IGNORED

Top Essential Titles for a New 2600 Collector

racketboy

Hi Everyone

I've been into retro gaming for a couple decades, but being born in 1980, I had limited exposure to the 2600 (my older cousin had one, but that was about it) and I leaned more towards the NES/Genesis and the forward.

In more recent history, I have been accumulating some Atari goodness. I have about 70 bare carts, 10 boxed, and a couple sealed.

Anyway.... for somebody that appreciates classic gaming, but is coming in rather fresh to the platform, what 20 or 30 games would you recommend as essentials in terms of gameplay and/or showing off what the system is capable of. I'd probably stay away from modern homebrew for now, but if you want to throw in some honorable mentions, that's cool ;)

Thanks for your time!

Make sure you grab some Imagic games if you haven't already. Atari is an oddity in my experience in that the high-profile third party games almost always trump the first party lineup.

I've enjoyed everything of theirs I've played so far, but for starting make sure you have Demon Attack, Atlantis, and Cosmic Ark (my personal favorite.)

The Activision lineup is great as well, but everybody knows that already. For something more obsure, I enjoy Worm War I quite a bit.

Hello and welcome! :) I recommend most of Imagic's games, with Dragonfire getting a special mention. Ver colorful.

Secret Quest by Atari, gets a special mention too, mainly because it's a bit of a secret to many Atari players, and of course, good old Berserk. Star Raiders, really complex, but not a bad choice to show off the system. Same for Solaris.

Other games, Q*bert is a classic, and Astroblast can use either the joystick or the paddles, so that kind of shows off the system a bit.

If you like pitfall, pitfall2 is great, more straightforward, but cool, and the music! I like kung fu master, side scrolling fighter. Dig dug was done very well on the 2600, as was frogger. I liked journey escape and entombed, vertical scrolling dodgefests. Artillery dual is a personal favorite for playing with friends as is combat. While not pretty, I put a lot of time into video pinball, midnight magic is prettier, but I'm always on video pinball.

Anything by Activision pretty much, as well as Atari's first party fare. Parker bros and Imagic are also good co's.

What games you got so far? Do you want to play with people, or mostly solo? Do you have any special controllers like keypads, paddles, or a driving controller?

2600 may not be a powerhouse (ha!) But it certainly has a wide range of great games.

For homebrew, I liked jammed (unblock spaces to get your car out) skeleton (first person perspective, shoot skeletons) and go fish (eat smaller fish and dodge bigger ones)

I'd recommend...

Activision: Beamrider, H.E.R.O., Pitfall I&II, Enduro, Starmaster

MNetwork: Space Attack, Bump N Jump

Parker Bros: Q*bert, Gyruss, Montezuma's Revenge

CBS Electronics: Wizard of Wor, Solar Fox

Imagic: Demon Attack, Dragonfire, Cosmic Ark

Atari: Ms. Pacman, Phoenix, Adventure, Space Invaders, Asteroids

• Like 1

Sweet! Thanks, everyone!

Ok so far, here's the lineup that everyone's recommended (with asterisks beside ones I already own):

Adventure *
Artillery Dual *
Asteroids *
Astroblast
Atlantis *
Barnstorming *
Beamrider
Beamrider
Berserk *
Bump N Jump
Circus Atari *
Cosmic Ark *
Demon Attack *
Dig Dug *
Dragonfire
Dragonfire
Enduro *
Entombed
Frogger *
Frostbite *
Gyruss
H.E.R.O.
Journey Escape
Kaboom *
Kung Fu Master
Midnight Magic *
Millipede
Montezuma's Revenge
Ms. Pacman *
Phoenix *
Pitfall *
Pitfall II
Q*bert *
River Raid *
Secret Quest
Solar Fox *
Solaris *
Space Attack
Space Invaders *
Spider Fighter
Star Raiders *
Starmaster
Video Pinball *
Wizard of Wor
Worm War
Yars Revenge *
I added Yars Revenge as it's one of my favorites so far :)
Keep the recommendations coming. If you think there's ones that are missing from the essentials list, please share and maybe nominate which ones to take off to make room ;)
Edited by racketboy

What games you got so far? Do you want to play with people, or mostly solo? Do you have any special controllers like keypads, paddles, or a driving controller?

2600 may not be a powerhouse (ha!) But it certainly has a wide range of great games.

I didn't want to list all of what I had originally because I didn't want that to limit or skew the recommendations too much :)

I probably play mostly alone, but I am up for two player games. I'd love to have some to share with my wife and kids if nothing else.

