Photo

Help getting back into atari

28 replies to this topic

#26 RetroSamurai OFFLINE  

RetroSamurai

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:31 AM

Same here. I have a couple of consoles that I would like to mod using the UAV units.  I have a 4-swith, and 6-switch light both NTSC.  I can't seem to find a good installation guide for the UAV installs, or even exactly what it comes with it.  Is it just the board, and I would have to source out the svideo and RCA jacks?  Or are they all included as part of the kit?  My understanding is that with the two units I have, I'll need one plugin kit (for the 6 switch) and one basic kit (for the 4-switch).

I'd appreciate it if anyone can answer these questions.  Thank you.

#27 onemoretime OFFLINE  

onemoretime

Chopper Commander

• 145 posts

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:13 PM

Haven t used this one, but they sell a complete kit for RGB. Lots of good info here. Not trying to sound like a smart a## at all, but there s literally hundreds of ways to do this, and most have been covered in the forums.           http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/

#28 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,167 posts

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:26 PM

Money spent, mod wise at least, doesn t mean the best deal, IMO. Years ago I spent quite a bit on a kit from a former member here that was supposed to be kinda up and coming. I m not going to mention names, but the old hands will know him as the same guy that burnt me and others on 7800 game to 5200 console adapters.  Anyhow, long story short, 6 months later I received a very expensive mod, that had the picture quality of a vhs copy of another vhs copy. Then I purchased and installed a really well working kit from ElectronicSentimentalities, which isn t making them at the moment.  The trick to surviving this hobby is to not pay the I want it right this friggin second price on anything. Game prices vary, and rarity changes often. A LOT of the really rare/expensive games aren t really that great as far as playability.  Deals come and go, and the community here is great for sound advise. Also keep in mind that the hobby is like collecting vacuum cleaners..... you may get a really fine collection, but it s still freakin vacuum cleaners. I figure when I croak, what I have left will probably go the route of E.T. at Alamogordo.  

Well, in the 2600s case it's the first really successful Vacuum cleaner of all time. Also, it changed Vacuum cleaners into something everyone wanted. It also took commercial Vacuum cleaners and made them affordable for the everyday consumer. Id say as Vacuum cleaners go it's at the top of the Vintage list. Especially those Heavier models. They just don't make em like they used to.

Edited by adamchevy, Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:27 PM.

#29 onemoretime OFFLINE  

onemoretime

Chopper Commander

• 145 posts

Posted Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:22 PM

Well, in the 2600s case it's the first really successful Vacuum cleaner of all time. Also, it changed Vacuum cleaners into something everyone wanted. It also took commercial Vacuum cleaners and made them affordable for the everyday consumer. Id say as Vacuum cleaners go it's at the top of the Vintage list. Especially those Heavier models. They just don't make em like they used to.

Lol, clever! Substitute  "Hoover 700"  for "Atari", and you made both points. Before the 700, and a few of its predecessors, folk had to pay a service that involved large pumps on wagons, and hoses drug all over their mansions to get vacuuming done. It was expensive, and only feasible for the wealthy. I actually have a 700, and a Atari 2600, other than the age difference, I wonder if they would be attracted to each other enough to mate if locked in a closet together? Talk about an ugly baby...

Seriously though, that s one of the problems in this niche hobby.  I love my Atari, and have had it since 78 I reckon. It s one of the first things I dried out after the flood. But, other than serious collectors ( who wouldn t want my well used stuff anyhow), who would my wife sell my collection to in bulk when I croak? I reckon there will always be a market for the really nice and rare, but I've noticed commons at antique shops for a buck each, and they never move. Maybe that s what makes the hobby great though, there s the high end for the collectors, and the low end (my end, btw), for most folk. There s a kid in the neighborhood that is a bit slow that I ve gave a lot of my stuff to, and he loves the Atari. It s easy to play for the most part (unless you count the space shuttle game). I reckon I want him to be given the whole lot when my final race is run. 

I m a bit of a different type of collector, as I do it by necessity, that is if I want to play a game.  Anything above a 5200 gives me seizures, along with some of those flashy screen 2600 third party games. Even my beloved Adventure gives me a heck of a headache when lots of things are on the screen like when I m going for the Easter egg.

My point is for new folk getting into it, is to buy simple and cheap, and not to get into a heap of a hurry to purchase impulse buys. A lot of fun can be had with commons, and the only two more expensive carts I can think of that I would maybe buy a copy of first thing would be Pitfall II, and Spy Hunter. Of course I haven t mentioned some of the fantastic hacks and homebrews in the store, but that s another story. Those folk are brilliant. If Go Fish and Adventure II aren t in my Christmas stocking this year, I m going to trade in my wife for a newer model with less mileage.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users