IGNORED

just bought an Genesis/ Mega Drive and i´m really...

... impressed!

Can´t believe what i´ve been missing. Seems like there are tons of great games (esp. 2D platformers) i didn´t even know...

Since i didn´t like the SMS i expected nothing from the Mega Drive...

Yes, i was wrong.

So, any suggestions which games to get?

and is this 32X thing worth the money?

Yeah the genesis is something special allright!

Gotta love Sonic and Phantasy Star!

As for the 32X don't waste your money the only good game on it is Doom and it's pfftt...

Just stick with the standard Genesis games untill you get bored collecting them...32X is a collector only system. :)

As for the 32X don't waste your money the only good game on it is Doom and it's pfftt...

Your credibility falters due to that one statement alone.. Doom for the 32X is as buggy as they come and locks up frequently. No saving, no passwords.

Space Harrier, Knuckles Chaotix, Virtua Racing and Star Wars Arcade are fine reasons to get a 32X but it's something you should look into after exploring the Genesis a bit. The peripheral can cost about 20 or so complete, but the games themselves are pretty cheap.. I've picked up most for about a buck a piece.

Star Control

Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Cool Spot/Spot Does Hollywood

Phantasy Star (& sequels)

Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike

James Pond

Streets Of Rage

Bare Knuckle 2

Mortal Kombat 2

Out Of This World

Populus

Gauntlet

Earthworm Jim / 2

Flashback

is this 32X thing worth the money?

Depends on how much you can get it for. I found one complete in the box at a local thrift store for $30... I even got all the little bits and pieces that came with it (Which reminds me, before you buy one, make sure you have the pass-through video cable, otherwise it's useless!). However, you really won't be using it much, and the best games have all been mentioned (Although I still want to get T-Mek for it... only home version around), so unless one of the mentioned games is a favorite, then don't bother.

If you REALLY want to expand your Genesis, you're probably better off getting a SegaCD before the 32X

--Zero

Hell..i will mention Gunstar Heroes. That game is frantic rocking fun!! Best with two players but a great one player romp all the same. All the Sonics are worth picking up...yes even 3D Blast.

Has anyone mention Ristar! That is one of my Faves as well. Also I must recommend Alisia Dragoon. It isn't the rarest game of all..but it isn't usually gotten for a buck either...

As for the 32x. Well, I happen to like Kolibri, T-Mek (Yes I do have it boxed even...but no instructions yet), VR racing Deluxe, and Metalhead. Yes I like Metalhead. Oh!...the 32x Zaxxon game is pretty cool also but on the hard side to play.

32x units can be had on ebay easily for under 20. In fact...$10 isn't unheard of for complete 32x units on ebay.

:)

If you like Wrestling with a touch of humor, I recommend Ringside Angels. You mentioned the Mega Drive so it should work. As far as I know, Ringside Angels was not brought over for the Genesis.

I would also recommend Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe 3. Sonic Spinball is fun.

Your credibility falters due to that one statement alone.. Doom for the 32X is as buggy as they come and locks up frequently. No saving, no passwords.

If you leave long games on pause and come back to them later, yeah, it'll fry your 32X, big time. But other than that, once I got another 32X to replace the one I fried (luckily I had gotten tired of Doom by then), it never froze up since.

If it starts getting jittery, then it's about to go, so lay off the Doom then!

STARFLIGHT.

Thats one of the best Genesis games ever made, I swear. It's just so unlike anything else out there for the system.

The only problem would be if the battery gives out, then it'd have to be replaced. But at least it was made by Electronic Arts, so they'd probably still be able to do it. Personally I missed the ruins on this version though, the abundance of funny messages was seriously lacking as compared to the original, but this one runs much faster and smoother than the original though, switching from conversation to battle bode to raise shields and arm weapons was WAY easier on this version than with the clunky first.

• 15 years later...

I liked genesis mech warrior. You could actually build your own mech WAY outside of what could be done.

I'd love building one with craploads of guns and missiles, and just enough heat sinks to get to some water and waste all the bad guys. Lol. Lot of fun. Man, I should look that game up, it was well over $100 on ebay back in the day.

LOL @ 20$ for 32x. Granted that WAS 15 years ago. Back then, I would have said to with the CD instead. But now, I don't know. How well are sega cds holding up? I need to hook mine up and see if it still works. When the genesis 3 came out, my 2 and CD got packed away. It's been nearly two decades since I messed with Sega cd. I never had all the parts to the 32x.