I think I have some paddles, but that's about it. I am up for picking up extra controller, so just inform me of what is worthwhile but required ;)

If there's ones I have that I should focus on, that's helpful -- that's half of why I'm asking -- to know what to start on. When you buy a bunch of games in a lot, it's hard to know what to devote time to. Also, I'd like to know what other essentials I should be on the lookout for when I see them in a shop or in a group.

I think I tend to go towards shooters and arcade-like titles that are puzzle/platform types. I also like games that are just plain interesting and somewhat unique. I realize in the pre-8bit, "unique" may be hard to come by, but I think you get the idea.

Here's what I have so far:

Adventure

Air-Sea Battle
Alien
Asteroids
AstroBlast
Atlantis
Barnstorming
Berzerk
Bowling
Centipede
Circus Atari
Combat
Comic Ark
Crystal Castles
Dark Cavern
Defender
Demon Attack
Demons to Diamonds
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Junior
Enduro
ET
Fire Fly
Freeway
Frogger
Frogs and Flies
Frostbite
Galaxia
Galaxian
Grand Prix
Home Run
Jr. Pac-Man
Jungle Hunt
Kaboom
Maze Craze
Mignight Magic
Missle Command
Moon Patrol
Ms. Pac Man
Outlaw
Pac-Man
Phoenix
Pitfall!
Pole Position
Pole Position II
Popeye
Q-bert
Reactor
RealSports Baseball
River Raid
Skiing
Solar Fox
Solaris
Space Invaders
Space Jockey
Sssnake
Stampede
Star Raiders
Star Voyager
Star Wars: Jedi Arena
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Street Racer
Super Breakout
Taz
Towering Inferno
Turmoil
Vanguard
Video Olympics
Video Pinball
Wabbit
Warlords
Yars Revenge
Edited by racketboy

I also like games that are just plain interesting and somewhat unique. I realize in the pre-8bit, "unique" may be hard to come by, but I think you get the idea.

"Pre 8-bit?" :? Not to derail into a whole thing about "bitness" but every programmable console since the Channel F was 8-bit.

(*waits for somebody to jump in with, "nuh-uh, some of the Microvision carts had 4-bit onboard processors!"*)

And anyway, the more you dig into the Atari's library, you'll find some very strange titles. Gotta remember, it was the Wild West of game design back then.

• Like 1

"Pre 8-bit?" :? Not to derail into a whole thing about "bitness" but every programmable console since the Channel F was 8-bit.

(*waits for somebody to jump in with, "nuh-uh, some of the Microvision carts had 4-bit onboard processors!"*)

And anyway, the more you dig into the Atari's library, you'll find some very strange titles. Gotta remember, it was the Wild West of game design back then.

Lol ok -- I thought that was risk to word it that way. I guess I thought the Atari 7800 was the line for 8 bit. Sorry.

So would you just say that I don't have a lot with 1st and 2nd generation consoles? (per wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_home_video_game_consoles

For what it's worth, these are ones I had on my wishlist for a while back -- are any of them just as good if not better than the ones in the summary above that don't have asterisks by them?

Pengo

Beany Bopper

Private Eye

Fantastic Voyage

Joust

H.E.R.O. was also on the list, but you guys recommended it a few times ;)

Lol ok -- I thought that was risk to word it that way. I guess I thought the Atari 7800 was the line for 8 bit. Sorry.

No need to be sorry. :) I think either I misunderstood what you meant, or you miscommunicated what you meant. :P I thought you were referring to systems "before 8-bit" (you said "pre-8bit"), which could only be something like the first Odyssey system, which had no CPU and therefore no bit-depth or register width, and which predated all consoles that do.

The last true 8-bit systems I can think of would be things like the Game Boy and Game Gear, although I'm sure somebody can throw some obscure early '90s bullshit at me like the Gamate or something. I think the last "real" 8-bit consoles would be in that late-'80s NES/SMS/7800 group. Technically, the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx actually ran on an 8-bit CPU as well, but is often thought of as 16-bit system thanks to its 16-bit dedicated graphics processor.

Several older 8-bit computer systems were repackaged into game consoles around that time, as well (Atari XEGS, C64GS, etc.) if you want to count those.

So would you just say that I don't have a lot with 1st and 2nd generation consoles? (per wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_home_video_game_consoles

Firstly, I always opt out of the whole "generation" discussion since so many generational delineations are both arbitrary and incredibly flawed. For example, your Wikipedia link has the Channel F in both Gen 1 and Gen 2, differentiating between the "VES" and "System II" even though they're almost the exact same hardware under the hood. Furthermore, it has the likes of the Channel F and Studio II in the same generation as the Atari 5200 and Colecovision. Uh...NO.

