IGNORED

Help with Botched 2600 4-switch Composite Mod

TheMitcher

So I took the plunge and tried to install the following composite video mod on my 4-switch 2600. Ugh... it did not end well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-7800-Composite-Video-Mod-Upgrade-Kit-DIY-/300592126324?hash=item45fcafd974:m:mjyZk3U_a7jYA4o6YoJN0Cg

I've successfully soldered a number of electronic devices over the years (mostly guitar effect pedals and a few other gadgets), but it's been a while. My 2600 had a pretty poor picture on my 42" Vizio, but after the mod, it won't display a picture at all. In fact, I can't tell if the TV is receiving any signal from the console whatsoever.

To my untrained eye, it looks like the solder joints are good, and the traces look intact, so nothing looks obviously wrong. I could try to undo everything and redo it, but I'm considering trying to find someone I can ship the unit to and pay them to troubleshoot and fix my mistakes.

Any recommendations for folks who do that kind of work?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

So I took the plunge and tried to install the following composite video mod on my 4-switch 2600. Ugh... it did not end well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-7800-Composite-Video-Mod-Upgrade-Kit-DIY-/300592126324?hash=item45fcafd974:m:mjyZk3U_a7jYA4o6YoJN0Cg

I've successfully soldered a number of electronic devices over the years (mostly guitar effect pedals and a few other gadgets), but it's been a while. My 2600 had a pretty poor picture on my 42" Vizio, but after the mod, it won't display a picture at all. In fact, I can't tell if the TV is receiving any signal from the console whatsoever.

To my untrained eye, it looks like the solder joints are good, and the traces look intact, so nothing looks obviously wrong. I could try to undo everything and redo it, but I'm considering trying to find someone I can ship the unit to and pay them to troubleshoot and fix my mistakes.

Any recommendations for folks who do that kind of work?

Thanks!

Well if you took a bunch of screen shots we could probably find the issue.

Could be something simple like lack of ground on the RCA output.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen that circuit cause issues before on some 2600's. That is a pretty common circuit that will generally work, but it's not technically correct. Usually what happens is the output is not properly attentuated and the tv you are hooking into is sensitive to the signals being off. In those cases, the console might work on some tv's and not others or display in the wrong colors.

• 5 weeks later...