IGNORED

Video toaster 2000 installation headache (the software)

eightbit

So I have my A2000 all closed up and working great and decided to install the Video Toaster 2000 System 2.0 software (14 disks!) tonight, but I ran into a problem. My drive 0 is a HxC floppy emulator and drive 1 (df1:) a real floppy drive. I can start the installation from the first floppy disk, but when it asks for the second one it expects it to be in DF0:....which like I said is my HxC.

I figured I'd try to copy all 14 disks to blank .HFE images using Xcopy, and while that "appeared" to work the installation does not detect them as such.

So now I am in a dilemma. I have two solutions:

1. Open the machine and change the jumper on the floppy drive to DF0: to install this

2. Get some ADF images of the 14 system 2.0 toaster disks

I would rather go with option #2 as I have everything closed and set up...and I thought I was done ;) That said, does anyone have (or know of a link) to the Toaster 2000 system 2.0 disks (all 14 of them)? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I still have yet to even test this card!

Why not just make adfs of all your disks and use the Hxc for the entire installation process? Plus then you'll have backups of your disks...

I tried that last night (first thing I tried) using a version of X-Copy I had and I was just coming up with corrupt ADF files. BUT, I found a different version of X-Copy III this morning on a multi-pirate software disk and that DID work for copying the first disk to an ADF. So I think I got it. When I am done these should be uploaded somewhere...it appears the 14 disk system 2.0 set remains undumped (or unreleased) as far as I can find....and it is needed for the Toaster 2000.

• Like 2

An update to this:

Well, Xcopy III did not work either. The install disks were corrupt, BUT I found this nifty utility on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/tsgui

It ripped each disk in under 1 minute which had be skeptical to say the least. It touts that it can copy "any" disk to adf so I put it to the test. And...it WORKED! It copied all 14 disks in no time flat. I took the resulting ADF images from the CF hard drive and booted it with WinUAE to copy them off to my Windows machine in order to batch convert them to HFE images (and to back them up).

I then ran the painfully long 14 disk install from the converted HFE images on the Amiga and the whole installation went through without a hitch. As for using the software...I am going to have to read the manual on this one day ;) This A2000 has a PAL Super Agnus chip and is essentially a PAL machine, so the screen wigged out when I ran the Video Toaster Switcher software. I rebooted and moved to NTSC mode and the software booted up and displays normally...although the colors are odd. I was able to try some of the effects and that worked fine...but again the colors are way off (like brown and cyan and light purple). At least I know it is working for the most part and the software install side of things is complete. Maybe its the workbench color scheme causing this (Green Amiga Alien Edition) so I will have to investigate this further whenever I have the time...which will probably be a few years from now the way things are in my life...haha ;)

If anyone ever needs these images for their Toaster 2000 feel free to drop me a line. This was a lot more work than it should have been, but at least I have these permanently archived which was the most important thing.

EDIT: Ok, maybe the colors ARE correct. I have to hook a second display to this one day. The interface looks exactly like the picture here:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-9-the-video-toaster/

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

An update to this:

Well, Xcopy III did not work either. The install disks were corrupt, BUT I found this nifty utility on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/tsgui

It ripped each disk in under 1 minute which had be skeptical to say the least. It touts that it can copy "any" disk to adf so I put it to the test. And...it WORKED! It copied all 14 disks in no time flat. I took the resulting ADF images from the CF hard drive and booted it with WinUAE to copy them off to my Windows machine in order to batch convert them to HFE images (and to back them up).

That's awesome man! Congrats.

• Like 1