IGNORED

uCity for Game Boy Color (aka: Sim City)

Tanooki

If you don't care to read but just grab it here ya go:

https://github.com/AntonioND/ucity

Basically what you have here is an 8bit GBC (only) version of more or less the SNES version of Sim City but with a few small minor addition such as wind farms for power. The game like the SNES has all sorts of land/water based maps that generate when you select them, but it offers a lot of save spaces too. It appears to be a MBC5+RAM+BATTERY, 128KB ROM, 128KB RAM if someone had the tech to make their own cart. Just like real Sim City you can lose, but there is no end game to win other than maxing out your space allowed. It has all the various upgrades and space promotions based upon total population size.

A very solid looking game with a decent little sound track and effects to back it up as well. It's a shame no one had the smarts or will to bother doing this legit back in GBC's life time.

Cool, I was always disappointed in the GBA, as much as I love the system, due to missing top titles from the library. Sim city is one oh those, along with populous and lemmings, and of course some of Nintendo's own titles like starfox, or the unreleased starfox 2. Nintendo's excuse was it wasn't s 3d system. Huh? Star x released up front and was a reasonable similar game, not to count later 3d games that stomped that games ass LOL.

I never got that either, and yes while it's not a 3D system it's not wise to make such claims when people put out low polygon junk like StarX, but then others do insane stuff like the french V3D engine in V-Rally 3D which looks like Sega Rally on Saturn, and then there's the Blue Roses italian engine that Wing Commander Prophecy uses which really well mimics the PC game as it has every level of that game included.

GBA had Sim City 2000 and it was more SC because they removed the underground in every way, but to have something like the original style Sim City tossed on the GBC is just fantastic. Maybe it could have happened but given GBC lasted all of like 2 years on the market before GBA showed up taking it out within roughly 3 it' sa shame it never happened.

Last night I put an hour or something on it and built it out a bit on a map and it never slows down and plays quite well. The menu is solid though I wish it would tell you what some of the icons are as it doesn't (nor does the included manual.) Over the original they've added the SC2K level stuff of schools, libraries, high schools, college, large parks, airports, sea ports, and some other things. It's really a nice blend of the 2 games choice wise for building.

Maybe your problem with the card or everdrive. I got worried reading that and just opened my game up and it's still there saved in 1955.

I've got the SAG Deluxe kit Everdrive GB with the latest firmware on it out of that smokemonster dump of all known releases including many homebrew/hacks/etc things as well. Seems my battery is mostly done, red light just popped on so time to charge so it won't fail in game as I'm also working on those odd but nicely done RPG Great Greed.

Weird. I retried today. I couldn't save until I selected a scenario map, which I saved, and THEN, I could save a ramdom map.

Great game otherwise, maybe lacking on people's desire or the city requirement. But that was an issue on the original Sim City too :D

Well, great is a big word, but it's impressive to be able to pull such a game on the puny GBC. And to make it handy to use! Great use of all buttons. It's very intuitive.

Edited by CatPix

That is so very weird, hopefully he can figure it out or just goes over the code to see where the hole is there causing it to not want to throw that save into memory.

I hope that he does a 1.1 update even if he claims that's nothing he can find, just to clean up some confusing bits with the icons by naming them once they're selected.

• 9 months later...