IGNORED

Debugger integration in Virtual Jaguar

dilinger

Hi,
Just wanted to share my debugger integration in Virtual Jaguar. Screenshot shows an example about how it looks like.
Nothing can replace the real hardware but I wanted to give a try and modify the emulator.
I have added the support of ELF/DWARF format because my toolchain is based on it, and such format can operate at source code level.
If someone knows about QT and OpenGL integration, it can be helpful to me. Because, if I build the emulator under msys2 environement, I have a correct video output but if I build it with Visual Studio 2015, the output video remains black/empty.

Will this let us set breakpoints?

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your project.

Very cool. In my spare time I've been using Virtual Jaguar to learn more about writing an emulator, assembly language, etc.

I forked Virtual Jaguar and created Chocolate Virtual Jaguar with the intention of basically removing the cruft from the codebase and using it as a huge learning project essentially for myself. If you ever release the code for this, I'd love to take a look to see what you did.

https://github.com/rocky1138/chocolate_virtualjaguar/tree/develop

Releasing my source code will probably be helpful, so people interested can tailor the application for their own environement (Linux, etc.), I let Shamus to decide if he is interested to merge my modification in the official project.

Repository: https://github.com/djipi/Virtual-Jaguar-Rx

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I got the blitter drawing lines entirely through the GPU, neat.

I tried using the linker script with VBCC. It compiled an ELF but it didnt boot in Virtual Jaguar, just gave me a green screen. Ill play with it some more and see if I can get it working.

Now I just need a real Jag!

Super good!

Would you care to share your source code for those of us less competent? :P

• Like 2

Does this work for people? Running the R2 version from dropbox gives me

"QImage::scaled: Image is a null image"

followed by a crash.

I started to compile it from source, but there are quite a few dependencies on other libs... which frustrates me a bit. Would be very handy for debugging though, working blind with VJ is very painful -- the normal debug features are next to useless.

Hi,
Sorry to read you have problems using the --debugger option.

I'm back to my place and would like to get a log file and/or the jaguar executable file used by Luigi301, it may be helpful to dig the issue.

SainT, do you use my QT DLLs package available in my dropbox?

Edited by dilinger

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I have done an update of my Debugger integration in Virtual Jaguar.

For convenience, I have done an installer to install DLLs, docs and executable.

File: virtualjaguar-wDebugger_x64_R3_Release.zip

Let me know if it works better. Thanks.

vj_ReleaseNotes.txt

• Like 1

Let me know if it works better. Thanks.

Sadly for me not :-(

The errormessage:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform pugin "windows" in "".

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

looks there are some dlls missing?

could you add them?

It seems retroarch has branched off in developing VJ on their own.

This is too funny, especially when you see things like this in the comments to that video:

post-4305-0-61942500-1510675918.png

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the RetroArch kiddies aren't doing anything with Jaguar emulation, much less improving anything. Their level of 'compentency' extends only to ripping off other emulators (and rebranding them as their own creation) and contributing nothing back--not to mention pissing off the authors of said emulators and labelling them as inferior beings for not deigning to bow to their greatness and kissing their rings.

Best laugh of the day, thanks for that! :D

• Like 1

Sadly for me not :-(

The errormessage:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform pugin "windows" in "".

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

looks there are some dlls missing?

could you add them?

Sorry about this, but I didn't got into this trouble.

My knowledge of QT is rather limited. However, following your message, I have added a qwindows.dll in the new package. Feel free to give it a try.

This is too funny, especially when you see things like this in the comments to that video:

jagchris-wishing.png

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the RetroArch kiddies aren't doing anything with Jaguar emulation, much less improving anything. Their level of 'compentency' extends only to ripping off other emulators (and rebranding them as their own creation) and contributing nothing back--not to mention pissing off the authors of said emulators and labelling them as inferior beings for not deigning to bow to their greatness and kissing their rings.

So in other words nothing will change

attachicon.gifjagchris-wishing.png

Aren't they the ass clowns that just steal emulator code and slap a front end GUI on it, and then it is "their" emulator?

• Like 2

According to that reviewer the emulation and functionality is much improved with the Retroarch version compared to the traditional version.

So seems like a little more than just slapping on a front end going on there.

Well, if you knew anything about how the Retroarch guys do things or even bothered to look at their repository, you would know that basically all they are doing is slapping a front end on--to every emulator that they can get their hands on (which was probably a contributing factor as to why byuu changed the name of bsnes to higan--Retroarch still calls it the bsnes core, and I seriously doubt they've done a blessed thing to it).

But of course, you know nothing about it; so you feel free to spout your opinion as if it had any bearing or relevance whatsoever when it's based on your complete and utter lack of knowledge of the situation.

Bravo sir, bravo.

• Like 1