Edited by Video

Congrats on scoring a Genesis! There's a lot of great games on the system, and quite a few for all the various Genesis add-ons as well. There's the Sega CD, 32X, and the Power Base Converter that lets you play Master System games on your Genesis. Personally I love the 32X and think it's one of the most enjoyable and underrated systems I've ever owned, but if you're not a fan of big chunky early polygon graphics then it may not be for you. The 32X is a lot like the Atari Jaguar (but with a better game selection in my opinion) in that it tends to be a "love it or hate it" sort of thing. Anyway, here's a little list of games I'd recommend checking out for the Genesis and it's various attachments:

Sega 32X
After Burner
Golf Magazine Presents: 36 Great Holes
JagDoom 32X (Homebrew, Adds in the BFG 9000 and missing levels from the Jaguar version)
Knuckles Chaotix
Kolibri
Metal Head
Mortal Kombat II
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Primal Rage
Shadow Squadron
Space Harrier
Star Wars Arcade
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Racing Deluxe
Sega CD
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder (Requires Backup RAM Cart)
AH-3 Thunderstrike
Battlecorps
Brutal: Paws of Fury
Dungeon Master II: Skullkeep
Lethal Enforcers (Loose)
Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Jurassic Park
Night Trap (Sega CD 32X Version)
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
Prince of Persia
The Secret of Monkey Island
Robo Aleste
Shining Force CD (Reproduction or Get Your Wallet Ready, Requires Backup RAM Cart)
Silpheed
Snatcher (Reproduction or Get Your Wallet Ready)
Sonic CD
SoulStar
Surgical Strike
Wolfchild
Sega Genesis
After Burner II
Alien 3
Altered Beast
Battletech
Beavis and Butt-Head
B.O.B.
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Bubsy
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Chakan: The Forever Man
Championship Pro-AM
Columns
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps.
Crystal's Pony Tale
Disney's The Jungle Book
Disney's The Lion King
Dragon's Fury
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Duke Nukem 3D (Piko Interactive Release)
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Earthworm Jim
Elemental Master
Frogger
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude!
Jurassic Park
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
Lemmings
Lightening Force: Quest for the Dark Star
Mega Bomberman
Micro Machines
Monopoly
Mortal Kombat
Ms. Pac-Man
M.U.S.H.A. (Reproduction or Get Your Wallet Ready)
NHL 94
Pac-Mania
PGA Tour Golf III
Phelios
Pirates! Gold
Populous
Predator 2
Raiden Trad
The Revenge of Shinobi
Ristar
Road Rash II
RoboCop Versus The Terminator
Rocket Knight Adventures
Samurai Shodown
Scooby-Doo Mystery
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye
Shining Force
Shining in the Darkness
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Space Harrier II
Splatterhouse 2
Splatterhouse 3
Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
Streets of Rage 2
Super Battletank: War in the Gulf
Super Hang-On
Super Smash T.V.
Sword of Vermillion
Tanglewood (Homebrew)
Thunder Force III
Truxton
OutRun
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Vectorman
William's Arcade's Greatest Hits
Zany Golf
Zero Tolerance
Zoop
Sega Master System (via Power Base Converter or Master System Converter II)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Alien Syndrome (Requires Master System controller)
California Games
Choplifter!
Double Dragon
Enduro Racer
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone II
Galaxy Force
Ghost House
Golden Axe Warrior
Govellius: Valley of Doom
Hang-On & Astro Warrior
Master of Darkness (European Import)
Montezuma's Revenge (Requires Master System controller)
OutRun
Phantasy Star
Power Strike
Psycho Fox
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rampage
Rastan
R-Type
Shanghai (Requires Master System controller)
Shinobi
Sonic the Hedgehog (European Import)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (European Import)
Sonic Chaos (European Import)
Space Harrier
Tails Adventures (Homebrew Game Gear Conversion)
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Ys: The Vanished Omens

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

As Jin's list might suggest, there is a lifetime of great games to catch up on with the Genesis. The 32x ports of Space Harrier and After Burner are something to see, because they do a much better job replicating the Super Scalar hardware graphics than the Genesis does, but even the Genesis versions of those games are good.