IGNORED

Computer Module Help

Sir Jay

I recently bought a computer module over fleabay. It was cib, and it looks like it was lightly used at the most. I followed the directions in the manual, but the screen just comes up black. I am pretty sure it is getting power because when I spin the audio dial there is static. I also know my master component is working.

I tried the pull it slightly out while pushing reset, like I have done often with games, with no luck. I have also tried q-tips and alcohol. Still no luck. Does anyone have any ideas/ tricks/ tips for trouble shooting?

Thanks

I recently bought a computer module over fleabay. It was cib, and it looks like it was lightly used at the most. I followed the directions in the manual, but the screen just comes up black. I am pretty sure it is getting power because when I spin the audio dial there is static. I also know my master component is working.

I tried the pull it slightly out while pushing reset, like I have done often with games, with no luck. I have also tried q-tips and alcohol. Still no luck. Does anyone have any ideas/ tricks/ tips for trouble shooting?

Thanks

Did the power supply come with the module ?

Interesting that it didn't say that in the actual directions. Thanks.

Wouldn't that have been nice of them? They forgot to include it in the Owner's Guide, so they listed in in the Errata page of corrections:

post-39531-0-45384500-1503797751_thumb.jpg

The other booklet, the Guide To Home Computing, does mention it:

post-39531-0-58690000-1503797750_thumb.jpg

You can find an electronic copy of the "step by step guide to home computing" here. http://www.intellivisionbrasil.com.br/Hardware_ECS.htm

Would it have been technically possible for the ECS to start without a cartridge? The keyboard component does, sounds like a design bug or maybe a cost saving decision.

It was technically possible, but it was most likely a both a cost saving decision and a design decision. The ECS was not intended to load programs from tapes (other than the ECS's limited BASIC). This is why no-one sold ECS games on tapes back in the day or even in the homebrew market (we had to design new cartridges). The meant that, unlikely the Keyboard Component, tape loading was mostly a secondary feature.

I put World Series Major League Baseball in the slot and baca baca bing. I'm in business. I got my butt kicked. After a few innings, I wanted to try the only other ecs game I have, melody blaster. My musical synthesizer looks a little rough, so I wasn't too hopeful. The game works fine, but my synthesizer must have a few sticky keys. When I go to the play all screen it just makes some annoying noise, which seems to be 3-5 keys stuck and all playing at once. Does anyone have experience cleaning/ troubleshooting a dirty synthesizer?

Anyways, thanks for the help. Playing WSMLB was thirty some years in the making. It really is an amazing game for the times.

• Like 1