(Wikipedia's list of "1st generation" consoles looks like the Odyssey, Fairchild, PC-50X, and a grab-bag of random dedicated consoles from around the globe. Hardly comprehensive or well-reasoned.)

Secondly, I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if I don't think you own a lot of the consoles Wikipedia describes as "1st and 2nd generation?" :? (A weird thing to ask since you'd know better than I would. :P :-D )

For what it's worth, these are ones I had on my wishlist for a while back -- are any of them just as good if not better than the ones in the summary above that don't have asterisks by them?

Pengo

Beany Bopper

Private Eye

Fantastic Voyage

Joust

Joust is a must-own. Fantastic Voyage is a great hidden gem IMO. :)

I'm not real big on the other three, but they're nevertheless well-done games. You may like them more than I do. :) FWIW Private Eye is a very impressive title, but complex and not particularly intuitive--definitely one of those "read the manual" games. :-D Pengo just doesn't click for me. I thought Beany Bopper was okay, if not especially memorable.

Pengo

Beany Bopper

Private Eye

Fantastic Voyage

Joust

I have a spare Joust if you want it. I say it's another good one.

Joust is a must-own. Fantastic Voyage is a great hidden gem IMO. :)

I'm not real big on the other three, but they're nevertheless well-done games. You may like them more than I do. :) FWIW Private Eye is a very impressive title, but complex and not particularly intuitive--definitely one of those "read the manual" games. :-D Pengo just doesn't click for me. I thought Beany Bopper was okay, if not especially memorable.

Great to know -- this is very helpful -- thanks!

No need to be sorry. :) I think either I misunderstood what you meant, or you miscommunicated what you meant. :P I thought you were referring to systems "before 8-bit" (you said "pre-8bit"), which could only be something like the first Odyssey system, which had no CPU and therefore no bit-depth or register width, and which predated all consoles that do.

The last true 8-bit systems I can think of would be things like the Game Boy and Game Gear, although I'm sure somebody can throw some obscure early '90s bullshit at me like the Gamate or something. I think the last "real" 8-bit consoles would be in that late-'80s NES/SMS/7800 group. Technically, the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx actually ran on an 8-bit CPU as well, but is often thought of as 16-bit system thanks to its 16-bit dedicated graphics processor.

Several older 8-bit computer systems were repackaged into game consoles around that time, as well (Atari XEGS, C64GS, etc.) if you want to count those.

Firstly, I always opt out of the whole "generation" discussion since so many generational delineations are both arbitrary and incredibly flawed. For example, your Wikipedia link has the Channel F in both Gen 1 and Gen 2, differentiating between the "VES" and "System II" even though they're almost the exact same hardware under the hood. Furthermore, it has the likes of the Channel F and Studio II in the same generation as the Atari 5200 and Colecovision. Uh...NO.

(Wikipedia's list of "1st generation" consoles looks like the Odyssey, Fairchild, PC-50X, and a grab-bag of random dedicated consoles from around the globe. Hardly comprehensive or well-reasoned.)

Secondly, I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if I don't think you own a lot of the consoles Wikipedia describes as "1st and 2nd generation?" :? (A weird thing to ask since you'd know better than I would. :P :-D )

Yeah, it was kinda a lazy way of saying before 7800/NES/Master System.

And no, the 2600 is the oldest thing I currently have :)

That's very generous of you! Do you have a BST list or anything in case we want to combine? I'd hate to have you spend postage for just the one cart :)

Sure, I was just going through and separating out my extras. On your list, I also have Pitfall II, Dragonfire, and Secret Quest. I'll provide pictures in a minute, Secret Quest isn't in good shape, but the others are very nice.

List of others I have:

Pac Man

Stellar Track

Steeplechase

Mega Force

Skeet Shoot

Spacechase

River Raid

Moonsweeper

Star Voyager

Moonsweeper is hard, but also very nice and colorful, I think you'd like it too.

You have any extras for trade? :)

Edited by up2knowgood

Sure, I was just going through and separating out my extras. On your list, I also have Pitfall II, Dragonfire, and Secret Quest. I'll provide pictures in a minute, Secret Quest isn't in good shape, but the others are very nice.

List of others I have:

Pac Man

Stellar Track

Steeplechase

Mega Force

Skeet Shoot

Spacechase

River Raid

Moonsweeper

Star Voyager

Moonsweeper is hard, but also very nice and colorful, I think you'd like it too.

You have any extras for trade? :)

Cool! Here's my doubles so far -- anything you'd like?

Air-Sea Battle
Circus Atari
Combat
Demon Attack
Maze Craze
Missle Command
Sssnake
Star Raiders
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Street Racer
Towering Inferno