IGNORED

Found an Imagic Kiosk!

Andred

I'm getting back into collecting after 5 or so years of downtime so I posted an ad saying I want to buy games on Craigslist. A guy contacts me and says that he has a 360 he wants to sell. When I make him an offer he also mentions he has a couple Atari consoles; a regular one and something he called "the big game selector". I thought he might mean the heavy sixer but that didn't sound quite right so I asked for pics.

Here's what he sent me:

Controllers sitting on front panel

post-11889-0-50993600-1504064202_thumb.jpg

Sitting in the guy's storage

post-11889-0-31737100-1504064279_thumb.jpg

Mostly uncovered in storage

post-11889-0-74832300-1504064311_thumb.jpg

I didn't know exactly what it was that I was looking at but I knew it was awesome. So I started doing searches for "atari big game selector", "2600 game selector", etc. Eventually found some info here on AA and knew that I had a rare find on my hands. (thanks everyone!)

So I offered him some cash for the lot of 360 and Atari stuff. He accepted and after some hassle with times for meeting he showed up and we swapped my cash for his stuff. I got it home and immediately gave it a wipe down (it was insanely dusty). According to him it powers up and he assumes it will work. I don't, but we'll see.

Here are the pictures I took of the kiosk once I got it home: http://imgur.com/a/XYVSi

You can see that there is a chunk of the plastic shield missing in the top left corner. I noticed it when we were making the exchange but I wasn't about to wreck the deal by worrying about it.

I haven't tested it yet as I don't have the proper adapter for my new TV. I'll be getting one tomorrow and hooking it up.

The lock is currently locked and I don't have keys so I can't get at the games.

My collection doesn't extend to Atari hardware at the moment so I probably won't keep it long term but I'd like to try to restore it. Maybe with the help of someone local to Cincinnati / Ohio who has experience with restoring these types of items. I've got lots of questions about this thing for people who own one. Would love to hear from some of you.

Would I be able to get at the games if I took it apart? Could a locksmith make keys for this thing? I'd like to keep the original lock on it.

Got any questions? I'll do what I can to answer!

• Like 5

It's working... it's WORKING!

post-11889-0-48412100-1504119233_thumb.jpg

The A and C buttons work well but the B button appears to be non-functioning which means I can only select 3 games right now. That shouldn't be a difficult fix and will probably work with a thorough cleaning of the contacts.

There are also some graphical glitches when you switch to one of those 3 games. I'm hoping that the carts just need to be removed and reseated after cleaning the contacts. Who knows how long the carts have been wedged into those slots! The menu screen displays without glitches (as I'm aware) and the game switching responds immediately and without issue so I'm hopeful that the cleaning would do it.

• Like 11

It's working... it's WORKING!

attachicon.gifIMG_2657.JPG

The A and C buttons work well but the B button appears to be non-functioning which means I can only select 3 games right now. That shouldn't be a difficult fix and will probably work with a thorough cleaning of the contacts.

There are also some graphical glitches when you switch to one of those 3 games. I'm hoping that the carts just need to be removed and reseated after cleaning the contacts. Who knows how long the carts have been wedged into those slots! The menu screen displays without glitches (as I'm aware) and the game switching responds immediately and without issue so I'm hopeful that the cleaning would do it.

Nice!

I see you have the V1 ROM version: Imagic, Parker, M-Network, Atari

8)

Thanks to everyone congratulating me on the find. I'm having a ton of fun examining and learning about this thing.

Good news, I checked out a video on youtube about opening arcade locks and was able to open the lock with a nail file in about 15 seconds. Not a permanent solution but the games are now out of it. I'm not sure why it's got so many non-Imagic titles. My best guess is that the person who got it swapped them and then lost the key.

That also let me clean up the inside of the plastic shield and it's looking better.

I've started cleaning that H6 but had to stop because my allergies were so bad. Working on finishing that up, as my sinuses allow.

I'm happy to take close-up pictures of anything you want to see on the Imagic. Just tell me what you're looking for.

• Like 1

Hmmm. This lot also came with 2 of these which, through a bit of digging, I've discovered to be a Newport Prostick.

post-11889-0-66370800-1504161603_thumb.jpg

I guess these were mail order items only. Most of the pictures I've seen have black bottoms. Mine have red bottoms. Anyone know the difference?

• Like 1