice work Al! :thumbsup:

#22 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 23,351 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:08 AM

Another improvement is the elimination of downtime in the middle of the night (for those of us in North/South America), or at less opportune times for those overseas in Europe, Australia, and Asia.  We will now be able to do hot backups of the databases, so daily downtime is now a thing of the past

Yay! :thumbsup:

#23 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,969 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:22 AM

..Al

Well... there goes my only window left for sleeping.

#24 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 4,939 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:02 AM

..Al

Overly-Attached-Girlfriend-GIF-1.gif

#25 Lord Innit OFFLINE  

Lord Innit

Moonsweeper

• 263 posts
  • Cleaning up Liberty City.

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:18 AM

Wow! Have we got Zippy the Porcupine shifting all this data around or what?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users